TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

President of Chevron on Charlie Rose 5/17/16

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Bangor Bob, May 17, 2016.

1. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Second half of the show. The man is absolutely clueless/dismissive about the wave of destruction about to wash over his business.

It'll be here Charlie Rose videos in a couple days.

I gotta turn it off. He's making me angry.

By the by... Why isn't "Certified conflict-free oil" a thing?

• Like x 2
  2. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Video of interview with John Watson, Chairman and CEO of Chevron, is now on the Charlie Rose site, here:

John Watson - Charlie Rose

He's stuck in 2008 (or earlier), in many respects. He certainly isn't acknowledging in any way that the Paris climate agreement will have impacts on their business. Perhaps part of the performance is reassuring investors...

3. electracity

electracity Active Member

Bloomberg New Energy Finance has started to look at the demand destruction EVs will have on oil. They forecast cost parity of EV with ICE as early as 2022. In this time period EVs should remove demand of about 2m barrels. This is about the quantity fracking added to cause the current oil crash .

They think this is the point that EV will put oil prices in permanent decline. It doesn't matter what Watson thinks about the future. Notice how guys like him have shifted from climate denial to "think about the poor" who need his oil to lift themselves out of poverty.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. rays427

rays427 Member

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

• Helpful x 1
  6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers tried to coin the phrase "ethical oil" for Canadian tar sands oil.

• Funny x 1
  7. rays427

rays427 Member

OK, I went back and looked at several previous forecasts of oil consumption and they tended to under predict future demand rather than under predict.

8. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

That is Bjorn Lomborg's current line. They ask you to - forget about the fact that the poor are the least able to adapt to climate change - but think instead "about how the poor will be so much better off" - once a lot more and very expensive fossil fuel infrastructure is built, so that they can have monthly bills that they can't afford...

• Like x 2
  9. rays427

rays427 Member

It's interesting to note that the country that has been one of the most aggressive at installing renewable energy has one of the highest costs for electricity. Average German cost is 33 cents per Kwh versus 18 cents in the US. AT 33 cents per Kwh my Tesla would be about the equivalent of 25 MPG with a price of $2.72 per gallon.

10. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

adam-whitmore-iea-installation-rate.jpg
    ? Where did you look? By their own analysis they badly OVER-predict fossil fuel consumption and hilariously under predict renewable growth. Highlights are predicting ~2GW of Solar by 2016 in 2008 (there's >20GW today) and predicting ~1% of NEW cars will be electric in 2040.... REALLY? We'll blow past that in ~2020....

Something is terribly broken at the EIA...

• Like x 1
  11. rays427

rays427 Member

I screwed up on the conversion factors. So in 2008 the EIA predicted daily production would be about 95 Million barrels per day and the actual was around 93. I assume my other checks were off by similar numbers. I don't see that as badly over predicted but your right they did over predict. I agree that total installed capacity and production for wind and solar has gone up much faster than projected by EIA. However, the graphs you show are installed capacity not actual production which is much lower. The average yearly production increase for wind and solar from 2005 through 2014 per EIA has averaged about 20 GW per year which as you stated is much higher than they predicted. From 2013 to 2014 it increased 23.236 GW.

12. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

#12 nwdiver, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Oil consumption has so far been one of the more stable commodities on the demand side but that's changing rapidly and just like with coal, solar and wind the EIA has failed miserably to keep up. They appear to lack the ability to think more than 1 move ahead... they consistently make long term projections without anticipating exponential growth. Many of their predictions are so obviously wrong... even without the benefit of hindsight... that it's hard to believe they don't have an agenda.

If you want a good laugh... or cry at how bad the EIA is... here is their AEO from 1996...

Some of my 'favs'...

Pg 54- ZERO renewable growth in the next 24 years.... REALLY?!

Pg 46- Only 24% of alternative fueled vehicles will be electric... ~300k EVs by 2020. We hit that last year. Pretty sure the US will have >3M by 2020. Which is about as good as EIA prediction get... off by an order of magnitude.

In terms of making predictions... the EIA is really, really.... REALLY bad at its job.

What would happen if the EIA was the Pentagon for a day.... :p

13. marcon

marcon Member

Traditionally higher electricity prices, early adopter penalty and shifting of energy taxes from heavy industry to consumers.

14. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

We can all thank German consumers for helping to drive the demand for solar to the levels required to achieve critical mass that has led to the dramatic decreases in price that the rest of us now enjoy. In the same way that early adopters of Teslas have paved the way to the Model 3 and the EV revolution that is now underway. This is a key, but often underappreciated, role of public policy.

• Like x 2
  15. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Don't forget European countries charge a lot in taxes on energy. Petrol prices in Germany, 23-May-2016 shows $1.47 per liter, or $5.56 per gallon.

In the US, without those extra taxes, renewables are quite a bit less. I'm on a 100% wind power plan and my last bill of $139.79 for 1176 Kwh works out to 11.89 cents per Kwh.