TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Presumably its because I'm slow, rather than thick?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, Jun 28, 2018.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I stumbled over the home charging rate info on Tesla (UK) website and the table had columns for S, X and 3 and rows for AMPs / kW from 15AMP/2.8kW up to 100/19.2). I was surprised to see that the 3 charged considerably faster than the S or X ...

Luckily I figured it out before actually posting a "Why does the 3 charge faster than an S / X" question and making a complete fool of myself :)

But its something I hadn't considered - and its quite a bit of a difference - at 7.7kW (which I think is the normal residential wall charger) S=23 MPH, X=20 MPH but the 3 does 30 MPH

TeslaChargeRate.jpg

So on some longer journeys where I need more than E7 7-hours to recharge my MS then a Model3 would get the job done within the E7 window, and if I came home, and needed to charge quickly before going back out again, the 3 would be better for that job too.

But basically just "cheaper"

However, the Model-3 maxes out at 11.5kW (44 MPH) whereas the S and X max out at 17.3kW (52 / 45 MPH) [and I think that's only the 100, the 75 and Model-3 LR max out at 11.5 kW and the M3 Sandard battery at 7.7kW

2. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

you're just looking at the greater efficiency of the M3 i think.

S = 300w/mi
    3 = 240w/mi

the 3 max charge rate tops out at 11.5KW whereas the S can go all the way to 19.2 KW.

I am a but confused though as I thought the S 100D had to go to 3phase for the higher charge rates.
    Can the charger fitted to an S really handle 240/80A?

3. WannabeOwner

Yup ... well I hope that's it, otherwise I'm definitely being thick!

So:

Model-3 is (let's say - if not the Model-3 then the thing with the next improvement in efficiency) 1/3rd-ish more efficient than M-S/X. That's not a mean achievement, but I kind of discounted it because electricity is so cheap (compared to Petrol), and car is quite expensive.

10,000 miles p.a. at 30 MPG and fuel at £1.30 a litre is £2,000 p.a.

10,000 miles p.a. at 3 miles per kWh (e.g. Model-S/X) on E7 is around £250.

Save 1/3rd of that and that's only £80 p.a., can't even take the missus out for a meal for that ...

But the car charges 50% faster. Shorter stops at Supercharger. More quickly reaches "full" on home charger. Quite nice fringe benefits :)

4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

erm a third off £250 is more like £167

You should be able to get your missus a Happy Meal with a McFlurry at least for that.

Astonishing value though for !0,000 miles. Makes you wonder how the government will claw the tax back

5. Subevo

Subevo Member

Even cheaper in Scotland.free public charging.
    So far for me. 4000 miles at a cost of £0.
    Sorry spent £20 on the rfid card for charger access.

6. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

They made the High Amperage charger standard on the S75 some point in 2017 I think, so they can do 16.5kW at 230v. I've seen mine hit 18kW when the voltage was higher.

• Like x 1
  7. WannabeOwner

My guess is that they will charge by mile-driven, or something like that. Personally I quite like that approach - charge for road-usage.

Of course we will let foreigners use our roads for free ... as we do with Dartford Crossing tolls ... its nuts :(

It won't be long until some says "Only the rich can afford BEVs and they are avoiding paying tax for road maintenance". I need to move up a tax-bracket; I'm already not using the health care and schools that I pay taxes for, not using the roads too would be cool :)

• Like x 1
  8. WannabeOwner

I bed they gouge you for that each year, that should be for life ... o_O

I have to pay £10 p.a. to not-have-to-pay congestion charge in London. In two years I've been to London only once (but the paperwork takes so long to process you can't do it "just in time for the first trip")

Can't believe that their computer can't figure out from DVLA that my number plate is an "ultra low pollution type".

• Love x 1
  9. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

#9 GeorgeSymonds, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    The S can’t do 19.2 in the UK, it’s either 22kw in the earlier twin charger cars or 16.5kw on the high power charger (of not the base 11kw).

There’s a couple of good sites explaining it

Charging your Tesla

Or a much older one

Understanding charging rates

The speed difference is also explained as it’s simply down to the difference in efficiency.

• Like x 1
  10. Subevo

Subevo Member

I'm sure mine charges mostly at 18kw occasionally 17kw