Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PremiumShield or Xpel for paint protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with an installer. He said he would install either one for the same price, but that PremiumShield was a slightly better product and has a lifetime warranty. $4,000 for whole car + $400 for the roof if non-pano. The two other quotes I got were over $5,000 for Xpel. I've never heard of PremiumShield, so I'm a little apprehensive about using it instead of Xpel. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Premium Shield is owned by the gentleman that started Venture Shield, one of the original great Paint Protection Films of its time. Venture Shield was purchased by 3M back in January of 2010 if my memory serves me right.

If the installer is legit, go with whatever film they like. Premium Shield is not going anywhere anytime soon though. So there should be no worries about being left high and dry.

I have a June 2016 white 60S. I had it protected with Xpel, front surfaces only with what they call the bikini cut. This covered the entire front surface, headlights, fog lights, mirrors and all 4 door edges. The hood coverage extended back about 18" from the seam toward the windshield. Price was $900.00 and the installation truly flawless. The edge where it ends on the hood is invisible largely because it is a curve rather than straight across. My installer in Houston was the Xpel shop, not a franchise. The warranty is like 8 years -- long enough for me. It has passed the Texas bug collector test in that the Xpel took all the bug hits and they easily washed off the next week. Thanks to Tesla aerodynamics there were no bug hits on unprotected surfaces which sells me on the idea that the bikini cut is sufficient for the Model S.

I am curious but skeptical about paint coating systems. Is there good evidence that they are worth the expense? What does one do if the car gets a scratch or ding? Do you have to recoat, or is there a touch-up capability?

I'm also interested and have never used any paint protection coating product in the past, but I've leased my last 2 cars so didn't care much about it...and they were not $100k+ cars.

I would really only be interested in the front end/headlights/mirrors as Trigger above said he did...and I'm glad to finally see a quoted price as I've been wondering. Under $1,000.00 seems reasonable, is that what I should expect to pay for a front end treatment?

I'm getting the Xpel full frontal done this Wednesday. My quote was $1500. I also had two other quotes for $1800. Doing the full hood instead of partial adds about $600. My last car had rock chips all the way up the hood, so no partial for me. If I'm happy with it I'll probably end up doing the whole car. I would like to live with the product for a little while before I commit to spending that much money. Full wrap is around $5,000. Also, I thought it would be good to get it done in 3 or 4 phases. That way it would limit the sticker shock to my wife a little better. Either that or it will just shock her 3 or 4 times.

Great Service.
I went to All American Paint Protection for a the Xpel clear bra and window tint for my new Tesla. I found the shop from the surfing the forums so I was a bit skeptical. Brett the owner went out of his way to put me at ease. He showed me examples of his work and was very flexible with his schedule. My car turned out great. Brett is nearly OCD about the details and is a true professional. I not a posting type. Im pretty sure this is my first time.

I took delivery on 12/22 and then a week later, took it to an XPEL installer. I just got my car back this week and it's looking REALLY good. Driven Dynamics, in Rockville, MD, did a wonderful job!

Attachments

• IMG_20170111_175714.jpg
    IMG_20170111_175714.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20170111_175724.jpg
    IMG_20170111_175724.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20170111_175739.jpg
    IMG_20170111_175739.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20170111_175741.jpg
    IMG_20170111_175741.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20170111_180111.jpg
    IMG_20170111_180111.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20170111_180139.jpg
    IMG_20170111_180139.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 257
Here is what I had done and it was close to $4K. They did the edges or most of them. I remember them calling to ask me to disable valet mode because they needed to open frunk to get to the edges.

Paint Protection Film Service - XPEL Ultimate Deluxe Package (Full Hood, Full Fenders, Side Mirrors, Front Bumper)
10-Year Warranty

Ceramic Pro Glass Coating Gold Package
- 4 Layers of 9H Glass Shield on Paint
- 1 Layer of Light as Top Coat
- 1 Layer of 9H on Plastic
- 1 Layer of Wheel & Caliper Coated [Pending - because I'm getting my wheels powder sprayed black aluminum metallic]
- 1 Layer of Rain on Glass
- Paint Correction Included

Tint Service ##% SunTek CXP Nano-Carbon, Lifetime Warranty

I'm getting the Xpel full frontal done this Wednesday. My quote was $1500. I also had two other quotes for $1800.
@Electroman
How did your XPEL experience go? Looking to do the same for a mid X100D March delivery. And it's getting time to schedule ... ;-)
I'm from the Corvallis area -- and will likely select a Portland shop. If you liked your installer let me know.

I did Xpel, "full frontal" (full hood incl headlamps and mirrors) for $1495 and I also added the rocker panel and luggage area for $295 on my obsidian black 85D a year ago.

My previous car is black, and after many commuter miles in LA it's full of small hits on the front. After a year of driving my Tesla there are no dings visible. The Xpel is suppose to take the hit and "self heal". Not sure if that's truly how it works. Either way, clearly the paint job is not getting destroyed underneath the Xpel.

Love it.

I have a June 2016 white 60S. I had it protected with Xpel, front surfaces only with what they call the bikini cut. This covered the entire front surface, headlights, fog lights, mirrors and all 4 door edges. The hood coverage extended back about 18" from the seam toward the windshield. Price was $900.00 and the installation truly flawless. The edge where it ends on the hood is invisible largely because it is a curve rather than straight across. My installer in Houston was the Xpel shop, not a franchise. The warranty is like 8 years -- long enough for me. It has passed the Texas bug collector test in that the Xpel took all the bug hits and they easily washed off the next week. Thanks to Tesla aerodynamics there were no bug hits on unprotected surfaces which sells me on the idea that the bikini cut is sufficient for the Model S.
Do you have the installer information? I am considering having this done too.

@Electroman
How did your XPEL experience go? Looking to do the same for a mid X100D March delivery. And it's getting time to schedule ... ;-)
I'm from the Corvallis area -- and will likely select a Portland shop. If you liked your installer let me know.
I went with Highline Customs because they were the cheapest and had really good yelp reviews. They also had done a perfect job on my window tinting on this car and my previous car.

They wrapped all of the edges of the hood (I also got the call to disable valet mode, so they could open the frunk.). I thought they would wrap and tuck in all of the edges, but they said that is not possible without removing the bumper cover and stuff. They cut around the sensors and turn signal/camera housing. All of the cutting and edges look very nice. They don't use precut pieces. They did not do the headlights. They said putting Xpel on the headlights wasn't necessary, but that they would put regular Xpel on them for $60 if I wanted. I haven't thoroughly inspected the install yet. I just wanted to get the front protected asap from all of the gravel being dumped on the streets during the recent snow storms. I was planning on waiting a few months before looking for adhesion problems. There's one small area in the dimple behind the side turn signal/camera that isn't sticking. That's the only issue I have noticed.

When I picked up the car they gave me a warranty card for the SunTek paint protection. I returned the next day to ask about that, and the installers said they used Xpel, but that the guy at the front desk accidentally filled out the wrong warranty card. I'm not sure how someone could tell the difference between SunTek and Xpel to verify what was actually installed. Overall I'm happy with the job they did. I'll probably end up getting the rest of the car wrapped this spring.