Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Rear Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were literally thousands of customers waiting to buy consoles that Tesla decided they just couldn't make. If they make the same decision to stop producing the rear console, someone waiting for a warranty replacement would be out of luck if there "just aren't any more."

Presumably the molds for the plastic parts would still exist. I'd expect in a situation like this Tesla could just have them crank out a bunch of extra parts and then have people return the consoles for repair. It'd be a pain but it'd be the only way to deal with warranty claims on the item. If there were too many I'd expect them to stop selling the item, but they're obligated to continue to service warranty claims. Of course they could just offer refunds as well.

Presumably the molds for the plastic parts would still exist. I'd expect in a situation like this Tesla could just have them crank out a bunch of extra parts and then have people return the consoles for repair. It'd be a pain but it'd be the only way to deal with warranty claims on the item. If there were too many I'd expect them to stop selling the item, but they're obligated to continue to service warranty claims. Of course they could just offer refunds as well.

Yes, my concern would be that they would just offer people their money back, with no option to replace the rear console. Tesla doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for console quality issues.

The stitching on this console is light grey and will not match those of us who have black stitching in our cars. This is also an issue for the center console. Apparently Tesla is only making them available in light colored stitching, which is kind of an F-U to early owners. My car was delivered in August 2013 and all surfaces have black stitching. Neither console will match my car, and Tesla said they are not making a version with dark stitching.

Thanks for nothing.
i've had my MS (VIN 53###) since Sept 2014 and hadn't noticed that my stitching is a combination of Black and Light Grey. Anyone else have the same with their black interior?

My rear console broke yesterday. I went to open it and the plastic around the center hinge snapped. :( Not really sure how that happened.

I emailed Tesla the photo below and they have promised a replacement as soon as the carbon fiber decor version is back in stock. (No ETA available)

View attachment 86147

Had exact same problem. Local SC said it was known issue and they helped me get a replacement quickly. For some reason the Tesla accessories store is extremely slow at responding to emails these days.

I opened mine for the first time in months and noticed the same broken hinge.

I never carry passengers in the back but it is a great place to reach back and put a cup out of the way in the cup holders.

IMG_5496.JPG

Received a warranty replacement today and it looks like the hinge problem is fixed (I see no issues checking the hinge). Frankly I do not think it was every opened more than maybe once the day it was installed.

My old one did not have a plastic-covered strap adjuster (it was plain metal with a fiddly metal insert). Maybe the plastic cover fell off somewhere along the line, dunno. But this one has a plastc-covered adjuster like the pics up thread.

Thanks Tesla! Good warranty service.

I checked last night, and my hinge is also broken. I don't think it's been opened it more than half a dozen times.

For people getting replacements under warranty, are you going though your service centers or the online shop ([email protected])?

Service center for me, but that was before I read this thread and I included the issue in one of my list of items to go through.

Dennis

Mine had the same hinge issue couple of months ago when I didn't know this was a known issue. In any case, I called the SC and they ordered a new one for me that arrived a week or two later. I shipped the broken one back. I think they mentioned that there was some production issue with that part and it has been resolved. Let's see how long the replacement lasts.