Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparing to sell a '17 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'ello folks! Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I did have a quick search first.

I need to sell my '17 Model X 90D before 1st November, for tax reasons. I've never sold a car before (the MX is my second car), so I've got no idea what exactly the process will look like. I'm wondering how much care and attention I need to put into making everything absolutely tip-top before trying to sell it.

3 months after delivery, the front of the car was ripped off by a lorry cutting into my lane. It all got fixed (apparently £45k's worth of repairs) by Fastlane, a Tesla-approved body shop. When filling in forms for the likes of WeBuyAnyCar, there are often questions about 'has your car been in an accident', to which the answer is 'yes, but the outcome of the insurance process is that I should be in the same position after the accident as before, so surely this does not matter.' How much of an effect on value is this likely to have?

At the moment the suspension creaks, and the driver door doesn't open from the outside. I'm getting those fixed to the tune of £1,200. The alloys have a fair amount of curb rash, and I think Fastlane will fix that for £175 (can't remember if that's including VAT) each.

The paintwork that was done in the initial repairs has a couple of flaws - it's the three-layer red which apparently was ridiculously hard for body shops to replicate. Fastlane have great customer service and a lifetime guarantee, so I'm getting those parts with flaws repainted.

Is it worth getting the alloys done? Do you reckon I should pay to have the creaking suspension fixed before selling it on? Should everything be scrupulously cleaned, polished, and made as lovely as possible? Or will no-one really care, especially given the buoyancy of the market? Will the previous accident cause me significant problems?

Any experience would be gratefully received. Sorry if some of these seem noddy questions.

3 months after delivery, the front of the car was ripped off by a lorry cutting into my lane. It all got fixed (apparently £45k's worth of repairs) by Fastlane, a Tesla-approved body shop. When filling in forms for the likes of WeBuyAnyCar, there are often questions about 'has your car been in an accident',

Depending on how morally obliged to WBAC you feel, if the repair is 'as new' I wouldn't bother telling them. Regarding alloys, dents, suspension leave it, WBAC wouldn't even 'test drive' the thing, so declare the bare minimum and the alloys/dents they can repair far cheaper than you so the money they take off is usually less than the cost of the repair.

The door clearly needs doing, but if its the same as my car its a £10 part and labor is about 30 minutes, if you find a local garage they can do it for under £100, at Tesla is £120+vat including the part.

52191482564_f3bdddc993_c_d.jpg

Tesla are quoting me £246.50+VAT :(

Someone is having a laugh, use the app to ask them for the part number listed - Right hand door version instead of Left, and cost of fitting.