Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressuring businesses we patronize into installing chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel (a lot) for work and for fun. I've recently started taking advantage of guest satisfaction surveys and guest comment email addresses to pressure businesses into installing chargers. Here are a couple expamples. I'll let you know what results I get. (BTW, I know the roadster isn't J1772 native of course, but I thought it best to focus on that standard, and I do have an adapter.)

My hope would be to get these businesses to install J1772 chargers and then put them into Recargo, EVChargeretc... And that they'll see some business out of it.

Furthermore, my hope in posting these is to encourage others to do the same.

This is my reply to an email I received from the Beverly Hills Hilton in response to my survey complaining about the lack of charging:

"Hi [name withheld],

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please explain what you mean about 'we do have several spots in the first level of the self parking area and valet parking'?

As a Hilton Diamond member, I've stayed at your hotel a number of times. While the valets have been accommodating in finding a standard 110 volt outlet to trickle charge the car, they have always said the hotel has no car charger connections. A 110 volt outlet takes about 30 hours to fully charge a car, whereas a standard 208/240 volt car charge connection takes 4-8 hours, which is whats needed for business travelers like myself.

Standard car chargers used by all modern electric cars (Tesla, Nissan Leaf, GM Volt, Toyota Prius plugin and forthcoming models from Mercedes and Audi) all use standard J1772 connections to 208/240 volt outlets.

Are you saying that you do in fact have 208/240 volt car charging connections at your hotel? If so, you need to let your valets know where to direct people. If not, note there is a 30% tax credit until the end of the year, and grants to install the equipment at ZERO COST if it is made available to the public in Los Angeles county.

I would also note that the Peninsula hotel nearby does offer 208/240 volt EV charging. There are also public lots and Walgreens stores in the area with J1772 charger connectors, but it would be a lot more attractive to me to stay at a hotel that has a charge connector on site. According to the LA times there are now 100,000 electric car owners in California, and we actively use online charge maps to find the hotels and businesses we patronize, so I believe you would be well served to offer this service. Gasoline consumption; California; cars; pump prices - latimes.com "

And here's an email I sent to Disneyland after finding they had no EV parking:

"I was disappointed this weekend to find that Disneyland still has not
setup electric car charging spots for visitors with electric cars. This
is a huge inconvenience and disincentive to drive to Disneyland for the
weekend from my home in San Diego. This is the second time I've had to
go out of my way to charge in order to visit Disneyland. I'll be looking
for alternative weekend activities that do support plug in cars in the
future simply out of convenience, especially before renewing my deluxe
annual pass.

There are now over 100,000 electric cars in California (according to the
LA Times), and I can stop at most major shopping malls and hotels to
charge, but not at Disneyland. All new cars work with the same J1772
standard, including the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Tesla, Toyota Plug in
Prius, and soon coming Mercedes, Mitsubishi, and other cars.

I would really hope Disney, which claims to be green friendly, would
offer this basic service to it's paying customers. Disney should also be
aware that the 30% federal tax credit for installing charge equipment
expires at the end of the year, and there are also grants available to
completely cover the cost if the chargers are made available to the
general public."

I basically got a form letter back. I'll update this thread if I hear more:
'We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us about
electric car charging at our Resort. *As you are aware, our goal is to
provide the finest service and accommodations. Please be assured we take
your comments very seriously. Your remarks have been forwarded to the
necessary leadership team so they are aware of your feedback.'

Last edited:
And here's an email I sent to Disneyland after finding they had no EV parking:

"I was disappointed this weekend to find that Disneyland still has not
setup electric car charging spots for visitors with electric cars. This
is a huge inconvenience and disincentive to drive to Disneyland for the
weekend from my home in San Diego. This is the second time I've had to
go out of my way to charge in order to visit Disneyland. I'll be looking
for alternative weekend activities that do support plug in cars in the
future simply out of convenience, especially before renewing my deluxe
annual pass.

There are now over 100,000 electric cars in California (according to the
LA Times), and I can stop at most major shopping malls and hotels to
charge, but not at Disneyland. All new cars work with the same J1772
standard, including the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Tesla, Toyota Plug in
Prius, and soon coming Mercedes, Mitsubishi, and other cars.

I would really hope Disney, which claims to be green friendly, would
offer this basic service to it's paying customers. Disney should also be
aware that the 30% federal tax credit for installing charge equipment
expires at the end of the year, and there are also grants available to
completely cover the cost if the chargers are made available to the
general public."

I basically got a form letter back. I'll update this thread if I hear more:
'We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us about
electric car charging at our Resort. *As you are aware, our goal is to
provide the finest service and accommodations. Please be assured we take
your comments very seriously. Your remarks have been forwarded to the
necessary leadership team so they are aware of your feedback.'

