Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparing for Lovebug Season

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you that live in the South know how horrible these little bugs can get. In Florida, they are AWFUL - twice a year for about a week. I was so adamantly against the films that really aren't going to protect against lovebugs or stones (despite what some folks here think).

So, although it looks like crap, I found and ordered a front mask/bra for my Model S. It should be here today and I'll post some pictures once installed. They had a standard texture and for an additional $9, I went with a carbon fiber look. I also ordered the mirror covers too (look like little condoms for your side mirrors).

Colgan Custom Original Car Bra

I will point out that I'll put this on for about a week twice a year. I know about the sun fading the paint outside the covered area, I know about having a good coat of was under the bra/mask, and I know not to leave it on after a massive rain due to moisture issues.

Windows tinted and bra on. Ready for summer now. Not fond of the mirror covers, but the front mask fits great!
20160520_130050.jpg
20160520_130024.jpg

Attachments

• 20160520_100812.jpg
    20160520_100812.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160520_130105.jpg
    20160520_130105.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 40
You know, it's not that bad looking and would really be useful on a road trip. I don't know what it is about the love bugs, but they will eat through clear coat in 24 hours. I drove a vehicle through Florida in late September one year and had the car washed 2 days later and they had already eaten pits into the clear coat.

My question with this is what is the recommended way to wash the bra? I suppose you could just power wash it as it sits on the car, then take it off?

Reactions: chriSharek
Who did you work with at Colgan? I just got off the phone with them. They told me they don't have bra's for Tesla.
I went through Auto Anything when I ordered it. I absolutely love it. Closing the frunk is now fingerprint free! :)

I would NOT recommend the little side mirror covers. They don't fit well. I may throw them on just to protect on those couple of trips across the state, but they look crappy.

If you don't have a clear bra installed, there is another solution if bug guts are your worry. Before a road trip, wash the car, then apply Griot's Bug Barricade. Bug Barricade - Griot's Garage

It works great, and will make cleaning the bugs off a lot easier after the road trip. It wouldn't hurt to have a ceramic coating applied either.
Again, this bra has some thickness to it - it will protect against stones as well as bugs. I really like it - and with the nose cone redesign, it makes my MS look even more ominous! Is that a refreshed 2016? Better check the side skirts . . .

The issue with the Colgan style of front end masks is they will after extended use rub your clear coat. Dirt gets under them and they are never tight enough not to move or flap.

PPF and OptiCoat Pro Plus, love bugs wash off with ease. While the suntek film looks better, I recommend Xpel Ultimate for front bumper cover and for the rest of your coverage level, Suntek for darker colors and Xpel for lighter colors.

The issue with the Colgan style of front end masks is they will after extended use rub your clear coat. Dirt gets under them and they are never tight enough not to move or flap.

PPF and OptiCoat Pro Plus, love bugs wash off with ease. While the suntek film looks better, I recommend Xpel Ultimate for front bumper cover and for the rest of your coverage level, Suntek for darker colors and Xpel for lighter colors.
Not the case as long as you don't leave it on all the time. Lovebugs are really only here for a couple weeks a year. No reason to leave it on all year long - otherwise, you are right.