TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Preparing MS for change of ownership

Discussion in 'Model S' started by napabill, Aug 7, 2016.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

I know I've seen discussions about this in the past but can't seem to find them now. I just sold my 2012 MS and need to prepare it for the new owner tomorrow. Should I do a factory reset, and if so, how. Would prefer that historical navigation stuff be wiped, homelink entries eliminated, eliminate driver profiles, etc. Any downside to doing a factory reset?

Also, I assume I should contact Tesla Service to let them know the car now has a new owner. Any official way of handling?

Thanks.

2. GSP

GSP Member

The new owner will have to send proof of ownership and other information to Tesla service before they will transfer ownership. Until they do, the new owner cannot use the Tesla phone app, or purchase parts or accessories, like HPWC and floor mats.

GSP

3. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Off topic but I thought I would ask if you sold it via private party and were you pleased with the resale value?

4. golfnut

golfnut Member

I would suggest doing the factory reset right after the sale is completed (dollars exchanged) and before they drive away. All you need to have is your personal password. Until that reset is done the new owner can't have his contacts etc loaded from his phone onto the car. Also clears out your personal saved info and profile information.

• Helpful x 2
  5. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I sold my 60 in March, and did a factory reset after handing them the key fobs. I then helped them set their own settings (those they could) before Tesla transferred it to them. That took a few days (Tesla transferring), and they were going on a road trip, so I even temporarily changed my My Tesla password so they could use the mobile app on their trip.

Factory reset is in Settings somewhere...

• Helpful x 2