Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Dash Cover for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I recently purchased the Premium Dash Cover for Tesla Model S from Taptes. Just wanted to protect the dashboard from cracking from sun damage. Taptes claims the dash cover should stay in place with the “upgraded silicone anti skid design.” However, when I accelerate even moderately from a stop it slides off the dash (making the product essentially worthless). I was wondering if anyone else has this product and if so how they keep it in place. Would prefer not to use adhesive, but if I have to I want something that is heat resistant. Thanks!

Honestly didn’t know they still made dash covers/people still used them. I thought they went the way of kerb feelers. :)

Appreciate the extremely thoughtful and useful feedback. I owned my previous car for 15 years and left it out in the sun during work days. The dashboard was in terrible shape. I was hoping to keep this car looking nice for many years and wanted to protect the dash. Hopefully this thread will not devolve into the merits of whether or not dash covers are garbage. I was hoping it would be more a thread where people might have some ideas or thoughts on how to keep them in place in a Model S.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I recently purchased the Premium Dash Cover for Tesla Model S from Taptes. Just wanted to protect the dashboard from cracking from sun damage. Taptes claims the dash cover should stay in place with the “upgraded silicone anti skid design.” However, when I accelerate even moderately from a stop it slides off the dash (making the product essentially worthless). I was wondering if anyone else has this product and if so how they keep it in place. Would prefer not to use adhesive, but if I have to I want something that is heat resistant. Thanks!
Do you use any sort of protectant such as Armor All on the dash? That might "slick" it enough to prevent it from staying in place.

Appreciate the extremely thoughtful and useful feedback. I owned my previous car for 15 years and left it out in the sun during work days. The dashboard was in terrible shape. I was hoping to keep this car looking nice for many years and wanted to protect the dash. Hopefully this thread will not devolve into the merits of whether or not dash covers are garbage. I was hoping it would be more a thread where people might have some ideas or thoughts on how to keep them in place in a Model S.
Hence the smiley. My apologies. I should’ve responded with what @BigNick asked. I think gravity and heat are too hard to overcome here which might end up requiring use of small velcro pads in the corners or something?

Hence the smiley. My apologies. I should’ve responded with what @BigNick asked. I think gravity and heat are too hard to overcome here which might end up requiring use of small velcro pads in the corners or something?
Thanks. Sounds good. I have looked around at a few Velcro pad options but wasn’t sure if the adhesive was safe for the dash. Do you have a recommendation for one?

Thanks. Sounds good. I have looked around at a few Velcro pad options but wasn’t sure if the adhesive was safe for the dash. Do you have a recommendation for one?
Once again, heat will be your enemy here with the Velcro pad so you need to get the heavy duty adhesive backing ones. No particular brand.
I know you already bought the cover, but if you can’t find a solution to keep it in place and want to look at alternatives, I highly recommend the UVS100 heat shield. It is model specific and completely covers the windshield, which will not only prevent dashboard issues, but will keep the entire car much cooler.

Once again, heat will be your enemy here with the Velcro pad so you need to get the heavy duty adhesive backing ones. No particular brand.
I know you already bought the cover, but if you can’t find a solution to keep it in place and want to look at alternatives, I highly recommend the UVS100 heat shield. It is model specific and completely covers the windshield, which will not only prevent dashboard issues, but will keep the entire car much cooler.

Thanks will think about getting the heat shield.

I use the weather tech reflective windshield thingy in my black truck. Tesla mostly garaged so haven’t bothered yet. Works great at keeping the car cooler and protecting the dash. Also have used the white beach towel thrown on the dash when parked, which comes with the added benefit of being a dust rag.