TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

President to Speak Tuesday on Plan to Reduce Carbon Pollution

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Curt Renz, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

President Obama will deliver an address on Tuesday at 1:35 pm EDT which he says will involve executive actions to implement "a national plan to reduce carbon pollution, prepare our country for the impacts of climate change, and lead global efforts to fight it."

2. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

This should really push up TSLA stock a bit. Looking forward to the address, thanks for the heads up. :cool:

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Carbon tax ho?

4. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

He could push for a carbon tax but it would never ever pass the house and likely the 60 votes now needed in the Senate secondary to everything being filibustered.

6. emupilot

emupilot Member

The main thing the president will do is limit carbon dioxide emissions from power plants. This will effectively start to phase out the use of coal, something which is happening already because of the low price of natural gas. Since passing legislation on climate change won't happen for the next two years at least, his primary mission will be educational.

7. clea

clea Member

8. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I don't see anything here that directly helps Tesla, though cleaning up the grid will remove some of the arguments against EVs.

9. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

The future will need "new fuels"? Please. Let's get on the EV train. I'm a supporter of Obama, but he was all over natural gas and fuels and hardly harped on switching to EVs. More political crap....

10. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#10 Raffy.Roma, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    I very much like point 3 of President Obama's climate plan (Lead international climate efforts).
    Inside point 3 I would like to point out the following goals:

• Work via the U.N. treaty process.
    • Pursue bilateral initiatives with China, India, and other big emitters.

I think that President Obama is really focusing the kernel of the problem of climate change and global warming.

11. tigerade

tigerade Member

I thought one of the most important things said was something that probably won't make the headlines:

This is absolutely whats needed. The #1 thing that the Climate Change Denial industry wants us for those of us who care about to the subject to sit down and shut up. By speaking out, we make life harder for those who want to continue the status quo: which is to maintain global dependance on fossil fuels for energy. Of course, that's a status quo that we will have to break if the world has any chance of avoid a climate change catastrophe. Now, the second thing he said, about invest and divest. That is highly important. Investing in clean energy companies will provide fuel to get renewable energy projects started. Divesting from fossil fuels, if done on a mass scale, could at very least slow the arms race towards more pollution. Divesting is an important statement, you vote with your wallet. Divestment actually helped bring down the Apartheid regime in S. Africa, and environmental groups are hoping that divestment from fossil fuels will have a similar effect. Fossil fuels companies are among the richest in the world, so it really will take a lot. But I'm hoping that this speech will get the ball rolling. The absolute worst thing we can do is not try, and not fight the battle we clearly need to fight. We must do it for our future.

Full transcript of the speech:
    Full Transcript of Obamas Remarks on Climate Change - Washington Wire - WSJ

12. tigerade

tigerade Member