TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Prepaid US sim for tourists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MGPG, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MGPG

MGPG New Member

Hi all,

We have an upcoming two-week vacation in Florida come June,
    and I was wondering if you could recommend me a reliable prepaid SIM?
    Roaming data costs are ridiculous ... when using it as much as I do.

Requirements:
    - 4G data speed, preferably with a lot of data
    - valid for at least two weeks
    - *some* calling/texting included (unlimited calling/texting not needed, mainly using data)

Also, this is the first time I'm doing this ...
    Is it recommended I order a SIM online prior to our departure or do I just walk into a (AT&T?) store and get one there?

Thank in advance

2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

The major GSM carriers in the US are AT&T and T-mobile, and then a large number of MVNOs (resellers) that use one of the two above mentioned networks. My family has Cricket Wireless, which is actually an AT&T subsidiary and I think would work quite well for you. The SIM introductory package is I think $10 and then you pick a plan.

Unlike Europe, airports do not typically sell SIM cards so you are probably best off having one mailed to you in Belgium if possible or to your vacation address. Have a great vacation :)

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada and use SIMs from Roam Mobility when I travel to the US. It's priced in $CDN and provides way more talk/text/data for far less than my normal carrier's roaming package does.

I know the OP is from Belgium, but I bring this up in case there is any European equivalent that might be worth investigating.