Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Package now standard for all Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla no longer sells the S75 (single-motor configuration). The S75D (dual-motor configuration) is still available. I don't remember when this change happened but it feels like it was awhile ago.

Bruce.

Technically it happened in Sept 24 2017 but Tesla kept quietly selling the leftover S75 stock until around Feb 2018 when they, apparently, ran out of inventory.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I managed to get an inventory car that was identical to the one I ordered, and they swapped me over to that so I got the discount! Very happy with the service I got, going to make sure I get the supercharging and referral transferred to the inventory car 100%.

That's what I like + dislike a bit about Tesla:
- dislike: they just don't pronounce anything. With other brands you know that a certain change is coming up and when that will be, followed by a long time before things change again. So if you, like me as well, ordered your car right before this new price adaptation (my car is now "taken into production" it says, then you just have to take it.
- like: if they change things, like the chrome trims were changed by graphite, then you will get that change too, even if you didn't order it, for it was not possible to order. So if they would have changed a major issue, you would have had the luck of getting that as well.

Still... it's sad when I indeed have to learn about 2500 USD (even a higher amount in Euro) that I could have spared... As SpudLime says I fear that there is nothing anyone can do about it, but if Tesla would really care about their customers, it would have been good to give a voucher or a small extra (like the power loader at home) instead. Now we feel a bit robbed... hope they don't get to many cuRstomers... ;-)

Reactions: jruiz510
That's what I like + dislike a bit about Tesla:
- dislike: they just don't pronounce anything. With other brands you know that a certain change is coming up and when that will be, followed by a long time before things change again. So if you, like me as well, ordered your car right before this new price adaptation (my car is now "taken into production" it says, then you just have to take it.
- like: if they change things, like the chrome trims were changed by graphite, then you will get that change too, even if you didn't order it, for it was not possible to order. So if they would have changed a major issue, you would have had the luck of getting that as well.

Still... it's sad when I indeed have to learn about 2500 USD (even a higher amount in Euro) that I could have spared... As SpudLime says I fear that there is nothing anyone can do about it, but if Tesla would really care about their customers, it would have been good to give a voucher or a small extra (like the power loader at home) instead. Now we feel a bit robbed... hope they don't get to many cuRstomers... ;-)
A software credit like free Autopilot would be nice as it doesn't really cost Tesla much. It would show good faith

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and spectrum
People are so inconsistent and hypocritical. When the price goes down, they scream "I am entitled to lower price, or at least some compensation", but if the price goes up I don't see anyone screaming to give Tesla extra money - they instead say "I locked my price when I ordered, I should not be paying any more". So which one is it people, when the price changes before you take delivery, should you be paying the old or the new price, regardless whether it went up or down?

Reactions: redy
I am in the same boat; ordered MX 5 weeks ago with the premium, now the same car is $3,500 less (with the referral). After talking to my sales rep, he says nothing we can do, in fact he suggested as an option to cancel the order and put the new one in, but I would still loose the original deposit. This seams very unfair to all current order holders. I am escalating this to the sales manager, but perhaps we can all come together and let someone at Tesla know that is not a good practice? They could at the very least offer us: maintenance for a few years, upgraded wheels, some goodies form the Tesla shop, etc. What do you all think?

An update on this - I swapped in an inventory car that happened to be identical. I got the price reduction and I guess my original car gets canceled and gets turned into an inventory car which again will get a price reduction :p And around it goes!

People are so inconsistent and hypocritical. When the price goes down, they scream "I am entitled to lower price, or at least some compensation", but if the price goes up I don't see anyone screaming to give Tesla extra money - they instead say "I locked my price when I ordered, I should not be paying any more". So which one is it people, when the price changes before you take delivery, should you be paying the old or the new price, regardless whether it went up or down?

I get your point but don't agree with it. You can't tell me if you ordered a $3,000 tv on bestbuy.com that you would be OK paying that if it is for sale at the store for $2,500 when you go to pick it up. As a company the most important thing to do is take care of your customers. Without them you don't have a company. If a customer orders something and the price changes causing a negative impact I don't see that as taking care of your customer. They have pretty decent margins on car sales and could easily absorb $2,500 per car for any open orders placed before the change. Keeping customers happy helps get them repeat business and referrals. To me sacrificing $2,500 on a $100,000 order to keep my customer happy is a no brainer.

I get your point but don't agree with it. You can't tell me if you ordered a $3,000 tv on bestbuy.com that you would be OK paying that if it is for sale at the store for $2,500 when you go to pick it up. As a company the most important thing to do is take care of your customers. Without them you don't have a company. If a customer orders something and the price changes causing a negative impact I don't see that as taking care of your customer. They have pretty decent margins on car sales and could easily absorb $2,500 per car for any open orders placed before the change. Keeping customers happy helps get them repeat business and referrals. To me sacrificing $2,500 on a $100,000 order to keep my customer happy is a no brainer.

