Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok here's a crazy theory... Google and Tesla announce a merger.

Timing is convenient: GOOG announced huge earnings today, sending the stock up AH by ~12%. Which translates to about 1.25 Teslas in market cap. Tomorrow, GOOG may wind up being worth $40+ billion more than it was today. If you're going to buy Tesla, that's when to buy.

Hey, I did say "crazy theory." :)

Its in the middle of the day so its not going to be anything that would have a material impact on the stock price (merger, revised guidance, anything MX and M3 related).

My guess is its going to be something like the Roadster upgrade or maybe more autopilot features. Maybe something like a security update to patch the exploits the hackers are going to reveal at DefCon during their Tesla session.

This being a phone in means that it isn't sufficiently interesting to get Elon out of his pjs. It isn't interesting to us or else we would be invited. Only interesting to journalists or the market... But not something big enough to affect the market. New CFO is the obvious answer.

The opening of the design studio for the Model X most likely wouldn't be market moving. That's my guess, possibly along with some sort of announcement about autopilot being in beta and maybe the billion mile thing.

After all, announcing the design studio does not equal a "reveal" of the X, which they can save for when they make the first few deliveries.

"The Next Billion Miles" tour starts tomorrow, and there's the report previously on this thread of apparent autopilot testing. It sounds like the update Tesla would want to roll out before organized demonstrations to so many more potential customers. The next billion miles, and your Model S will take care of most of them for you.

I believe that I observed a Tesla Model S using full autopilot today on 280N just north of Palo Alto Also, in the last few days, I've observed an increase in Model S vehicles with MFG plates during busy rush hour around that area. Given the timing of the announcement tomorrow, I think that the limits of autopilot are being tested in real world environments.

I watched the car driving for about 20 miles from the front and from the side before it exited near Pacifica. The car had two passengers and the driver did not put hands within view at any time during the drive.

At first, I did not think it was using autopilot until it started doing lane changes and then it became obvious that it was. The car did smooth lane change but does not accelerate or brake while it's doing so. The lane change happens at the same lateral speed both left and right and does it exactly the same way, every time.

I think the limits were being tested because their car would wait until there was 1.5 car lengths available in the adjacent lane and then perform the lane change. Many of the lane changes took place in "dangerous" situations where I wouldn't have merged with such little buffer, but that's precisely what I believe that they were testing.

I took some video of the drive but I only caught one lane change and it was without other cars around. Happy to post it if it is requested, though. Funny part was while I was filming the video, there was 4 Model S sedans (if you include mine) all in a row.

As often said, pictures or it didn't happen. I know I'd like to see the video, I think others would too.