Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressure release sound. Like venting an InstantPot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't have an InstantPot cooker, it's basically a pressure cooker. When done cooking you flip the air valve to release pressure and, Whoooosshhhh.

My 2018 P3D+ does this sometimes. Started about 3 weeks ago.

After driving, parking in the garage, sometimes plugged in, sometimes not, the fan will keep running (sounds like by the frunk/front windshield, and then 5-15 minutes later a big whooooosh, I mean sitting 25 feet away in my garage office and its like someone opened a steam vent. About a 2.5 to 3.5 second event.

The only relevant search I found, was something about the battery having a vent on it.

Thoughts? I don't like the idea of my battery compartment building up and releasing pressure (if that is what is happening).

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I had this happen yesterday, first time I've ever heard it in the year I've owned the car. Was @ home, walked away from the car & it locked. Maybe a half hour later, went into the garage to get something from the trunk & the fans were on. They seemed louder than normal (also by the frunk), and they were definitely not on when I'd left the car earlier. Opened the trunk & a few seconds later heard the wooooosh.

• Informative
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
Only thing I've heard that is similar to what is described is the cooling fan for the batteries. It's loud and cycles on for about ten seconds or so before shutting down, and then repeats about a minute later. Caught me off-guard the first time since I hadn't heard it before, but then the temperatures are increasing in the NW now, so this was new to me.

Finally captured the big air pressure whoosh sound. The clip starts quiet, then the fan turns on all by itself (yes, I know the car does it's own thing, I had a S for years - but this is different).

It had been sitting in the garage about 7:30pm, plugged in quietly waiting for its 2:30am charge cycle. Then the fan (at junction of front windshield and hood) turns on about 11 minutes after being plugged in and it runs for about a 20 seconds and then you will hear a big whoosh of air, then it bleeds off to just the fan, then it goes quiet after the recording ends. About a 50 second clip.

Thoughts?

Finally captured the big air pressure whoosh sound. The clip starts quiet, then the fan turns on all by itself (yes, I know the car does it's own thing, I had a S for years - but this is different).

It had been sitting in the garage about 7:30pm, plugged in quietly waiting for its 2:30am charge cycle. Then the fan (at junction of front windshield and hood) turns on about 11 minutes after being plugged in and it runs for about a 20 seconds and then you will hear a big whoosh of air, then it bleeds off to just the fan, then it goes quiet after the recording ends. About a 50 second clip.

Thoughts?

That is really weird. Instant pot is right. Don’t think I have ever heard mine do that. Especially not when actively charging or something.

What does Tesla say about it?

I have also begun to hear this exact same sound starting a few weeks ago. The first time I heard it, I thought the Air Handler to one of my 2 AC units in the garage made the noise, but it was clearly coming from the car. I have now heard this multiple times. I have a service visit scheduled for next Thursday for something unrelated and I will use your audio clip to ask them about it.

Here's my theory:

The fans ramp up but the louvers in the front grill don't open, creating the initial very loud fan noise. About 20 seconds in to the loud fan noise, the louvers finally open, allowing a rush of air through the louvers and fan, causing the whooshing noise, followed by subsequent reduction in fan sound.

Think of it like covering the nozzle on your vacuum cleaner while it's running, then slowly removing your hand. It makes a lot of noise while covered, whooshes, then calms down to the normal sound.

Why does it happen? I suspect it's a bug in the new software.

Here's my theory:

The fans ramp up but the louvers in the front grill don't open, creating the initial very loud fan noise. About 20 seconds in to the loud fan noise, the louvers finally open, allowing a rush of air through the louvers and fan, causing the whooshing noise, followed by subsequent reduction in fan sound
Interesting, and possible as this is something new after the dog mode was introduced - at least from what I remember. Didn’t happen in the first several months of ownership.

New in 2019.12.1.2 - If you used A/C at all during your drive, the car will air out your evaporator so you don't get smelly smells. It starts 15 minutes after you park and goes on for 15-20 minutes before it stops.

Yes, yours sounds identical other than your microphone was better placed. Did a Service Center explainn this too you? This is exactly the types of things Tesla should put in the firmware notes.

While indeed a new feature, that’s not the phenomenon being discussed here.

This is exactly the same venting sound. I missed it at first listen because I had my volume down, and turned it up after the venting sound occurred in then@fr100 clip. His venting sound is in the first 5 seconds, vs mine, where I placed the sound later in the clip. It’s exactly the same sound. His microphone was better placed too, as I was only recording audio from my phone resting on the hood.

EDIT;
Woohoo! Something Tesla, solved. It’s a feature, and at least this is not a symptom of something brewing.
Case closed as far as I am concerned, and another service visit averted. None to date, at 8,700 miles.