Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Package now standard for all Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to what some have heard here in Sweden, as long as the order wasn’t looked before the changes you will get the changes. If the order had been looked you will get the car as you order it.

What do you mean by looked? Do you mean locked?

And what about the VIN? Doesn't the VIN indicates if you have PUP or not? That means they would have to change the VIN (I doubt) leave the VIN as is and put PUP in the car anyway (I doubt even more) or just produce the non PUP cars until there's none left to produce (most likely)

My car is supposed to start production around end of August

What do you mean by looked? Do you mean locked?

And what about the VIN? Doesn't the VIN indicates if you have PUP or not? That means they would have to change the VIN (I doubt) leave the VIN as is and put PUP in the car anyway (I doubt even more) or just produce the non PUP cars until there's none left to produce (most likely)

My car is supposed to start production around end of August
After you have place your order you have one week(?) then you can make changes of your configuration before the order gets looked. If the changes in the design studio was made within that times frame you will get the premium package for the new price but if it’s longer time since placing the order you won’t. Sure, it’s easier for Tesla to have one configuration but if they have had they separate for several years they can probably wait a few more weeks and save money on the extra hardware for older orders.

After you have place your order you have one week(?) then you can make changes of your configuration before the order gets looked. If the changes in the design studio was made within that times frame you will get the premium package for the new price but if it’s longer time since placing the order you won’t. Sure, it’s easier for Tesla to have one configuration but if they have had they separate for several years they can probably wait a few more weeks and save money on the extra hardware for older orders.
3 days now... used to be a week. I hope they build my car with PUP even though I didn't order it, kind of like the people do ordered the old interior will now get graphite trim

How fast is the charging with the current package?
Good question - I too wonder if they include 72 amp charging or faster in all X & S now. Very helpful for people who might have access to high amp charging at home or elsewhere.

Model S & X 100D & P100D have high-amperage (72) charger included by default.
Model S & X 75D do not have the option.

Reactions: JeffreyY and croman
The upgrades are not free. They cost a few thousand dollars more than non-PUP even if you ordered new today.

Yes they are not free now or before, except in the case where if you ordered a car without those options before the line change, and your car went into production after the line change, you would likely end up with the new options for free as Tesla wouldn’t go back and up charge you for something you didn’t contractually agree to when the contract was signed at the beginning at the lower price

Yes they are not free now or before, except in the case where if you ordered a car without those options before the line change, and your car went into production after the line change, you would likely end up with the new options for free as Tesla wouldn’t go back and up charge you for something you didn’t contractually agree to when the contract was signed at the beginning at the lower price
Historically people usually got what they ordered. Even people who ordered but didn't confirm the order will see the old design studio all the way until deliver. Tesla has done this many times before, so they know well how to manage that. The only time this used to break down when someone ordered and delayed their delivery date for a long time. I remember a thread here where a person ordered a solid roof and delayed the order by 9 months or something ridiculous like that. 3 or 4 months after the solid roof was discontinued Tesla called the customer and said either produce it now, or get a glass roof for an extra charge - no option to get solid roof later or glass roof for free. I got one of our cars on the cusp of a major options changeover and re-pricing - placed the deposit before the changes, confirmed after options have changed. I had the option to stay with the old options and pricing or go with the new. I chose the old, and that was exactly what was built and delivered (probably one of the very last cars with the "plus" suspension Tesla ever made before discontinuing it - May 2015 production date).

Historically people usually got what they ordered. Even people who ordered but didn't confirm the order will see the old design studio all the way until deliver. Tesla has done this many times before, so they know well how to manage that. The only time this used to break down when someone ordered and delayed their delivery date for a long time. I remember a thread here where a person ordered a solid roof and delayed the order by 9 months or something ridiculous like that. 3 or 4 months after the solid roof was discontinued Tesla called the customer and said either produce it now, or get a glass roof for an extra charge - no option to get solid roof later or glass roof for free. I got one of our cars on the cusp of a major options changeover and re-pricing - placed the deposit before the changes, confirmed after options have changed. I had the option to stay with the old options and pricing or go with the new. I chose the old, and that was exactly what was built and delivered (probably one of the very last cars with the "plus" suspension Tesla ever made before discontinuing it - May 2015 production date).

I’m awaiting production, ordered before the announcement and expect exactly what you say - the car I ordered at the price agreeded.

Don't know about the 90s and 100s but the Model X 75D had the option to upgrade to the 72 Amp charger in 2016 when we got our car. Haven't kept track of when that option went away.
72A charger was optional for a while, since introduction (when 40A/80 became 48A/72A) through some time early 2017 when they decided to include it with 100's (I think 90's were discontinued by then). It was a $1,500 option IIRC.

Used to be called "Dual Chargers"
"Dual chargers" was the 80A, where it literally was two 40A chargers. Now 48 vs. 72 is just called high amp charger. Could be called a tripple vs. double, but Tesla just calls it high amperage. In some cars from early production days of the new chargers, they all came tripple so it's just a matter of flipping a software switch.

I guess I'm in the minority being disappointed with this change. As a 3 reservation holder, I was really hoping to get into a new S by the end of this year, as I'm just not really in love with the 3 styling up close and will likely cancel or transfer my $1000 over.

However, between the discontinuation of the S75, and now the forced upgrade of the PUP that I never even considered buying, it's now close to $90K for my desired configuration after taxes and fees.

I'm in love with the refresh models, but there doesn't seem to be many in the CPO market, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I guess I could try to locate an inventory model to still get the tax credit, or just forego the credit, and hope to pick up a refresh CPO with my desired configuration by working with an advisor but the new CPO polices are also a bit concerning.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Just got a bit of good news, hopefully you all can also benefit. I emailed my sales rep at night asking Tesla to include four years worth of maintenance with the car, because of this price drop. They called me literally a few hours later from the factory and said they will include two years of maintenance at no additional charge, so I’m taking this deal and happy now.