Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressure Stress Crack or Impact on Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The impact is obvious, too bad you didn't fill it asap, you could have avoided this most likely. Hard to see when its on the non transparent portion of glass.

I'm a first time car owner, so I didn't really know people inspected their windshields that closely every time before driving. Maybe an edge case given the fact that we had almost 2 feet of snow that week covering most of it. Oh well, its in the hands of Tesla service now :)

I'm a first time car owner, so I didn't really know people inspected their windshields that closely every time before driving. Maybe an edge case given the fact that we had almost 2 feet of snow that week covering most of it. Oh well, its in the hands of Tesla service now :)

I don't usually check it before driving, but I do watch out for that loud bang that indicates a rock hit me. When I stop I immediately try to find it and see how bad it is. The weight of 2 feet of snow certainly could have contributed. Even pushing firmly on the glass with a finger from the inside can cause tiny cracks to get much bigger.

If the crack is forming already you may not have even one heat cycle to fix it. Put clear nail polish on it immediately and call a windshield crack repair service. Don't drive hard. Try to keep it the same temperature or at least don't let it change to quickly, such as wiper fluid on a very hot windscreen, or some people put water on the windshield to remove ice. Both may cause any existing tiny crack to immediately propagate.

If the impact just shows a rut, and a partial crack, put clear nail polish get it fixed asap, but you will likely survive a heat cycle or 2. The nail polish helps seal out any water, which if it freezes will crack the glass asap.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC