Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrade Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to order a new Tesla Model S. I spent a lot of time trying to work out whether the Premium Upgrade Package is a sensible add-on or not. I am still none the wiser after lots of reading. It seems a lot of people complain about the standard audio and others are fine with it. I am not sure I need bioweapon defense...

FWIW, I am getting the following specs:
75D AWD, blue, with sunroof (for the kid's bikes mainly)
with rear facing seats, enhanced autopilot, multi-pattern interior
regular tires

I also am not sure if I need an extra set of winter tyres or whether the ones included are ok all-year around (I live in London suburbs).
thanks imp

Hi, inmyprime, you've hit upon the question many new prospective owners are now toiling with. You used to be able to pick and choose amongst the various options. Now Tesla has folded some options into the base price of the car (such as SAS and the power liftgate) and then packaged the remaining items (other than the rear facing seats) into a single upgrade.

The three main "upgrades" of the PUP - the bioweapon defense mode (which to be honest, in 9 months of driving my model S I've never used - but it's there if I need it!), the upgraded stereo - which I have and is more than adequate for me (a real stereo-phile may want to otherwise upgrade on their own with third party stereo equipment) and subzero. You mention kids - the subzero adds the heated steering wheel and heated rear seats (along with wiper blade and washer fluid heaters). The heated front seats are standard - your kids might appreciate the heated rear seats.

All in all, I'd say, if you can afford the extra price of PUP, you should get it. It does add a few nice options and if you ever wish to sell the car, it will make your car more desirable.

I would expect the all season tyres would be sufficient in and around London.

Cheers!

I'm sure everyone will chime in with their preferences. I'll give you mine, since I too spent a lot of time researching. No winter tires needed, but make sure you get a genuine set of all seasons, marked as such. The ones who complain about the standard stereo want bloated bass. The standard one has remarkably accurate(flat) bass to 40hz. Won't get DAB, though Spotify more than makes up for that. The ultra HF doesn't go lower, just louder in the 50-100Hz range. Get bioweapon defence if you want to remove or prevent outdoor smells. My 2p.

Reactions: Daniel Wilson
Certainly you should be fine with the tyres supplied. I went for the premium upgrade partly to improve the feel of the interior, which isn't really premium quality given the price point. The ambient lighting and other bits and pieces just lift the quality a bit.

I spec'd the sub zero package and it's great, the rear heated seats are appreciated and the heated steering wheel makes you wonder how you survived without one! I exaggerate of course but it's very nice.

The bio defence is marketing but even when following the dirtiest of vehicles no horrible smells have invaded my space.

I'd definitely have it, and agree with the poster above, it will help resale value/residuals.

You probably have a referral code for the £750 off and free Supercharging but if not mines below.

My Tesla Referral Code

I'm in south London suburbs if a chat/meet would be of any help.

It seems a lot of people complain about the standard audio and others are fine with it.

We have standard audio and were disappointed initially ... either we've become conditioned, or it has improved. I have read that it takes some time to bed-in, so maybe that was it. We still have static on some stations, in some locations, but Tesla tell me that's a software issue. Certainly it completely went away during one upgrade ... and then came back again with another (plenty of those poor quality software QA issues exist in the Infotainment system).

I think an audiophile might be better suited by a third part replacement ... but the premium version has more wiring, which might be necessary for third party replacement anyway (no doubt it could be retro-fitted, but I have no idea how difficult / messy that is)... the Premium Audio seemed a very expensive option to me, at the time (it was a separate, standalone choice back then).

I also am not sure if I need an extra set of winter tyres

We fit Winter tyres to all our cars. We live in the country, so I'm sure that has a bearing compared to London driving, but better stopping distance in wet, let alone ice and being able to drive easily in snow (albeit that is rare in our part of the UK) is a definitely safety advantage. AWD will mean that you should have no difficult "going" in poor winter conditions, but it won't help "stopping" and "turning" to the same degree.

I was sceptic about Winter tyres until fitting them for a skiing trip and having fresh and packed snow all the way up the mountain from the base on that particular trip. We made much better progress than the cars with chains, the level of control was like night-and-day, and that convinced me ...

Won't get DAB

I have DAB on standard audio. There are locations where it cuts out, but they are the same (as best as I know) as our other vehicles. Of course because it cuts out here and there its useless on those journeys when listening to anything which I'd like to hear without missing bits ... which is pretty much always, for me.

the heated steering wheel makes you wonder how you survived without one

I never needed Electric Windows, nor Central Locking ... until the first car that I owned with them fitted :)

Ok thanks for all for replies!
DAK if the code will only give us 5 supercharges or unlimited? I wasn't sure. One of the attractions of buying this car for us was the facilities to charge for free. That's why my wife thought we should get a second hand car instead of new. But after some research, I realised that with the code it's possible to have free supercharging as well. The other reason to get new is that I can't find cars with the exact specs on the aftermarket (rearfacing seats etc) and the price differential did not seem that great. Plus the 1.5% interest loan is a manageable proposition.

