TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pressure wash model3 at home?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SlicedBr3ad, Jun 14, 2018.

1. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Did you do it?
    How did it go?
    What settings did you use?
    Any tips?

2. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I would be cautious about that. Because of the VOC laws in California, Tesla has to use different paint from most car companies that is on the soft side. There have been complaints since the Model S came along about how soft the paint is on Teslas. I haven't had many problems. I have one rock chip in the paint on my hood, but otherwise the paint has held up well. I still hand wash the car though. I'll spray it down with the normal hose with a spray attachment, but it doesn't have the force a pressure washer would have.

• Like x 2
  3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I’ve been using a pressure washer but I’ve only washed my Model 3 a few times so far. I make sure to try and go past the sensors and other potentially fragile parts quickly and keep the nozzle a further distance from those areas. Only issue I had was after my first wash I needed my charge port door replaced, but this was a known issue and Tesla has a newer door with better seals now. My Model 3 is in the 72XX VIN range, but more recently built Model 3’s should have been built with the newer charge port door so this shouldn’t be an issue for most.

• Informative x 1
  4. Henchman

Henchman Member

Enough with the nonsense about soft paint.

Nearly all car companies are using low VOC paint these days.
    And it's not soft.

But I wouldn't use a pressure washer on any car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Henchman

Henchman Member

If you want to have an easier time washing your car, take a day and do a ceramic coating yourself.
    Then its a piece of cake.

• Like x 2
  6. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Of course you can. It’s a car. Just don’t use the zero degree nozzle and you’ll be fine. A foam cannon is good to use too. But you’ll still have to wipe down with a microfiber cloth/glove when sudsy. :)

• Like x 1
  7. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

I've used a pressure washer on my car weekly since I got it. I use a 25 degree nozzle and about 2100 psi from an electric washer. I've been washing expensive cars for years with one, it's safe if you use common sense. Watch a few videos on how to do it, all of the pro detailers use one.

• Helpful x 1
  8. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I use a pressure washer but I don't get too close. Haven't had any problems with any of my cars in years including the 3.

9. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

• Helpful x 1
  10. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Could you share GPM and how far away you hold your nozzle from surface?

11. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

specific details would really help! :)

12. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I've used a pressure washer to wash all of my cars for years and have never damaged anything.

Many residential pressure washers include an adjustable nozzle or multiple nozzles that provide different flow control for different applications.

Mine has three, and they are color coded. the red one directs all of the water pressure into a very thin stream that is powerful enough to not only remove stains from concrete, but etch the concrete. Clearly using that on something like a car would result in serious damage.

On the other hand the "mild" tip provides spray at a larger angle with less force and is safe to use on just about anything and certainly cars.

I also use a foam lance to suds up the car, also with my pressure washer.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. mekberg

mekberg Member

• Helpful x 2
  14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

• Helpful x 1
  15. tlr1000

tlr1000 Member

Pressure washers on cars are fine as long as its not some 4000 psi beast. I use a 1900 psi electric one on multiple cars and never had an issue. Great on wheels with a little pre-soak using mild wheel cleaner.

16. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Pressure wash your auto? Are you guys @#$%ing nuts?

What do you think even a 1200 PSI washer does to the grit and dirt sitting on the paint before it "washes off"? It pushes it into the paint. Can you say swirl marks?

I'm not even going to get into how anyone can expect wax to stay on the car with a pressure washer.

If you want the finish to last, stop being lazy and wash by hand. Take care of your baby.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Tesla paint is extremely soft. Just look through these forums, it scratches much easier than other luxury brands.

On the flip side, that softness makes "paint correction" much easier.

18. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Not sure if trolling? You do realize that every reputable detailer uses a pressure washer right?

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  19. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

Pressure washer? Seriously? Why would you do this? Please hand wash the car.

• Like x 1
  20. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Yeah, because it is FAST and they have dozens to hundreds of cars to wash. NOT because it is the BEST option for the paint. They know they are not washing the car long term, just long enough to sell it and get it off the lot.

Go to a high-end car show. No one there that knows what they are doing uses a power washer on their car. They will laugh you out of the show for suggesting such a thing.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to a good, old-fashioned hand wash. It takes time, but it is second to none. It is also the first step in getting that "showroom finish".