hello! this is my first post. (though i've been enjoying following along for a bit now.) about a month ago, i placed an order for my first tesla; a 70D, midnight silver model s. obsessively watching the status of production/delivery, i was ecstatic to receive the phone call from my DS, ready to schedule my delivery early last week. the day before delivery, i get a call saying that there was a small, but significant gash/scratch on the fender and they would like to send it to the body shop for repair. so we rescheduled for a few days later. a day before delivery attempt #2, i get a call from my DS saying he's not sure what happened, but the body shop didn't fix it at all, but only buffed the scratch, so it wasn't sharp to the touch. he said they could try again and we could reschedule. feeling uncomfortable with the whole situation, i asked if i could come check it out myself. in person, the scratch wasn't as terrible as i was expecting based on the photos i requested, but still would need to be fixed. unfortunately, that issue was the least of my concerns after looking over the entire car. there were at least a dozen scuffs and scratches. there was gravel everywhere outside of the car, (in between the windshield and the frame) and the fender panel pieces felt slightly crooked. all in all it felt like a pre-owned car and i couldn't convince myself to take delivery. there was a black 70d right behind mine that i took a quick look at, and it was flawless. just too many things didn't feel quite right on mine, for having just purchased such an expensive and new car. it's worth noting that tesla's customer service has been totally great! doing everything they can to make sure i'm happy with my car, both my DS and the store's mgr, which i very much appreciate it. they understood my disappointment with the condition and they are making me a new car, no questions asked. they just things up to get my new car in the production queue. so i'm back in the 7 day grace period at the beginning of an order. all i need to do is press "accept." with the announcement tomorrow and potential model s news, should i wait or should i go ahead?? i've read everything i can find about the upcoming april price changes, i know they've quietly added a few things already (center console, slipstreams) in recent weeks, etc. my two hesitations with holding off until the announcements are: if i wait, i don't want to get lost in the flurry of activity tesla store will surely experience, and potentially delay my car any further. and i don't want to risk a price lift if they shift things around for the upcoming 100 and eliminate the 70! thoughts? wait? accept? sincerely, ryan p.s. sorry this is so long!