Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Interior Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I am about to order my S85 and in doubt about some options. Wish I could afford to get a loaded P85+ but somethings got to give ;)

Can anyone provide me with some real life pictures of their interior lighting package? Do those lights stay on all the time or just when the doors are being opened? I already checked the US site for more pictures because the Dutch site only provides a small thumbnail picture and a lousy translation, but I am not sure yet.

Going from memory here on some of the items:

The ambient lights under the armrests come on when the headlights are on.
The door handle lights come on when the handles extend (duh!) and the under-door lights come on then the door is opened.
The front and rear footwell lights come on whenever the overhead interior lights come on (car in Park, door opened etc.) The're not very bright.
All of the overhead lights (the little round ones that you can also press to turn on individually) come on when a door is opened and also when Park is selected. This can be configured (On/Off/Auto) from the touchscreen.
Trunk and Frunk lights come on when either is opened.

Jack, thanks for the videos! Those really helped me out. I decided against the package.

In the Netherlands the option for the lighting is €450 which is pretty steep seeing what you get for it. I agree it should be included in the Tech Package! But then again, so should the parking sensors

Jack, thanks for the videos! Those really helped me out. I decided against the package.

In the Netherlands the option for the lighting is €450 which is pretty steep seeing what you get for it. I agree it should be included in the Tech Package! But then again, so should the parking sensors

True, but at least parking sensors are only $500.

I'm in the same boat as Dylan on deciding.

Does the Model S have any dome lights on the roof? I assume with the pano roof, there probably aren't any...or are there some on the sides? Would that explain the benefit of having premium interior lighting?

Slightly different note...do the sun visors offer lighting when opening the vanity mirror?

Does the Model S have any dome lights on the roof? I assume with the pano roof, there probably aren't any...or are there some on the sides? Would that explain the benefit of having premium interior lighting?

Slightly different note...do the sun visors offer lighting when opening the vanity mirror?

My car is early but I'm pretty sure there are the map lights up front and for the rear left and right passengers.

Normally when people are trying to decide on options, I think the standard advice is: "go with your gut, you know what you want." In the case of the lighting package I'll just say it: I think you should skip it.

I have it on my car the lights are cute, but certainly not worth $1k. I'd rather have parking sensors. Heck, I'd rather have the red piping on the seats, at least those get noticed every day. Or I'd rather have a $1k discount on the car. The lights should have stayed with the tech package or just been standard on every MS, seems so silly to price it out separately. I'd never miss it.

Normally when people are trying to decide on options, I think the standard advice is: "go with your gut, you know what you want." In the case of the lighting package I'll just say it: I think you should skip it.

I have it on my car the lights are cute, but certainly not worth $1k. I'd rather have parking sensors. Heck, I'd rather have the red piping on the seats, at least those get noticed every day. Or I'd rather have a $1k discount on the car. The lights should have stayed with the tech package or just been standard on every MS, seems so silly to price it out separately. I'd never miss it.

Good advice. I don't know if I care to have the foot/puddle lights for the back. Though the door panel lights look nice and useful.

This used to be base model stuff for what it's worth. I have a non-tech 60 and I have them (was pleasantly surprised on delivery that I had them actually). If you've got 1k to burn, they are nice, but I probably would not have added them personally.

I have the Euro-package(?) lights on my P85+ with Tech Package delivered on 8/29 in WA, USA. I also had 5.0 installed at delivery.

Honestly, I never even noticed the strip lights under the door armrests, nor the puddle lights under the front seats lighting the rear passengers' feet. They are so dim.

On a sidenote, my car was originally scheduled for delivery in mid-August (priced in Late July, just before the ala carte price change took effect), but delivery was delayed for "the Norwegian Rollout", according to my DS. I think I was upgraded to the new stuff as a result! I have the lighting, the vented defrost, and the plastic lower B-pillar furniture. I also have the turn-light lighting, but not the fog lights. The turn-lighting is very nice, and bright enough for what it does.

Oh, and to answer your question: The door and puddle lights turn on when the doors are opened.

My car is early but I'm pretty sure there are the map lights up front and for the rear left and right passengers.

dsm - do your "ambient lights" make a loud buzzing noise when the screen brightness is less than about 50% like mine do? (Sig VIN 09xx)? Mine sure do and service says they do not (yet) have a fix for that. I assume this is an early VIN problem and something changed. The P85 loaner I had (forget the VIN but it was over 10,000) did *NOT* have any buzzing.

dsm - do your "ambient lights" make a loud buzzing noise when the screen brightness is less than about 50% like mine do? (Sig VIN 09xx)? Mine sure do and service says they do not (yet) have a fix for that. I assume this is an early VIN problem and something changed. The P85 loaner I had (forget the VIN but it was over 10,000) did *NOT* have any buzzing.

Mine has no buzzing. VIN 5031