Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prescription Eyeglasses best Lenses for Model S Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with types of Prescription Lenses(Interested in Essilor Varilux 'X' series or 'Comfort') that work best for Driving and looking at the Touch Screen? I am getting a new pair of glasses and wanted to get any inputs on what the community my be experiencing. Plan to use the same glasses for both indoor computer/laptop work as well as Photosensitive Transition lens for driving.
Thanks

Have you ever used progressive lenses before? If you haven’t, they take some getting used to.

If you have, TBH I’d place a much higher value on a good optometrist/ophthalmologist/optician’s recommendation based on your own individual prescription/vision vs. trying to crowdsource this or going in saying “I want this one” based on reading marketing materials. Too many individual variables.

For driving I’d place a higher priority on a really good anti-reflective coating than any specific brand name progressive.

Upvote 0
Clear Transition lenses don't darken in a car, if you only want one pair of glasses. It takes direct sunlight. I have some clipon sunglasses I keep in the car for this reason. I also have the latest Varilux. Best lens I have had. Earlier Varilux was fairly clear when looking exactly in the center, but got fuzzier as you looked away from the center of your vision. The newest Varilux seem to have solved this issue, as I can see clearly most everywhere in my vision. They do take getting used to. I used to work by computer, and even the older Varilux worked well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've work progressive bifocals lenses for probably about 10 years. I used clip on sunglasses at first, but decided many years ago to invest in prescription sunglasses. I've bought them from Sam's, Walmart, and most recently through my optometrist's office. Common thread with all of them is good polarized lenses. I've not noticed any real difference between the Walmart vs. through my optometrist versions my mid-2016 MS90D over the past 5.5 years. I do personally like brown tinted lenses for driving as they seem to provide me the best clarity without overly darkening, but that's just my personal preference.

I agree with the advice of talk with your optometrist, especially if you have progressive bifocals. There are various types of progressives that get to the width of the focal area (all have a bit of an hour-glass nature, but can get versions the provide more of a wider middle band).

Just my two cents worth.

Upvote 0
@DerbyDave . Thanks for the first hand experience. I have had progressives for years and the ophthalmologist recommended Varilux ‘X’ series, do know if you have X or Comfort?
He said he was not sure about the edges of the progressives and the touch screen in a similar view. Thanks also for Transitions needing direct sunlight, will get Rx sunglasses as well.

Upvote 0
I have Varilux X. Rx sunglasses are definitely an option for the car, but I have the Silhouette rimless glasses, and they offer a polarized sun clip clip-on to fit the lens exactly of whatever style normal lens you get. Much easier to store and transport. I find I don't even take them from the car when traveling, because the Transition lenses work in most places besides the car. It is the only place you will need them.

Upvote 0
I have Varilux X. Rx sunglasses are definitely an option for the car, but I have the Silhouette rimless glasses, and they offer a polarized sun clip clip-on to fit the lens exactly of whatever style normal lens you get. Much easier to store and transport. I find I don't even take them from the car when traveling, because the Transition lenses work in most places besides the car. It is the only place you will need them.
Thanks, great information, very helpful that the Varilux 'X' series is working for you. I currently use Magnetic Clip-On polarizing lens on my regular progressives, but they don't have transition lenses. Good suggestion to consider continuing this option and get the Transition Lens with Clip-On only for the car as you have instead of a new Rx Sunglasses(I have pair now, Rx did not change dramatically) will see how it works with the new Rx. Essilor Varilux 'X' has great reviews, pretty pricey, but wanted to try them. Do you know which Crizal(Sapphire, Rock, Prevencia(adds Blue Light protection) ) anti-glare coating you got on yours and if it works well?

Upvote 0