Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Wise Men and Women,

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on the Premium Upgrades Package. How many of you will be getting this package if it is offered and why? At first, I was thinking about getting the base battery pack and selecting the auto pilot and the premium upgrades package. Lately though, I have thinking about skipping these two options and using that money for a bigger battery. I am not sure why, but the more and more I think about it, I think the bigger battery would be more useful and just a better overall option. The items that come with the PUP are nice, but currently, I drive a 2010 Honda CRV and it does not have any of the options that come with this package, and I have been able to get by. Am I missing anything? Is this the better play? I was hoping you get your thoughts on what you would do or how you are all thinking. Is the bigger battery the way to go?

Thanks,

Kal

Are you talking about going from the 60 to the 75 or to the 90? If just to the 75 then I would say get the PUP and AP and get the 60. If later you find that you need the range of the 75 just pay the upgrade fee. I'm just guessing you won't need the extra range, but I don't know your situation. Do you take a lot of road trips? Long commute? Oh you're talking about the M3. Just get the MS60 now and call it good.

I would probably skip it, unless it just happened to be especially cool. I'm not really looking for a 'luxury' car at all. About the only reason I'd do so on a Model S, for instance, is to get the automatically opening liftgate. Since the Model ☰ doesn't have a liftgate, but a trunklid instead, I wouldn't consider it a 'premium' feature at all.

Hard to say until we know what the upgrade packages and battery options are and their corresponding prices.
Agreed. Wait for the Model 3 Reveal Part Deux and then maybe there will be enough information to make a decision. But personally I think we won't know much about the options and prices until the Model 3 configuration web page goes public, and that likely will not be any earlier than spring 2017.

Reactions: Red Sage
Are you talking about going from the 60 to the 75 or to the 90? If just to the 75 then I would say get the PUP and AP and get the 60. If later you find that you need the range of the 75 just pay the upgrade fee. I'm just guessing you won't need the extra range, but I don't know your situation. Do you take a lot of road trips? Long commute? Oh you're talking about the M3. Just get the MS60 now and call it good.

Yes the MS60 might be a good fit but for many people the Model S is simply too big. So in addition to the questions like road trips and length of commute size also needs to be considered for some.
I'd already own a Model S if it were smaller.

If it's the same PUP as is available for the Model S, then I'd have to say no. The upgrades I want for the car are all their own options for the Model S (Sound upgrade, leather, panoramic sunroof). PUP looks to range from "nice-to-have" to "completely unnecessary" for me. Outside of that and a bigger battery/supercharging, every other thing I'd look for in a car seems to come standard.

I'm actually excited about the extra air filtration that comes with the PUP. I hate the smell of exhaust. I'm often driving around with the recirc on, but the windows fog up in the winter and I have to let in some fumes on occasion. It will be nice just to filter the air and not worry about the recirc. There's other cool stuff that comes with the PUP too, but $3000 does seem a little steep.

I'm probably going to order my 3 with standard cloth seats. If the premium package stays as-is, i'm guessing that I wouldnt see much benefit from the package as most of the upgrades seem to hinge on the car being ordered with a leather interior. Obviously i would still get some benefit from the various LED lights and bioweapon filter, but i dont know if its worth the 4K in canadian funds for me

Reactions: S'toon
I'm actually excited about the extra air filtration that comes with the PUP. I hate the smell of exhaust. I'm often driving around with the recirc on, but the windows fog up in the winter and I have to let in some fumes on occasion. It will be nice just to filter the air and not worry about the recirc. There's other cool stuff that comes with the PUP too, but $3000 does seem a little steep.
If the HEPA filter option were available on its own, I would be likely to get it for the same reason and my seasonal allergies. If it's in a bigger package that is $3,000, I will likely pass on it.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
If I find myself having to choose between certain options due to budget, my approach will be to order the options I can't add later. Better sound system or glass roof, for example, cannot be added later. Full auto-pilot and software unlock for battery are able to be added later even if slightly higher in cost.

Reactions: Red Sage
If I find myself having to choose between certain options due to budget, my approach will be to order the options I can't add later. Better sound system or glass roof, for example, cannot be added later. Full auto-pilot and software unlock for battery are able to be added later even if slightly higher in cost.
Agreed, but I've read good things about some of the aftermarket sound system upgrades for Teslas. So technically that could be added later.

Agreed, but I've read good things about some of the aftermarket sound system upgrades for Teslas. So technically that could be added later.
Which ones? I've tried to do some reading and I've found some audio upgrade packages but none have completely convinced me it's worth to buy aftermarket. Obviously, it's all assumptions right now about the Model ≡ based on the Model S, but it seems like Model Ss that were not ordered with an upgraded sound system don't have the same pod locations as models that were ordered with the upgrade. So it makes me wonder how easy/affordable it'll be to upgrade a stock system to have more speakers.