Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[PRESS] - Tesla Autopilot is just cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good article.

Without proof though I doubt many of these people were actually using AutoPilot when they crashed. They are just hoping to deflect from their bad driving, and the news sites love it because it gets the clicks.

All the people driving other brands are just as bad, with their "brake failures" and "cruise control stuck on" and "steering failed" - nope, you just suck at driving and panicked.

I personally tried it a couple of times just to see what it does. Don’t trust it enough and as article says meant to be for highway driving not city
I prefer to control the car not other way around
Maybe the name autopilot as previously suggested should be changed

Reactions: Maximillan
I prefer to control the car not other way around
Maybe the name autopilot as previously suggested should be changed
I think autopilot is a reasonable name for the system. Perhaps the problem is a public misconception about the limitations of aircraft autopilots, from where the name is sourced. Seems most people think pilots activate AP and stare out the window, leaving the AC to do its own thing. Whereas in reality APs are constantly monitored with an expectation intervention may be required at any time. Treat the car like this and you should not have problems.

I replied to the article:
>>I think people watching the vast number of Tesla beta testers' videos presently in the US and Canada are being fed disingenuous statistics by Tesla regarding the accident rates with and without autopilot. (and I AM aware of the word's meaning, but it's what is used by most men in the street.)
What is actually being tested is NOT beta FSD. It's beta FSD plus driver. There is a HUGE difference. Many is the time that the autopilot is disengaged or has an intervention such as tapping the accelerator when the monitoring driver feels the car is about to do something he is not comfortable with. In each case it was a possible accident or incident, yet the statistics we are shown say there were zero accidents when the car was being driven on autopilot.
I am sure Tesla know all this and keep records showing when interventions actually prevented an accident but those numbers are not published. We are led to think of the "beta plus driver" numbers as being "beta" numbers without actually being misled, but we are being misled.<<

and I don't think I'm far wrong.