Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press to open chargeport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planing charge solution at home and I wonder if it is possible to open the chargeport on Model 3 by simply pressing the port? Or do I have to:
1 use the app or
2 use the screen inside car or
3 use a Tesla Wall connector with opening button

I'm planing charge solution at home and I wonder if it is possible to open the chargeport on Model 3 by simply pressing the port? Or do I have to:
1 use the app or
2 use the screen inside car or
3 use a Tesla Wall connector with opening button

According to the manual (page 107) you can open the charge port by pushing it if the car is unlocked or an authenticated phone is nearby.

As per Model 3 manual (Page 107):

Opening the Charge Port
The charge port is located on the left side of Model 3, behind a door that is part of the rear tail light assembly. Park so that the charge cable easily reaches the charge port.
With Model 3 unlocked (or an authenticated phone is within range) and in Park, press and release the button on the Tesla charge cable to open the charge port door.

You can also open the charge port door using any of these methods:
• On the touchscreen's image of Model 3, touch the charging icon.
• On the touchscreen, touch the charging icon, and then press OPEN CHARGE PORT.
• Press the bottom of the charge port door when Model 3 is unlocked or an authenticated phone is nearby.

Note: The Tesla "T" lights up white when you open the charge port door. If you do not insert a charge cable into the charge port within a few minutes after opening the charge port door, the charge port door closes. If this happens, use the touchscreen to open the charge port door again
Caution: Do not try to force the charge port door open.

• Informative
Reactions: Skidmark and Runt8