TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Preparing car for (covered) cross-country transport: anything special need to be done

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Argelius, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I am about to have my Model S transported from Chicago to California (yay) and was wondering if there's anything special I need to know/do before handing the car over to the transporter. I selected covered transportation with a carrier who supposedly has experience with Teslas. In the event they aren't that experience, just curious if there's anything I should know in advance.

Thanks!

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Which company? Any professional company should know what they are doing so nothing special required.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Not useful for your question but I simply see a golden opportunity to drive the supercharger highway :smile:

4. ww73

ww73 Member

+1!

5. Vip

Vip Member

One thing I learned when I had my car transported from California is see if you can request your car be stored on top. Don't want the oil and other fluids from ICE cars dripping down on your car.

6. Dchint

Dchint Member

Couldn't agree more...I was going to have my car shipped from Chicago to Phoenix but then realized that I would have missed out on a golden opportunity to drive the supercharger highway...in retrospect, one of the greatest experiences...but probably irrelevant at this point...so like dsm363 stated, nothing special...

7. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I recently transported a roadster coast to coast. Just charge it so it doesn't run out. I didn't use covered carrier. Saw little risk of uncovered and carrier covers any damage without deductible. It was half the price of covered. Maximum coverage for open was 250K. The closed carried insurance of 250K to 2.5 mil. Used door to door auto transport