Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Rear Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good concept on running from the front ports. Was thinking of installing a 12V in the back hatch, but that could be over-engineering things. Just a long cable, under the seat, under the trim/carpet, and around the back and into the console. Going to look on Amazon for a realllllly long lightning cable.

I brought mine into the service center today and instead of just replacing the whole unit (which I was expecting), they had a kit with parts to replace the broken hinge with the new design. Took about 20-30 minutes and it's good as new (well better really).

I brought mine into the service center today and instead of just replacing the whole unit (which I was expecting), they had a kit with parts to replace the broken hinge with the new design. Took about 20-30 minutes and it's good as new (well better really).
Would love to see some pics. I just received mine about one week ago and would like to see how mine compares to your fixed unit.

Would love to see some pics. I just received mine about one week ago and would like to see how mine compares to your fixed unit.

Easy why to tell if you have the new spring is if you can open lid and it will stay up on its own you have the new version. The original version had to be held open (too much spring tension).

As Vip says, it does stay open on it's own now.

Visually, it mostly just looks "unbroken" compared to the original.

console.jpg

broken.jpg

I received a replacement for the first in August. The first broke exactly as pictured on this thread right along the middle hinge. The replacement also has the original hinge design and we have been absolutely babying it, and I noted today that it also is cracking along the center hinge. Bad design. I don't have a local service center, so I will try emailing.

I just received my rear console this week. I installed it in my car on Wednesday and the kids love having cupholders (though I haven't let them bring anything into the car to drink yet) and the little storage compartment. After reading about the hinge issue I warned them not to open it too far or slam it shut. They have so far obliged with my request.

I can't quite tell if the design has changed...because I never saw the original in person, but it looks the same to me based on pictures.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago.
Looks great. The kids love having the cup holders they are used to. It's a little impractical when we do school runs and sometimes picks up additional kids.

The hinge does seem a little "weak" (or perhaps I am just knowledgeable about the issue already). I see the "wet" thing as well. The photo attached is a little "exaggerated" due to exposure.

IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg

I got mine a couple of weeks ago.
Looks great. The kids love having the cup holders they are used to. It's a little impractical when we do school runs and sometimes picks up additional kids.

The hinge does seem a little "weak" (or perhaps I am just knowledgeable about the issue already). I see the "wet" thing as well. The photo attached is a little "exaggerated" due to exposure.

View attachment 111823View attachment 111824

Thanks for sharing. Is that wet stuff like an oil or lubricant for the hinge? The hinge concern is the main reason I won't buy it. Actually they're also out of stock with my decor/color combo anyway.