Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty aweful buying experience so far.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna try and make this is short as possible to not sound too much like a whiny bitch, but I never thought buying a $60k car would suck this much.

When taking delivery and spotting all the defects, the delivery rep told me "don't worry they'll fix everything, just take photos of everything and make a service apt though the app". I spotted so many things wrong that the app wouldn't even let me upload all the photos for 1 service appointment. So I made 2. Of course I had to wait over a week(past the window for returning the car) for my 1st apt.

Fast forward to today when I show up 10 mins early for my apt. I check in at a jam packed service center without any room to park. A few mins later I get a call from the service rep telling my apt is not for another 4 days. I say "no, it's today. I'm looking at it right now in the app. You want me to send you a screenshot of it?". He says, "That's weird, okay I'll grab a guy and head over to you".

Turns out my first appointment had been deleted by their system everywhere but on my app, along with all the photos I had submitted. So now I'm left trying to convince them that all these paint, alignment, headliner, leather, and glass issues where there when I picked up the car. Luckily I had not deleted the photos off my phone and they were dated.

We proceeded to mark all my concerns outside in the blazing heat with barely enough room around the car to maneuver. It was up to me to find all the photos on my phone in the direct noon sun, while they deflected most of my concerns with very carefully worded statements like "we'll definitely check all these things out and make sure they are within spec." and, "You should definitely talk to someone about what they said to you at delivery".

After becoming irritated and fatigued by the sun, trying to find all the dozens of spots that I had photos of, and their robotic canned answers, we concluded with, "We're gonna need at least a few days, is there someone coming to pick you up?".
What?! I replied "Uh, no I'm expecting a loaner". He replied with "Sorry all our loaners are gone and there's a long waiting list that I can put you on. I can give you Uber vouchers".

So here I am, fresh from spending 30 mins confined in a stranger's car during a pandemic, fielding questions about "who I'm going to vote for" and, am I going to take a vaccine "designed by Bill Gates to control the population?". I'm also fairly certain this guy thinks you're supposed to clean leather with cologne.

So here I am with no vehicle, no idea if they will actually fix my car, possibly infected with covid 19, and absolutely stinking of cologne. This is enough to say "never again".

If you made it this far. Thanks for reading.

Any Uber driver who reeks of cologne is gonna get a 1 star from me. I hate being forced to breathe cologne/perfume! I also wouldn't take too kindly in to being baited in to absurd political debate with someone who's obviously been drinking the Conspiracy Flavor-Aid and is in control of where we go in their own vehicle. I'd probably just humor them, query them to see how far the rabbit hole goes, and save the occasion for 'funny stories' to be told later. :D

Man, sorry for the troubles you had there. Trying to do all that (even in Marina Del Rey) in this insane heat is just....difficult. I get the feels too with trying to nav through your phone in direct light.

Good thing is, you're getting the defects handled, you made it back, you can wash off the cologne, let's hope you avoided Miss Rona, and I wish you the best with the car! I'd love to see an update when you get it back.

I took a quick look at my P3D- when I picked it up this past Saturday and it looked fine, but I guess I got lucky. Maybe I didn't really go over it with a fine-toothed comb but if I don't notice anything obvious then I'm probably okay with it. So far so good. I was also lucky that there weren't too many people at the Burbank Tesla location on Saturday, but it was pretty much the last pickup I think.

By the way, the day I got my car it was registering 113° where I live in Santa Clarita! Insane.

Any Uber driver who reeks of cologne is gonna get a 1 star from me. I hate being forced to breathe cologne/perfume! I also wouldn't take too kindly in to being baited in to absurd political debate with someone who's obviously been drinking the Conspiracy Flavor-Aid and is in control of where we go in their own vehicle. I'd probably just humor them, query them to see how far the rabbit hole goes, and save the occasion for 'funny stories' to be told later. :D

Man, sorry for the troubles you had there. Trying to do all that (even in Marina Del Rey) in this insane heat is just....difficult. I get the feels too with trying to nav through your phone in direct light.

Good thing is, you're getting the defects handled, you made it back, you can wash off the cologne, let's hope you avoided Miss Rona, and I wish you the best with the car! I'd love to see an update when you get it back.

I took a quick look at my P3D- when I picked it up this past Saturday and it looked fine, but I guess I got lucky. Maybe I didn't really go over it with a fine-toothed comb but if I don't notice anything obvious then I'm probably okay with it. So far so good. I was also lucky that there weren't too many people at the Burbank Tesla location on Saturday, but it was pretty much the last pickup I think.

By the way, the day I got my car it was registering 113° where I live in Santa Clarita! Insane.

Yeah the heat definite does not help. Especially 113°! Your outlook is certainly more positive than mine. I have half a mind to call them up and postpone the service until they have a loaner for me. That's pretty unbelievable. This was not a cheap car

But all that money does not go into the cars. Transportation, registration, taxes, fees, etc. are charged to the consumer, but the basic vehicle only gets the net $.

Typically governments make lots more $ from the final pricing than does the manufacturer. That they do nothing to earn those fees makes it even more maddening.

Just like when buying gasoline. The producer only gets a portion of your price at the pump. Governments charge huge anounts for taxes, but in reality, very little of that actually goes to maintaining the roads. The most profitable part of selling gasoline goes to the credit card processor. Store owner usually makes very little profit from gas sales. They rely mostly on their Mini-Market to stay in business.

But all that money does not go into the cars. Transportation, registration, taxes, fees, etc. are charged to the consumer, but the basic vehicle only gets the net $.

Typically governments make lots more $ from the final pricing than does the manufacturer. That they do nothing to earn those fees makes it even more maddening.

Just like when buying gasoline. The producer only gets a portion of your price at the pump. Governments charge huge anounts for taxes, but in reality, very little of that actually goes to maintaining the roads. The most profitable part of selling gasoline goes to the credit card processor. Store owner usually makes very little profit from gas sales. They rely mostly on their Mini-Market to stay in business.

I should rephrase that. It's all real money coming out of my pocket. It didn't cost me 40k to get this car in my garage, it cost me 59k.

Reactions: am_dmd and Threader
I'm sorry you've gone through all that. Honestly, this is all fairly typical of Tesla (at least in CA). You were unlucky enough to encounter several Tesla weaknesses all at once: strange technological glitches, poor or conflicting communications, and surprisingly bad SC experience.

They had killed the loaner fleet throughout most of CA even before Pandemic stuff, with just one or two cars per location, so Uber credits aren't super surprising. I had to warn a single-car family with kids about this as it's pretty unusual not to offer loaners for cars at this price point, and car seats in an Uber is an utter nightmare.

Hopefully you at least get the items you pointed out resolved.