Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressing button on mobile charger doesn’t open charge door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started happening today. I exit the car, press the button on the mobile charger, and the door doesn’t open. I tried doing a reset (press both buttons + brake pedal), and didn’t fix it. Anyone else have this issue? Anything else to try?

Thanks!

Can you still push on it to open it? Push on the bottom right corner of the cover that lifts.

If that works, good. Now try a different charger (e.g. Supercharger) and see if clicking the button with those still works. If no, you have a minor problem with the car. If yes, you have a problem with the mobile connector.

But just to double-check: the mobile connector had power, yes?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I used to have issues all the time using the wall charger’s connection point button to open my Model 3’s charging port. It would only work if I woke the car up first by opening and closing one of the doors. I had to jump through the same hoops again in order to use the button to unlock and disconnect the charger.

However, since my installation of software update 2020.24.6.9, I no longer have issues opening the charging port with the wall charger button. Nor do I have any problem unlocking and removing the charger from the port. No more waking up the car first.

It is odd though. No mention of this enhancement in the release notes. It must be one of those hidden fixes that I only discovered by accident. Is anybody else enjoying this “new” feature?

I used to have issues all the time using the wall charger’s connection point button to open my Model 3’s charging port. It would only work if I woke the car up first by opening and closing one of the doors. I had to jump through the same hoops again in order to use the button to unlock and disconnect the charger.

However, since my installation of software update 2020.24.6.9, I no longer have issues opening the charging port with the wall charger button. Nor do I have any problem unlocking and removing the charger from the port. No more waking up the car first.

It is odd though. No mention of this enhancement in the release notes. It must be one of those hidden fixes that I only discovered by accident. Is anybody else enjoying this “new” feature?

I've noticed the same thing since upgrading to 2020.24.6.9. My setup is a bit unique in that my Model 3 lives in a detached garage (with a NEMA 14-30). I have Home Assistant set up to call the Tesla API to wake up the car when the garage door opens (and I'm home). Typically the car is already awake by the time I've walked outside and into the garage. If I'm pressing the button on the mobile connector handle, the car is already away. Sometimes I'll leave the garage door open for hours if I'm working outside and the car has fallen asleep. In order to disconnect, I'll have to open a door to wake it up. I just noticed yesterday that even with the car asleep, I could disconnect easily.

And here we are two years after the last post above, and our '18 M3 is exhibiting the same behavior. Press the button on the (older, fat-cable) connector button and nothing. Wake up the M3 and hit the charging icon on the app, and the door pops open.

Tried power-cycling the wall connector as per a post above, no joy.

And here we are two years after the last post above, and our '18 M3 is exhibiting the same behavior. Press the button on the (older, fat-cable) connector button and nothing. Wake up the M3 and hit the charging icon on the app, and the door pops open.

Tried power-cycling the wall connector as per a post above, no joy.

Try holding (not "press", which is push and release, but press and hold) the button on the gen 2 charger. As long as you have a phone key with you (and the car can find it, meaning that if its in your back pocket you might need to turn sideways), holding the button for 4-5 seconds will both wake the car and unlock the wall connector cable.

Try holding (not "press", which is push and release, but press and hold) the button on the gen 2 charger. As long as you have a phone key with you (and the car can find it, meaning that if its in your back pocket you might need to turn sideways), holding the button for 4-5 seconds will both wake the car and unlock the wall connector cable.
No joy.

I had the same issue where the only way to open the charge port door was in car or via the app.
mobile service came out and replaced it under warranty. He could hear it clicking when he pushed the button in the wall connector. Apparently this happens per the the mobile tech. Not a lot but he mentioned he’s replaced multiple and Said eventually it wears out completely. I’m glad it happened now since the warranty ends at the end of the year.

I had the same issue after a few weeks of ownership (June 2020). I took the charger to a service center. They pointed to some scuffs on the handle near the button, said I must have driven over the handle and broke it. I disagreed about running it over but they would not replace it.

So, I just use the other three ways to open the charge port; app, screen or bumping the door. The charger button would be more convenient, though.