Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package for Old-timers!

Do you Regret Not getting OR getting the Premium Upgrades Package (PUP)

• Regret Not Getting PUP

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Do Not care for PUP

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Regret Getting PUP

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Now that it is Standard, Regret Not getting PUP

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Should Tesla offer PUP Hardware Upgrade Option for Those Without PUP

Votes: 22 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was not a very large survey but we still had half of the replies in favor of upgrade options. What shall be the next steps to send a clear message to Tesla's executives that offering fair priced upgrade options would show that they care about existing X/S owners and bring additional revenues.

Are you talking about upgrading existing cars without PUP or having the option to choose PUP again on a new build? I thought the whole point of reducing the number of options was to improve production flow and reduce the overall cost (which it has in this case, unless you didn't want any of the PUP features). Other luxury manufacturers tend to have zillions of options, but you do usually pay through the nose for them. Tesla are using a different business model and one which I generally prefer, even if it does limit your choice of options. It certainly makes it easier to configure!

Are you talking about upgrading existing cars without PUP or having the option to choose PUP again on a new build? I thought the whole point of reducing the number of options was to improve production flow and reduce the overall cost (which it has in this case, unless you didn't want any of the PUP features). Other luxury manufacturers tend to have zillions of options, but you do usually pay through the nose for them. Tesla are using a different business model and one which I generally prefer, even if it does limit your choice of options. It certainly makes it easier to configure!
This thread is about offering upgrade options to existing cars. I also understand that all PUP upgrades may not be possible or cost effective. In a previous thread, most responses asked for “Self Presenting Doors” and “Premium audio” that should both be very doable.

This thread is about offering upgrade options to existing cars. I also understand that all PUP upgrades may not be possible or cost effective. In a previous thread, most responses asked for “Self Presenting Doors” and “Premium audio” that should both be very doable.

Given that PUP was previously a very expensive option package, how do you think Tesla could price bits of it now as a retro-upgrade without pissing off a lot of the customers who bought the whole package previously? Sure they could probably offer a self-presenting door upgrade (which is probably just software), but the rest involves hardware fitting and it's not like the SCs are currently sitting around with nothing better to do! Other manufacturers don't routinely offer retro-upgrades either and when they do they are invariably very expensive. Usually sold as "dealer-fit" options as a money spinner for their franchised dealers. Not a game Tesla is really involved with. In this case it's probably better leaving retro-upgrades to the aftermarket.

Reactions: Corbets
Given that PUP was previously a very expensive option package, how do you think Tesla could price bits of it now as a retro-upgrade without pissing off a lot of the customers who bought the whole package previously? Sure they could probably offer a self-presenting door upgrade (which is probably just software), but the rest involves hardware fitting and it's not like the SCs are currently sitting around with nothing better to do! Other manufacturers don't routinely offer retro-upgrades either and when they do they are invariably very expensive. Usually sold as "dealer-fit" options as a money spinner for their franchised dealers. Not a game Tesla is really involved with. In this case it's probably better leaving retro-upgrades to the aftermarket.

Tesla could have offered PUP to those who ordered the car, but was not yet in production when the PUP change occurred. However, they did not want to do that. If they do offer PUP, it would not probably go through the SC, but Tesla body shops.

Self-presenting door is a hardware upgrade, per Tesla. I am not sure how hard it would be to replace the steering wheel or upgrade sound system, but it is probably pretty doable.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla could have offered PUP to those who ordered the car, but was not yet in production when the PUP change occurred. However, they did not want to do that. If they do offer PUP, it would not probably go through the SC, but Tesla body shops.

Self-presenting door is a hardware upgrade, per Tesla. I am not sure how hard it would be to replace the steering wheel or upgrade sound system, but it is probably pretty doable.

I thought all doors were power assisted. Self-present was a software option only. Perhaps not. You would need the software to use it, in any event.

We are not asking for charity and are ready to pay a fair price. For many of us, the PUP option was way overpriced. Tesla must have come to the same conclusion after readjusting the price to something more realistic. I understand the frustration of those how purchased during this period but this is not the first time Tesla is doing this to their loyal customers. As for aftermarket, I agree but we have no alternatives for any of the software-controlled options. Investing in an aftermarket audio system without Tesla’s software audio update would be marginally beneficial. Also, no possible aftermarket for opening the front doors with the FOB.

Reactions: bayx
We are not asking for charity and are ready to pay a fair price. For many of us, the PUP option was way overpriced. Tesla must have come to the same conclusion after readjusting the price to something more realistic. I understand the frustration of those how purchased during this period but this is not the first time Tesla is doing this to their loyal customers. As for aftermarket, I agree but we have no alternatives for any of the software-controlled options. Investing in an aftermarket audio system without Tesla’s software audio update would be marginally beneficial. Also, no possible aftermarket for opening the front doors with the FOB.

And, any non-Tesla aftermarket install will also void warranty per Tesla (even if it's just audio system).

Elon always said that the base models of all their cars were well equipped to provide all the "Tesla Goodness"

Probably had a bunch of engineers that kept wanting to add more and more amenities, so they bundled some of them into a PUP package for those who had to have the best available.

The package changed from time to time, but offered Alcantara headliners and alcantara trip on the dash, real leather in the arm rests and trim, automatic opening and closing hatch of the S, Upgraded stereo system, Huge HEPA air filtration system with Bioweapons defense mode, additional lighting, better headlights, etc. Usually bundled for $5,000. Biggest gripes came from people that only wanted some, but not all of the goodies.

Later on, most of these items became available as either standard or Al a Carte.

Over the years many upgrades have been made to motors, interiors, batteries, cooling, automatic windshield wipers, automatic headlights, front and rear end designs, tires, wheels, navigation, creep, steering firmness, cruise control, displays, computers, stereo, headliners, sunroofs, tail lights, charging sockets, inverters, addition of AWD, better door handles, spoilers, etc. All rolled into the base price.

I believe that Tesla are an even better value today than when they were first announced.

So I;v been looking at the new parts catalog, and it looks like the wiring harnesses and seats ar the same for all MX produced after August 2017, meaning that the hardware should be there, especially for rear seat heaters. This upgrade may be possible

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
So I;v been looking at the new parts catalog, and it looks like the wiring harnesses and seats ar the same for all MX produced after August 2017, meaning that the hardware should be there, especially for rear seat heaters. This upgrade may be possible
Interesting finding and great news! I wonder if the audio wiring harness is also the same (i.e. the subwoofer wire is already installed)

Interesting finding and great news! I wonder if the audio wiring harness is also the same (i.e. the subwoofer wire is already installed)
Audio wiring doesn't seem to be the same, but need to take a closer look. Also, it looks like the heated steering wheel harness is different than the normal harness, but who knows which one they used. Worth a shot to try and get it enabled in the settings

Okay, so you're not asking for charity, but I presume you don't want to pay the original PUP price, even though it would be a LOT more hassle to retro-fit than an original factory fit. Well good luck with that! I do agree that PUP was over-priced for what you got, but if you wanted those features it was still worth paying and would anybody seriously expect it to become a retro-fit option for less money in the future?

The PUP price has now effectively come down because all new cars are built with it, so there is some economy of scale and less production logistics involved. It makes sense on a flagship car to be honest.

Tesla could have offered PUP to those who ordered the car, but was not yet in production when the PUP change occurred.

I suppose they could, but there had to be some sort of cut-off point. None of those people who ordered in that window had chosen PUP in the first place, so they probably couldn't be bothered asking them again.

Looking at it from the other side of the coin, did those who ordered PUP at the higher option price receive a discount when it became standard at the lower price?