Right, the features...I might go with the upgrade then. Do the speakers take up any noticeable amount of extra space? (with 3 kids, we need all the space we can get).

Does anyone use bike racks? (Whispbar is best?). I will need to put a few kids' bikes somewhere. They used to fit into our Q7 boot. Is it a difficult procedure to put them on/take them off? (Couldn't find youtube videos of it).

For insurance: DirectLine still best?

Changing to winter tyres: do you take the car to a garage to do this? We always had all seasons tyres so I am not sure how much hassle it is.
Thanks again. imp

with 3 kids, we need all the space we can get

Hi, if this is the case have you given serious consideration to a Model X?

There are lots of reports of the rear facing S seats not being overly comfortable on longer trips as there is no HVAC back there in the S. Also, as your kids get taller they will start to find it cramped...
And with them up, you lose your boot space!

Referral code gives you free supercharging for as long as you own the car, but it won't carry over to a new owner when you sell.

If you need one:
My Tesla Referral Code

I've recently had the exact same purchasing dilemma as you and ended up opting for an X instead of an S after trying out both. We did opt for the PUP, but we have the standard cloth seats (which I've heard some awesome reviews of!) so the cost kinda balanced out...
If you want to discuss feel free to PM me.

Yes, there's is little differential in the cost between X and S when all is said and done (in fact the X came out cheaper because they had one in the inventory with the specs we needed and was a few £££ cheaper).
The problem is I hated our Q7: it was a nice premium car but it is bulky & extremely wide and I always found it awkward to park in tight spaces around London (or drive it for that matter). I wanted to get something smaller and get away from SUVs. I also prefer the look of S MUCH more. To me, the X model (aside from the wings) looks a little like an enlarged Fiat (with apologies to any X owners; it is all personal preference).
My wife thinks 7 seats could come in handy occasionally (car pooling when driving kids to school: it's a 4x 20-25 mins journey each weekday back and forth for her and 2x times for the kids).
The S model is the only car that seems to bridge the dilemma of not having a huge car but also accommodate everyone. When the kids grow out (currently aged 7,4 and 1) we will either look at other options or remove the seats. They will only be used on occasion and not regularly when that extra space is needed. I realise we lose the bottom space for now.

BTW can the rear-facing seats be retrofitted? We were told by Tesla "no" but I am reading different information on some forums but this may apply to different models. Anyone knows the definitive answer?
There's one car in the tesla inventory that has everything we need except for the seats, hence my question.

BTW can the rear-facing seats be retrofitted? We were told by Tesla "no" but I am reading different information on some forums but this may apply to different models. Anyone knows the definitive answer?
There's one car in the tesla inventory that has everything we need except for the seats, hence my question.

They weren't ever of interest to me but the rear seats are a factory fit option only.

BTW can the rear-facing seats be retrofitted?

No, the rear facing seats mean that the entire rear frame of the S is different. It has to be reinforced so that the occupants are sitting in the passenger compartment section of the frame and not in what would otherwise be the rear crumple zone. This is why it's a factory option only, the aluminium and steel frame at the rear of the car is completely different with the 3rd row in the S.

The S model is the only car that seems to bridge the dilemma of not having a huge car but also accommodate everyone. When the kids grow out (currently aged 7,4 and 1) we will either look at other options or remove the seats.

Because of the above, the seats cannot be removed later.
Also, check the height/weight requirements. You may find that your 7yo is already too big, and your 1yo is almost certainly too small at the moment!
From personal experience, putting a baby (2yo and newborn) in the back of an X is incredibly easy. No bending or twisting, no bumped heads (me or kids) etc.

As for size. Although the X is bigger, it isn't bigger my much. The S is still a very wide car by UK standards. The X is only 3.2 inches wider, and 2.3 inches longer than the S. It looks bigger, but actually, there's not much in it. In either car, you're going to worry when you inadvertently end up at a 7-foot width restriction and forget about a 6'6" - nerves of steel required here in either model!
To put this in perspective, the S is less than 1 inch narrower than your Q7, and both the S and X are shorter than the Audi (the X only by half an inch).

As you've said, the look of the car is a personal thing. The S is definitely the better-looking car, but I think the X is great looking too!
And if it actually meets your needs better, in the long run, it would be worth considering. You will find on here plenty of S owners who switched to an X and have said they prefer it.

I think either way if you've never owned a Tesla before you're going to be blown away by it for the first year. It's how it lives with you after that period that is going to make or break your relationship with the car. If you're at all on the fence, borrow each for a weekend and see what they're like to live with. We did this and that's what convinced us to buy the X over the S.

Good luck with your choice!

Tesla confirmed the rear seats can be removed / fitted back for 80 quid or so (but have to be factory fitted when first ordered).
May have to get some of the glass tinted, for sunny days/kids' comfort. Any recommendations for a third party?

Do the speakers take up any noticeable amount of extra space?

I believe that the Premium Audio Woofer in the S takes up one of the "cubby holes" at the side of the boot - but don't rely on my memory please :)

Changing to winter tyres: do you take the car to a garage to do this?

