Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prepaid service vs. Tesla’s recommended service positions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pre-paid for services on my early 2017 MS and never quite cared about what was being done or not to the car - I trusted Tesla to know how to do their job.

This year, just before going on vacations, I looked at what was specifically advised by Tesla to do: Car Maintenance

This document talks about HEPA filter replacement, break fluids, desiccant bag for AC, etc. All good.

So, I reached out to my SC to schedule my last appointment for my pre-paid service and asked them, based on what they had already done in the past, what would be done during this service to respect their maintenance schedule. In return, I received a bill to approve for about $1.5k (!) So I asked them why this wasn’t part of the pre-paid service, and their answer was that the prepaid service plan is only for « basic » stuff, and that it does NOT cover or follow their own suggested maintenance schedule.

Is that also your experience? Did it also surprize you?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
You should have received a document at the time you purchased your agreement that outlines the terms and conditions. I purchased mine in mid-2016 and mine includes the following language:

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):
  • Vehicle inspections
  • Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items, excluding the 12V battery, brake pads,
    and tires;
  • Wheel alignment check; and
  • Tire rotation.
I think where you are falling is between your expectation that the clause that states replacement or repair of normal maintenance items to represent what is listed by Tesla on their website and the agreement is subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice in their sole discretion.

I had the last annual service on my 2016 Model S in late September 2019 (I ended up reaching the mileage limit sooner than 4 years). At that time they did perform everything on the 'suggested maintenance list' per what was shown on their website. This included the filter and AC services. What it did not include, which I was a bit disappointed about, were all the items in the recommended maintenance schedule at the time I purchased my maintenance plan. That earlier maintenance schedule included many, many more items, including replacing the battery coolant at four years. I had purchased my plan based upon evaluating what it would have cost to do all those items, but since Tesla had decided those items were no longer needed, they would not perform them yet would not provide me a prorated refund based upon the reduction in scheduled maintenance items.

Now what my service center did do at each inspection was correct any minor alignment issues without any additional cost. That was not technically included as the agreement only stated to check alignment. The view of my service center was once they took the effort to put the car on the alignment rack to check it, it was minimal additional effort to just go ahead and make any necessary adjustments.

Personally I would politely challenge them why they are not doing everything which Tesla currently lists on the link that you included in your post.

Thanks @PCMc, that’s really good.

What I don’t get though is that it seemed as they were covering a lot more under those plans. If they do all of those things, the prepaid maintenance was worth it, if they don’t do any of those and merely check what you described, then it is certainly not worth it IMO:
1626600005194.png

Reactions: rickyjb
Thanks @PCMc, that’s really good.

What I don’t get though is that it seemed as they were covering a lot more under those plans. If they do all of those things, the prepaid maintenance was worth it, if they don’t do any of those and merely check what you described, then it is certainly not worth it IMO:
View attachment 685532
The problem is that the list you posted is not in the Extended Service Agreement document. The document only references the recommended maintenance items. It also doesn't say 'the recommended maintenance items at the time the agreement is purchased', which is what you're after. And then there is that clause in the agreement that Tesla can change what's covered at any time at their discretion without notice.

You could talk to them about what they will refund you if you decide to skip your last inspection. I've seen mixed reports about how the reimbursement worked. Some got 25% for the last service, but the language in the agreement states it's prorated due to time or miles. Given I was just a couple thousand miles away from the 50k limit for service 4, I'd have gotten very little by the prorated terms. That's where I decided to go ahead and have service 4 completed, even though I wasn't too pleased with many of the items I originally anticipated not being done. I'd have felt better if they'd even replaced the brake fluid versus just doing a test.