I am pretty sure the Disneyland Hotel has a charging station (paddle) and outlet, I was able to charge there not too long ago (NEMA 14-50)

I just stopped by a local restaurant (Rush Street in Kingsport, TN) and talked to the owners about installing a charger after telling them about some grant money and giving them a ride in the Roadster. After the ride they both seemed very committed to installing a charger. So it really helps to ask and be proactive. If we all keep pushing it will help as we grow this new industry.

I am pretty sure the Disneyland Hotel has a charging station (paddle) and outlet, I was able to charge there not too long ago (NEMA 14-50)

Great info. All I saw on the maps was the paddle. Were you staying at the hotel or did they let you use it anyway? The attendants at the main (Mickey and Friends) lot certainly didnt seem to be aware of it.

Good job dadaleus! I think snail mail would produce better results though. Email is too easy to shunt aside into a "future things to-do" folder and get forgotten.

True, although in the Hilton's case this was in response to a customer satisfaction survey which I know they take pretty seriously (probably affects bonuses or such), and I was replying to an individually written email they sent me by way of followup. I already got aother reply that they would be looking into it further.

Even if I fly I ask the hotel if there is a place to plug in. I ask the concierge, the hotel engineer and the front desk, anyone I can find. I picture a hotel staff meeting where the boss asks if there is any way to make customers happier and on of them says "Someone asked for a place to plug in" which is followed by three others agreeing with him.

I also ask at mall offices, and stores that I think would make a good site (most of them).

I need to ask a bunch of places to do the same thing. Only one restaurant that I frequent has a J1772.

I know that SMU has a 14-50 in Moody Garage and is going to be installing infrastructure in other garages. (Thanks to me.) Even though you have to pay to get into the garage you'll be able to charge for free. (and if you run into me you don't even need to pay)

Our group SCGS recently organized a drive from the coast to Palm Springs. We needed a lot of places to plug in. With much seducing, prodding and cajoling from my wife the La Quinta Resort installed four NEMA 14-50s in an underground parking garage. The resort is beautiful with good dining and now that town is a viable EV destination.
La Quinta charging.jpg
Cool to think last week there was nothing here.

Last edited:
With much seducing, prodding and cajoling from my wife the La Quinta Resort installed four NEMA 14-50s in an underground parking garage.

That's amazing. It took forever including legal agreements re liability and responsibility for removing the outlet someday on top of my employer paying $1,600 for the electrician's bill to get the landlord of our second office (125 miles from my home) to put just one of these in for me. (and I have no idea how this could cost $1,600.)

I have a business in CA who wants to install a Tesla Model S charger. They know what they want and where they want to put it. They want help finding all the Fed & State incentives to help them defray some costs. I've searched the threads and keep seeing people saying it is posted elsewhere. Can someone help a Teslavangelist with a link? :confused:

I see PIA has some: http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives where they write: "The EV infrastructure tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers and 30% up to $30,000 for businesses." I've seen on the PIA site an indirect link to this site: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/states/CA which helps as well. Maybe we should start a new thread which consolidates these business incentive links for easy access, or has it already been done?

REI stores seemed like fertile ground to me so I pestered a manger until she gave me some feedback. Said she brought it up at a meeting, the response was "we have no plans for that". That surprised me. Now I'm reminded to try, try again.
I had a better response from Snowbird Resort, although it was kind of a "yes, we'll do it but don't hold your breath".

REI stores seemed like fertile ground to me so I pestered a manger until she gave me some feedback. Said she brought it up at a meeting, the response was "we have no plans for that". That surprised me. Now I'm reminded to try, try again.
I had a better response from Snowbird Resort, although it was kind of a "yes, we'll do it but don't hold your breath".
I agree with REI -- at most, you're going to spend, what, an hour in the store? At 208v, 30A, you'll get maybe 20 miles of range. The businesses that make the most sense for L2 charging are places where staying 4+ hours is either natural or at least bearable: e.g. hotels, ski areas, amusement parks, and shopping malls.

REI headquarters in Seattle is a destination. I easily speed 1-4 hours there on a weekend. Their headquarters store resembles a vertical outdoors IKEA more than a place to buy a tent. The food court, map room, and climbing pinnicle take up a ton of time. The REI in Redmond, WA is part of the Redmond Town Center mall and has its own REI specific parking. I spend 3-4 hours at that mall on a weekly basis. (I go to a gaming store there).

I see your point but at least at the REI headquarter and flagship stores REI are pretty impressive destinations for retail stores. I tend to prefer food locations, malls, gyms or other locations with visits of 1hr or greater but REI isn't Macys.