Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium ventilated seats vs Next Gen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've got an order in for an S90D, configured with Next Gen seats and premium package. The Design Studio for Canada was just updated this week and Premium seats (with ventilation, like the Model X) are now available with the S90D. I called my DS and he said that because my order is less than 2 weeks from production, I can't change to the ventilated Premium seats.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to "push harder" to get them to include these seats? My car isn't in production yet, so I don't see why they can't change it.
2. Is the change worth the battle? Online reviews for the seat ventilation in model X appear to be mixed (some say it's barely noticeable). Next Gen seats appear to have bigger bolsters and a longer seat base length, which may be better for me than Premium seats (I'm a tall thin guy, 6 feet).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi all,

I've got an order in for an S90D, configured with Next Gen seats and premium package. The Design Studio for Canada was just updated this week and Premium seats (with ventilation, like the Model X) are now available with the S90D. I called my DS and he said that because my order is less than 2 weeks from production, I can't change to the ventilated Premium seats.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to "push harder" to get them to include these seats? My car isn't in production yet, so I don't see why they can't change it.
2. Is the change worth the battle? Online reviews for the seat ventilation in model X appear to be mixed (some say it's barely noticeable). Next Gen seats appear to have bigger bolsters and a longer seat base length, which may be better for me than Premium seats (I'm a tall thin guy, 6 feet).

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I was told the same as you. I have 90D on order with the next gen seats that's in the production queue. I asked my DS if I can upgrade the premium seats but was told because I'm less than 2 weeks from production that I'm locked in and can't make any changes. Can't say I blame them esp at a time they are trying to streamline production.

I went in to a Tesla store today, and sat in the Next Gen seats and Premium seats, one after the other. I found the Next Gen seats quite a bit more comfortable. The larger bolsters just "hugged" me the right way.

I figure that I'll be enjoying the fit of the seats more often than I'll need the ventilation... particularly when I can pre-cool the cabin on hot days. So, I'm happy with my original choice of Next Gen seats.

I just got another email from my DS about the Premium seats, here is what he mentioned:
"the premium seats in the Model S are the same seats that are currently in the Model X. The feature you read about is when you slide the seat forward and back, it automatically raises and lowers the headrest."
Anyway, he really recommended that I keep the NextGen seats as they are comfortable according to him.

I went in to a Tesla store today, and sat in the Next Gen seats and Premium seats, one after the other. I found the Next Gen seats quite a bit more comfortable. The larger bolsters just "hugged" me the right way.

I figure that I'll be enjoying the fit of the seats more often than I'll need the ventilation... particularly when I can pre-cool the cabin on hot days. So, I'm happy with my original choice of Next Gen seats.
Our NGenseats are on order. That said - don't let anyone tell you they are(n't) better or the same, as every seat has a different feel for each occupant. Some will sit in the worst and it feels just fine ... and some will sit in the best and be uncormfatable.

Ok, I have sat in both and will share my personal thoughts/experience. I'm 5'7" with a lean mass athletic build and weigh roughly 165lbs. The premium seats contoured my body better than the NextGen seats. If I were a taller and a larger framed individual, I probably would have gone with NextGen because I felt that they had better bolstering support to fit larger bodies. YMMV

Reactions: *KT*
Can you unpack this more please? A direct comparison report from someone who owns both is really helpful.
I'm 5'9, 180. The next gens while firm, definitely hug my body and I feel likely have more foam padding. My family and I routinely travel to our Lake House most weekends which ends up being about a 2.75 hr trip one way. Having made the trip now hundreds of times with our Model S and Model X, I much prefer the next next gens. I seem to be far more comfortable in them. Oftentimes when in the Model X, I'm very uncomfortable by the end of the trip and that never happens in the Model S.

Additionally, I've had ventilated seats on several previous vehicles...Our May 2016 build 90D Model X does have ventilated seats, but they are super weak sauce comparitively. In fact, the only time I remember actually feeling them is after a run in very thin run shorts. Outside of that, they are quite the gimmick.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but would anyone with experience with both the MS NextGen seats and the limited-time perforated leather 2016.5-2017 premium seats (mostly p100d's and 90d's) have a good opinion as to which is better if buying a used 2016.5/early 2017 MS?

Durability, comfort, etc, after 5 years in?

It seems from older threads that experiences were mixed but they were generally both liked. I like the look of the perforated seats better, although some of the tan ones that are 5yo have a lot of stretch marks (which makes for an interesting buying opportunity as this probably turns off a lot of buyers).