Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preowned not eligible for FSD discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Batt Car

Executive, engineer, entrepreneur, author, dad.
Oct 1, 2018
West Chester PA
Picked up a preowned 2017 fully loaded X and the FSD option didn't show on my Tesla account. Had less than 9000 miles on it. Not CPO.

Have had it serviced by Tesla, no charge, for everything. Called before March 18th to see why I could not purchase FSD. Some glitch due to being preowned. I was advised that it would not qualify for the discount. Escalated this because it should qualify.

Anyone else with a preowned not offered the FSD discount?

Model X is fully loaded. EAP, sub zero, the works. It was offered for $2k up through March 18. Now $5k.

Opened a support case so I can get it for $2k once I figure out the preowned issue.

Wondered if anyone else hit this issue.

A lot of folks didn't even know about the discount. Ensures HW3 upgrade included once available.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a half dozen cases open. Currently sitting with a supervisor and the local SC to hopefully make it right at $5k for both since I don’t have either AP or FSD. I complained it didn’t say ANYTHING about preowned being excluded. I also was on the trial, so prices were $3500 for AP and $9000 for AP+FSD. Then I left the trial thinking that was why it was not showing $2000/$5000. Prices then went up to $4000 and $11000 - crap. Worst case is they’ll put me back on the AP trial so I get those $3500/$9000 prices, but still won’t be happy. Had I known this was the case I would have bought EAP on the trial at $5500.

Waiting to hear back from Tesla still on my case(s).

Reactions: sacelectric
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a half dozen cases open. Currently sitting with a supervisor and the local SC to hopefully make it right at $5k for both since I don’t have either AP or FSD. I complained it didn’t say ANYTHING about preowned being excluded. I also was on the trial, so prices were $3500 for AP and $9000 for AP+FSD. Then I left the trial thinking that was why it was not showing $2000/$5000. Prices then went up to $4000 and $11000 - crap. Worst case is they’ll put me back on the AP trial so I get those $3500/$9000 prices, but still won’t be happy. Had I known this was the case I would have bought EAP on the trial at $5500.

Waiting to hear back from Tesla still on my case(s).

Ouch, that explains why I haven't been able to upgrade either. Exact same situation for me. I tried buying on the first day of the sale but the price never updated. I've been waiting weeks for customer services to fix my upgrade price. I purchased my 100D a few months ago with 3k miles from a guy who didn't like it. Since it was the exact color and options we wanted, it seemed like a no brainier. My cs agent hasn't mentioned anything about a preowned exception. I got it in writing that they would honor the sale price though. I'll update the thread when I hear more.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Just got an email from Tesla. They said they can put me on the trial to get the $3500/$9000 prices back. That’s best they can do apparently. Not a big fan how this whole thing went down.

Trying to decide what I want to do.

That sucks! Why would they punish someone who purchased preowned? It's not like that's a published policy to entice people to buy new. And if it was, all it would do is depress the value of used Teslas. Idiotic. I'd push back hard.

Ouch, that explains why I haven't been able to upgrade either. Exact same situation for me. I tried buying on the first day of the sale but the price never updated. I've been waiting weeks for customer services to fix my upgrade price. I purchased my 100D a few months ago with 3k miles from a guy who didn't like it. Since it was the exact color and options we wanted, it seemed like a no brainier. My cs agent hasn't mentioned anything about a preowned exception. I got it in writing that they would honor the sale price though. I'll update the thread when I hear more.

Mine went to a CS Supervisor and SC Manager. They can’t adjust the price. Getting put on a 30 day trial right now and will think about it. I would have bought the $5500 EAP during the trial had I known this was going to happen. Now I’ve got to spend $9000 instead :(

Mine went to a CS Supervisor and SC Manager. They can’t adjust the price. Getting put on a 30 day trial right now and will think about it. I would have bought the $5500 EAP during the trial had I known this was going to happen. Now I’ve got to spend $9000 instead :(

Maybe they can comp you a maintenance plan or an extended warranty? I couldn't stomach paying 4k extra over what they said it would cost. If I end up getting the same story from them, this will be my last Tesla. I'll hold a grudge over $4k.

For anyone that has EAP but not FSD, make sure you check the original Monroney sticker. I didn't have the option to add FSD on my preowned X90D but I got them to send me the monroney sticker and it turns out I can't add it because it was purchased upfront...

I sent some emails to the blogs like Teslarati and Electrek to see if they can publicize it, but doubt anyone will help us out. The blog post from Tesla says NOTHING about it having to be the first owners only:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
Maybe try tweeting to their public account? I hope the blogs pick it up. Bad publicity has a way of fixing "impossible" problems.

I ended up purchasing AP at $4k and asked Tesla to refund me the difference. Then they told me I wasn't eligible for the discount. I responded that I had in writing from them that I did qualify, that the price listed on my account page was incorrect, that I would still qualify if I purchased after the sale ended, and that they would honor the discount. If they don't refund me the difference, I plan on filing a chargeback with Amex. Considering how much I got them to commit to in writing, I don't know how I could be on more solid ground. I'm going to give them a few weeks to come around before I escalate with Amex. I wasn't willing to risk the full $11k but I expect them to honor the pricing on FSD too. I'm not holding my breath. This is just all so dumb. It doesn't take an MBA to understand that charging people with second hand Teslas more for parts and service depresses the value of used cars and in turn increases the overall cost of ownership for all Teslas. Can you imagine BMW or Mercedes telling people with used cars that parts cost more for them? That's absurd. This episode has really soured me on the brand. I bought my X with just a few thousand miles on it because it was immediately available in the colors we wanted and it was right down the road. If I had know Tesla was going to discriminate against people who owned used Teslas, I never would have purchased one.