And yet, If after ordering that TV for $3,000 you show up at best buy and they say "price went up, now you have to pay $3,500 or lose your $500 deposit for not buying" you'd also be upset. What you're saying is people always want free stuff, sure, I agree with that.

In this case by the way price went up by $2,500 for those who didn't order PUP and went down $2,500 for those who did. If Tesla went with new prices, the first groups would be upset. If they went with old prices, as they are doing now, the second group is upset. Heck, if they announced they will give people who ordered PUP $2,500 worth of credit, you'll still have upset customers - this time those who "just missed it" by a day, a week, a month, a quarter. Even ones who bought a year prior will say "I should get the same credit too since I paid a full,higher price last year". The only way out of this without upsetting anyone is to give $2,500 cash to anyone who ever ordered PUP, and allow those who didn't order PUP to retrofit it for $2,500. That would be some very expensive customer happiness, considering they've sold well over 200,000 cars to date, probably most with PUP.

You are right, sure. I didn't say that I scream for "justice" or so, but I just stated that it would be nice if Tesla would give us (the ones that just bought before the price drop) some kind of compensation, but sure we are in no position to claim things. If I need to choose between the two (fixed or flexible price after buy) I would surely choose the fixed price at buy. It's the same in the sales period in shops: you buy a sweater and only a week later they put it on a special sale. No one can claim anything, because you were happy to buy on that price. So I still like what I purchased, but... ;) :)

And yet, If after ordering that TV for $3,000 you show up at best buy and they say "price went up, now you have to pay $3,500 or lose your $500 deposit for not buying" you'd also be upset. What you're saying is people always want free stuff, sure, I agree with that.

In this case by the way price went up by $2,500 for those who didn't order PUP and went down $2,500 for those who did. If Tesla went with new prices, the first groups would be upset. If they went with old prices, as they are doing now, the second group is upset. Heck, if they announced they will give people who ordered PUP $2,500 worth of credit, you'll still have upset customers - this time those who "just missed it" by a day, a week, a month, a quarter. Even ones who bought a year prior will say "I should get the same credit too since I paid a full,higher price last year". The only way out of this without upsetting anyone is to give $2,500 cash to anyone who ever ordered PUP, and allow those who didn't order PUP to retrofit it for $2,500. That would be some very expensive customer happiness, considering they've sold well over 200,000 cars to date, probably most with PUP.

This is the reason most car companies avoid making any changes until the next model year. There are no surprises when you do that as far as options. Pricing on the other hand is another story with other car companies because you have dealers and they all can charge different prices. My main complaint is for the people that have placed their order and their car is not even complete. If the product you purchased hasn't even been manufactured yet it doesn't seem right not to adjust the price. They have basically depreciated your car before it was every built. Using everyone that has ever purchased PUP as an example doesn't really apply to this situation since they already took possession of the car. We can go back and forth all day about it but it's all about customer satisfaction.

This is the reason most car companies avoid making any changes until the next model year. There are no surprises when you do that as far as options. Pricing on the other hand is another story with other car companies because you have dealers and they all can charge different prices. My main complaint is for the people that have placed their order and their car is not even complete. If the product you purchased hasn't even been manufactured yet it doesn't seem right not to adjust the price. They have basically depreciated your car before it was every built. Using everyone that has ever purchased PUP as an example doesn't really apply to this situation since they already took possession of the car. We can go back and forth all day about it but it's all about customer satisfaction.
Look through TMC how pissed off some customers have been in the past about price/option changes they just missed (so AFTER their cars were delivered). As for your point of people who didn't get their cars yet, they entered in to a contract and Tesla is honoring their part, so should they. The fact that the car might have depreciated today instead of in 2 weeks when they get their car is immaterial unless they were intending on selling the car the day they purchased it - imagine if Tesla simply announced the price change the day after they picked up the car, same depreciation on day 1 of ownership rather than day before.

Also, look at if from point of view of Tesla. They decided that installing PUP for everyone will reduce the cost of supply (better deal on higher volumes), procurement (no need to procure and manage non-pup components), and manufacturing (no need to track which car needs PUP, which one does not) and QA (no need to know whether car has PUP do check that the car has all the ordered options). Now you are saying they should continue producing both PUP and non-PUP cars for those who ordered with/without, but charge them as if they already had already the simplified procurement and manufacturing. Or, are you saying they should just switch to PUP only production and those who didn't order should now be somehow (probably not legal but for sake of argument) forced to pay an extra $2,500 at delivery to make up for discounting $2,500 for those with PUP?

Last edited: