Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, it causes a bump only if you think the markets are discounting the reality of the Model X. Given Tesla's stock price, I find it hard to believe the market is discounting anything-- in fact, making the X more real would, IMO, more likely cause a decline in the stock price than a gain. Buy the rumor, sell the news is the old adage.

Second, a design studio wouldn't necessarily have to reveal all of the features of the car. I imagine it could even be only made available to the MyTesla accounts of those who have orders in place.

I dunno, my guess is it would cause a bump as it makes things more real; however it does not make sense to open up a Design Studio without revealing the vehicle--my guess is the reveal and the opening of the Design Studio go hand-in-hand.

To me it is confusing that it is a phone call and on a Friday: If it is more important than a press-release (thus phone call), why bury it on a Friday ("bring out the trash day")?

So to me this might be about announcing something that may benefit from a short Q&A to avoid the worst misconceptions. In my book, opening the Design Studio for the X could fit this: if it is just silently opened a lot of noise and rumors will start. So it might be good to explain the launch process from here on out. Then again, this may need to be toned down a notch or two to not steal the thunder of the actual X reveal event.

Thoughts?

He will announce 'lane keeping with automatic steering' and 'self-parking'. If you look at the design studio they are already there.

I also believe that this is going to be the case. Evidence:

- Removal of the asterisk in the Tesla Design Store for "Lane Keeping" and "Self Parking Assist"
- My personal observations of highway autopilot stress testing during rush hour on 280N
- Elon's announcement that autopilot was entering private beta at the end of June 2015

EDIT: It still says "Lane keeping and self parking to be enabled with future software updates". Disregard my enthusiasm.

I'll bet that 7.0 will start being pushed in the next two weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

NYTimes coincidental reporting on autonomous cars? Log In - The New York Times

As often said, pictures or it didn't happen. I know I'd like to see the video, I think others would too.

I don't think the video sufficiently illustrates my point but here goes: Mfg Tesla model s autopilot sighting on highway 280n - YouTube

You'll notice at :35 seconds that TACC kicks in as a car merges in front of Model S and then it the Tesla slows down to keep the distance. My guess is that they had it set to a 5 or 6.

Last edited:
From the timing, I'm thinking it will be two things:

Beta testing of version 7/autopilot is complete, and it will be rolled out to the fleet starting immediately, and also:

Model X design studio is now open to signature reservation holders only.

There have been a lot of hints suggesting that Model X production will start in mid-August from various places. That means they need confirmed configurations for the early cars.in the next couple weeks.

Likewise, we know 7 has been in beta for a month now, so it should be released soon. The two together are worth a call in I think.
Walter

official press invite copy can be seen here
https://transportevolved.com/2015/0...day-at-1800-utc-11am-pdt-is-this-the-model-x/

"We’ve reached out to Tesla ... Tesla is keen not to ‘steal Elon’s thunder’ on this particular announcement."
"..the call is a global one and will be relevant to ‘all markets,’ with regional specific information due after the conference for journalists in particular markets.
"

This being a phone in means that it isn't sufficiently interesting to get Elon out of his pjs. It isn't interesting to us or else we would be invited. Only interesting to journalists or the market... But not something big enough to affect the market. New CFO is the obvious answer.

This is my vote too. Clean and simple but a more glorified version of the press releases of old. Stock will climb all morning then fall in the afternoon. Most likely. The world is rarely satisfied with the result after the hype. Too many naysayers and shorts for it to go the other way typically.

All of course IMHO.