Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preset daily recharging not working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X. I set the time for the daily recharge to start in my garage. It has always worked before for 3 1/2 years. Recently, it has failed to start charging at the set time. I just get a "Charging will begin momentarily" message on my Tesla App but nothing happens, sometimes for hours. While it is "trying" to charge, there is a clicking sound coming from near the charging port. The charging does start if I start the heater for a couple of minutes. That kick starts the charging but that of course defeats the purpose of the auto setting for the charging. I have rebooted the whole system and it worked for a day of two but then failed again. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone. I have noticed the same issue on our Model X. Since the latest update 2020.44.25, the car won’t start charging under the schedule departure time. I have it set for 7am, and it’s been set like this for over a year. The car and charger keeps trying to charge and then stops. I get the same clicking sound coming from the car and charge adapter and the app says charging will begin momentarily. Again all was working as intended before the latest update.

Are you guys using the Tesla Wall Charger GEN 2 or GEN 3 or the Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) GEN 2 or GEN 3 that comes with the vehicle? Are you using the "Schedule Car to be Ready To Go" feature like I do? I didn't get the wall charger installed in my garage - just a 240v outlet on a 50amp breaker that allows the UMC to do its thing. Never a problem until once the GEN 2 cable that came with the car stopped charging at some point but didn't restart, so my car wasn't ready to go when I wanted it ready. Called in a mobile service appointment, and Tesla gave me a brand new GEN 3 UMC. The GEN 2 UMC still works as well, but I guess the GEN 3 UMC might not stop without restarting. Not sure. Only had that one glitch.

Are you guys using the Tesla Wall Charger GEN 2 or GEN 3 or the Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) GEN 2 or GEN 3 that comes with the vehicle? Are you using the "Schedule Car to be Ready To Go" feature like I do? I didn't get the wall charger installed in my garage - just a 240v outlet on a 50amp breaker that allows the UMC to do its thing. Never a problem until once the GEN 2 cable that came with the car stopped charging at some point but didn't restart, so my car wasn't ready to go when I wanted it ready. Called in a mobile service appointment, and Tesla gave me a brand new GEN 3 UMC. The GEN 2 UMC still works as well, but I guess the GEN 3 UMC might not stop without restarting. Not sure. Only had that one glitch.
I am using the UMC on a 50 amp outlet using a NEMA 14-50 plug. For me the weird thing is this started right after the latest update. Use the schedule charge at departure time everyday and noticed the struggle to start charging after the 2020.44.25 update.

Is your UMC GEN 2 or GEN 3? When the failure to be charged at set time of departure happened to me only once using my GEN 2 UMC, Tesla gave me a GEN 3 UMC, so that's the one I use now. The downside is the GEN charged at 40amps, but the GEN 3 only charges at 32amps. But charging at my house overnight, who cares. If this is still happening to you, I recommend make a mobile service appointment and have them come out and take a look. That's what worked for me.

Was this the result of a phone call to service or the result of an actual service appointment? I find making an appointment is what generates the best results. My SC seems to be very accommodating with accepting appointments. I try to do the mobile service and just leave my car in the driveway for the day and let them do their thing whenever they want to. I come home to a fixed car.

Is your UMC GEN 2 or GEN 3? When the failure to be charged at set time of departure happened to me only once using my GEN 2 UMC, Tesla gave me a GEN 3 UMC, so that's the one I use now. The downside is the GEN charged at 40amps, but the GEN 3 only charges at 32amps. But charging at my house overnight, who cares. If this is still happening to you, I recommend make a mobile service appointment and have them come out and take a look. That's what worked for me.
There is no 3rd generation of the UMC. You're talking about the 1st generation versus 2nd.

Reactions: RedXowner
My UMC is a Gen 2. To update everyone, I was I. Contact with Tesla service and they confirmed this is an issue with the latest firmware from 2020.44.XX thru to 2020.48.10. Apparently 2020.48.12 will have a fix for this. A lot of Model S and X owners on Twitter have complained about the same issue. Hope this gets fixed.

Here is a link to the discussion article:
https://twitter.com/driveteslaca/status/1337044750986334212?s=21