Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressure Stress Crack or Impact on Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 in December (less than a month ago).
Over the past few days we had a rough snowstorm here in New York.
Briefly after the storm I wiped the snow off the car and the next day pre-heated the car using the app for about 20 minutes.

When I got to the driveway I saw this crack on the windshield.
xql5fYs.jpg

94npZUJ.jpg

1K6HU5p.jpg

Does this look like something may have hit it (impact) or can it be caused by the difference in temperature between the hot interior of the car and the below freezing temperatures outside?

Your photos are IDENTICAL to the crack I have in my windscreen right now. It was surreal seeing your photos!

I took it to Tesla as I was certain it was a warranty fault - some kind of stress fracture or something similar. They pointed out the tiny 'stone chip' in the black surround, and said it would not be covered by the warranty. So now I'm waiting for the Autoglass appointment on Tuesday to get it fixed under the insurance.

I've been driving for 25 years, and never had a crack in a windscreen before. But plenty of stone chips now and then.

Sorry that happened. Sometimes luck is just not on your side.

Somewhat related:
If you ever hear a window impact, it's always worth checking the windshield and the black border to look for significant chips with any evidence of cracking. If you find any of significance, immediately call your insurance to have a repair person sent out to fill in the chip (for free, typically). Time is of the essence and it's important to avoid any heating/cooling cycles.

Obviously you don't always hear the impacts, but the point is that usually you can stop these cracks from spreading - if you're aware that they exist.

I got this beauty recently (was going 30mph on a surface street after a rain)! Made quite a noise. Not on the edge obviously, but this one was definitely going to grow. Fixed the next day for free. Hopefully it holds, but I guess normally they're fine. If not, it's no loss.

I used to try to repair these myself (carried a kit), but frankly the professionals are much better at it and have a proper professional repair kit. For road trips carrying a kit might be worth it though.

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

Ooo... now I see why even small impact chips need to be repaired. I'm sorry for your loss, but thank you a good illustration.
In theory, the propagation of cracks can be a more common problem in EVs because they can start blowing the full heat momentarily in winter. Maybe we'll see statistics prove this after a few years.

Don’t give up on this until you find an impact point. I had a crack occur on my Model X windshield the first month I had it. Took it to the service center. They were unable to find any impact crater, so it was fixed under warranty. Stress cracks do happen. It took parking mine out in the sun on a hot day, but that made it happen. Temperature changes.