Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Interior Lighting Option - History?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
I've had my eyes on the CPO site for a while, and I'm trying to figure out some specifics around this Premium Interior Lighting option. My understanding so far is that the lighting was original included with the tech package, and then became a $1,500 option, and now is a $3,500 option with other interior enhancements.

Can anyone confirm my understanding? And, does anyone know when (around which VIN sequence) the option showed up? I've been ruling out some early VINs because they don't show the option on the CPO site, but now I think the lighting may be included on some earlier cars.

Wish they'd publish a comprehensive data card of the car's options and features as it was shipped on the CPO page...

Especially true now that the Tech Package is no more. It can be tough to figure out if a CPO car lacks the Tech Package or of the car was produced after most of the Tech Package became standard equipment.

If you head over to EV-CPO.com and register, you can search by option code. Put in option code LP01 into the search box and hit enter to filter down to cars that have that on their option sheet. Also, you'll have the Options icon to click and see the option sheet for any car you are interested in to see if it has what you want. This was hugely helpful for me trying to find the earliest build cars with parking sensors, for instance.

Early cars sub 20K had all sorts of weird permutations, mine is one of them. If you have the original build sheet its helpful but still some things were included or excluded with each option and that changed like the weather. You may get a surprise or a disappointment when picking up a CPO, that has been reported here.

If I were to trade mine it would be interesting to see what would come up, I had a bunch of Options retrofitted to my P85+, I wonder if any of them would show up on CPO (I doubt it) and therefore it would be a bargain if it were out there.

My VIN is 7619, and I got it from the CPO site about 3 months ago. I do not have the tech package, but I do have the lighted exterior door handles and ambient lights on the interior of the doors. I probably have everything that the premium interior lighting package includes, but I haven't bothered to cross check.

Whether these were part of the car originally, or a surprise addition in the CPO service center reconditioning process, I have no clue.

yeah, that's about it, part of tech, then it's own massively overpriced package, now bundled with every other option so that anyone who wants even one of them needs to spend the whole $3500, I would never have paid for premium interior lighting, but it's on the car I ended up with, I guess I like it, but not enough to pay what they wanted for it.

I still can't grasp why a car that is always custom made, on an assembly line that brags about it's automation, can't figure out how to make the car customizable down to each individual option. It shouldn't increase the time or cost to build at all, and would make a lot of people happy.

yeah, that's about it, part of tech, then it's own massively overpriced package, now bundled with every other option so that anyone who wants even one of them needs to spend the whole $3500, I would never have paid for premium interior lighting, but it's on the car I ended up with, I guess I like it, but not enough to pay what they wanted for it.

I still can't grasp why a car that is always custom made, on an assembly line that brags about it's automation, can't figure out how to make the car customizable down to each individual option. It shouldn't increase the time or cost to build at all, and would make a lot of people happy.
For example what does the power liftgate have to do with the premium interior and lightning package? Why can't the power liftgate be a separate item? I wasn't going to pay $3k for the lighting package but I might of paid $500 for a power liftgate.

Yeah, that's the one option I wish I got, but I wasn't going to pay for that entire package for just the lift gate. The car was really designed to have a power lift gate. Manual is kind of awkward to close (no good handles for the bottom half of the close) and no way to visually distinguish if it's locked or just closed. I've left it inlay yes a few times and as a result unlocked with no apparent warning.

For example what does the power liftgate have to do with the premium interior and lightning package? Why can't the power liftgate be a separate item? I wasn't going to pay $3k for the lighting package but I might of paid $500 for a power liftgate.
I agree. It's stupid to have to pay for lighting aesthetics when all I need is the power lift gate. It's almost as if they bundled the least attractive options with one of the most popular so people have to pay for it...kind of like how cable subscription works.