When my Wife had a Golf the VW garage provided a service for this - which included storing the "other set" until the next swap. We've got a barn here, so I store the wheels and swap them over myself. If you only buy one set of rims you'd need a tire fitter to swap the tyres over each time (and maybe worry about whether its a good idea to be swapping just-rubber at all ...)

4 wheels and tyres are bulky to take to-and-from a tire fitter (if you want them to swap them, but you have space for storage). No Jack with the Tesla (no spare wheel ...) so if you you are going to do it you need some kit as well ...

One bit of up-side. If you have storage, yourself, then you have access to a spare wheel if you need one. We take one (albeit "wrong season") when we travel to, say, continent "just in case" (and a jack etc. ...). We've always done that with all our cars when going to continent - I haven't had a spare wheel on any car we have owned in the last decade or so (from memory).

extremely wide

The S and X are both extremely wide. My wife won't take the S to any regular car park - e.g. at the station / multi-storey. I'm less bothered ... but its definitely "wide".

the X model (aside from the wings)

I don't have an X, nor do I have small kids any more, but I can well imagine that getting them into a car seat, or even just doing up a rear seat belt for them, is much easier standing up ... particularly if it is raining!

My wife thinks 7 seats could come in handy occasionally

We have an (ICE) People Carrier for that sort of haulage. And for Ah! Hem! eBay purchases (the "unsanctioned by management" type!) that are "quite large". I wouldn't be without one, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be a £100K vehicle given the amount of abuse eBay ... and our small kids ... have given to ours. I guess the People Carriers we have had have each lasted 7 or 8 years, and we're coming to the end of the third one ... they only get occasional mileage, although they did dot he daily school run for a block of young-family years.

can the rear-facing seats be retrofitted? We were told by Tesla "no"

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the rear reinforcing beam could be retro-fitted too, but reading other replies seems not, so probably my memory is faulty on that point (but I wouldn't 100% trust what Tesla Reps say, without double checking it ...)

Hello,

Prospective Model 'S' owner here. Been mulling over the options for a while. I would qualify this by saying i've been what you would call an audiophile since I was 18, almost 30 years ago, and I've had a dedicated listening / home theater room for the last 20 years (but no garage..ahem) so from that perspective, I would say that the Model 'S' standard audio system is certainly good, I would suggest it's better than the entry level one in the Porsche Panamera Hybrid, but as you option on the better systems in the Panamera it does rather leave the standard 'S' behind. I have heard the amazing Burmester system in the Porsche, and that is unquestionably the finest in car audio system (from the factory) that I've heard to date, but it is £5,500 option. I have decided I am going to go with the Premium upgrade, I agree the bioweapon HVAC system is rather overkill, but better I know what I'm breathing in than put up with nasty smells from the outside. The better audio is a must have for me, likewise I think the standard interior, whilst OK for maybe a Model 3, is perhaps a bit hairshirt for a car which costs what the Model 'S' does.

Regarding the costs overall, I know the OP has gone through a similar process as I have. I looked at the used price, then looked at Tesla's used inventory, and finally have decided on an inventory car with the 1.5% finance. As a company car owner (this is the first company car for my business) the current finance offerings, plus the tax incentives and running costs make this a truly affordable prospect. Add to the fact that I'm a car enthusiast, and the even the Model 'S' 70D has such punch out of the corners and off the line, on the motorway and dual carriageway it's like having a 400BHP+ Porsche or BMW 'M' powerplant under your right foot, and the running costs are incomparable with anything else, it ended up making the TCO so good it sold itslef not just to my heart as a great, refinded car, but to my heart as a car enthusiast. The porsche Panamera Hybrid is a brilliant car, I utterly loved the car, it's interior, it's refinement, all superb. By the time I'd optioned on the extras to get the Tesla spec, plus gone with the AWD, it came in at almost £30k more than the Tesla, and didn't have the same tax advantages, so game set & match to Tesla for me.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks - all the responses helped immensely. I went for the upgraded option and custom-ordered the car (just confirmed my order online).
I hope the 75D's battery will be enough...I could not justify spending 20k plus for a little bit more peace of mind. I hope this was not a mistake.
Next will be sorting out the charger installation.

I was really shocked to see the range on the 75D, so I think 300 miles should be enough to keep range anxiety at bay. I know this was a major consideration for me. I have a couple of clients who are 230 & 260 miles away at opposite ends of the country, but the demonstration of the Supercharger seeking system in the onboard systems suggests I'll be fine. Now if only they could have a system to rate the coffee near each Supercharger that would really be civilised!

Please let me know how you go with the charger install. I've been pondering the same thing. The Government offers a grant to help you get an Ev charger installed, but the Tesla charger isn't on there. On the other hand, the cost of many of the chargers and installers on the scheme seem about the same as the Tesla charger plus half a day of an electricians time without the grant, so I'm seriously thinking of going with Tesla's own charger, though I'm going to put it into an IP66 certified external enclosure to protect it when not in use from inclement weather, like we get here on the Fylde coast.

Best wishes,

Dave