Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty aweful buying experience so far.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you're going this this; but it's not untypical.

I knew full well with each of my Tesla purchases I would have to possibly be willing to accept tolerances and issues not acceptable with other makes, I would have to deal with service delays, I would have to deal with possibly of no loaner and only know about it when I got there.

If I wanted to keep a higher level of fit, finish, and customer service I would have stayed with a hybrid or ICE car.

I wanted the fun and toys Tesla largely has an exclusive on right now.

Everything in life is a trade off.

Sorry.

Reactions: Mike MY
This is why I have decided to postpone my delivery in January or when Tesla gets these delivery quality issues under control, whichever comes last.

I know several people with other model Telsas and aside from them mentioning that the paint is cheap, they love them. They also didn't have these types of issues because they didn't take delivery in the first 6 months. My one acquaintance that has a MY, had to reject delivery the first time around.

Sorry you're going this this; but it's not untypical.

I knew full well with each of my Tesla purchases I would have to possibly be willing to accept tolerances and issues not acceptable with other makes, I would have to deal with service delays, I would have to deal with possibly of no loaner and only know about it when I got there.

If I wanted to keep a higher level of fit, finish, and customer service I would have stayed with a hybrid or ICE car.

I wanted the fun and toys Tesla largely has an exclusive on right now.

Everything in life is a trade off.

Sorry.
The fun and toys? Oh, yes, the acceleration. It’s really the only toy I can’t readily get elsewhere

Yeah the heat definite does not help. Especially 113°! Your outlook is certainly more positive than mine. I have half a mind to call them up and postpone the service until they have a loaner for me. That's pretty unbelievable. This was not a cheap car

I think you're right to demand the car you're paying for. I've probably been a bit too lenient, but nothing popped out at me on casual inspection. You shouldn't postpone the service but I would keep on them for a loaner!

I'm sorry you've gone through all that. Honestly, this is all fairly typical of Tesla (at least in CA). You were unlucky enough to encounter several Tesla weaknesses all at once: strange technological glitches, poor or conflicting communications, and surprisingly bad SC experience.

They had killed the loaner fleet throughout most of CA even before Pandemic stuff, with just one or two cars per location, so Uber credits aren't super surprising. I had to warn a single-car family with kids about this as it's pretty unusual not to offer loaners for cars at this price point, and car seats in an Uber is an utter nightmare.

Hopefully you at least get the items you pointed out resolved.

Trouble is that ride-sharing services such as UBER may be on hiatus soon (COVID). Just got a notice on my phone.

what were the issues?

missing paint in 8 different places (as far as I know). audio on phone calls cuts off. loud AC. hood misaligned, stratches on roof glass and tail lights. back seats not aligned. adhesive baked on to windshield. damaged headliner. panel gaps. misaligned rear door (so much so that makes a loud banging noise when closing when the other side doesn't. they already told me they would not fix this.) FW won't update. damaged leather

If it’s so bad and you can’t live with it return it within the window. Some things can and will be taken care of but not everything. This is not uncommon. One of my cars had similar issues and I took it anyway. Beside even leaving the lot they said what could / would be taken care of. Always good to extensively research. But with Tesla it’s a toll of the dice. I knew that going it and was willing to accept a level of quality as well as service issues. I took someone well versed with Tesla on first car. I watched and read everything I could for the next car along with what I learned the first time. I checked EVERYTHING with my last car by myself.

missing paint in 8 different places (as far as I know). audio on phone calls cuts off. loud AC. hood misaligned, stratches on roof glass and tail lights. back seats not aligned. adhesive baked on to windshield. damaged headliner. panel gaps. misaligned rear door (so much so that makes a loud banging noise when closing when the other side doesn't. they already told me they would not fix this.) FW won't update. damaged leather

That sounds like the quality and attention to workmanship of my 3rd grade son's class project. At least his team got a grade of B.

Pictures? This list seems like a googled list of complaints about the model y. With that many issues why didn’t you just reject it out right, that seems like the prudent thing to do...

This isn’t even worth discussing. It should have been refused at delivery. Sure you might think this is always something that will be taken care of but with any business once you give them your money best of lucky. Thankfully has a return policy within so many miles / days. All of this should have been a large flag. Often it falls into I want a new car. I’ve been waiting for it. They say it will be so long for another one.

In any case the research of how Tesla operates was ignored. The inspection at delivery was ignored. And possibly depending on the timing the return window was ignored. I’m sorry but you were given plenty of outs at this point.

If your Not past the return window even if you might be out $1000 eat it and try again or move to another make (or model). Otherwise you are let with get fixed s what they will do and live with it; which doesn’t people can’t do as they just feel screwed over the whole time they have it. Otherwise trade it to CarMad or something a just suck up the hit. You avoid a lot less stress in long run. Don’t feel stuck.

He listened to Tesla‘s deception. New car buyers coming from other manufacturers don’t realize the mistake that is.

Always do research on expensive purchases. I spent hours, or even dozen or hundreds of hours depending on the item before giving over my money.
I’ve owned and been reading about Tesla for close to a decade now. With my two Model 3 purchased I waited two years from launch and still did more research before and then again the next year when I bought a second one.

A couple of points, I ID'd 8 defects on my car at delivery (4 exterior and 4 interior) all submitted via the app to the STL SC the day after delivery. The front bumper was damaged in transit and I had been notified of that the evening before delivery being told they ordered a new one and that the car was still drivable. But of course, I could refuse delivery, upon arrival the damage wasn't that bad and proceeded to accept delivery of VIN 26028, by recent standards my car was almost perfect. That was on July 28th, my appointment was for Aug 5th a week later. Drop off was uneventful to my surprise as was them bring me a P85D as a loaner (I have my son follow in his vehicle because I had been warned that loaners are "first come first served) and I was on my way in about 30 minutes with everything I had documented accepted for repair. Cool so far. Days pass and while can check on my car via the app and see doors open/closed, frunk/hatch opened closed and its physical location within the SC move its complete RADIO SILENCE. Finally of day 4 (Friday at around noon), I start calling for an update, that's when I discover the business card my SA gave me only had the generic SC phone #. So after going through the automated menu to determine the quickest way to navigate err shortcut the menu I made no less than 15 phone calls, each ending the same way being sent to VM hell. Finally, at 4:20 (they close at 5 pm) someone answeres the phone, of course, he's not my SA and he really doesn't want to talk to me about my car but says he'll leave a note for my SA to call me back. I explain my car has been there since Tues it's going on a weekend and I have their loaner is there any info he can get me. So he puts me on hold, he comes back and reads off the screen, parts ordered, they are due sometime next week and have a nice weekend with our loaner (a 2014 P85D locked in permanent CHILL mode). So that's what I do. I monitored my car all weekend its was inside while it was a typical HOT STL summer but not plugged in) I could see my cabin temp in the mid-seventies but my battery went from 51% on Friday to 40% by Monday morning. So I reach out to the local FB STL page for advice and now learn this is how it s. some of the more seasoned members off up their secret method to beat the system and speak to a SA but by now those secrets aren't so secret. So the last advice is "why don't you just drive their loaner of there and stand in line until they speak to you. It's 41 miles one way through STL with construction on the bridges. But I was all set to do that when I get an e-mail from Tesla with a list of the Parts Ordered for my Tesla. The order date was Friday, Aug 8th but I dropped it off on Tues Aug 5th. So they did nothing for almost 4 full work days. That is finally followed by a text message from my SA providing some info but not much eles, so thinking I now had a secret channel to my SA I shot him a reply. This went on for days, my car was taken to a local body shop to repaint the front bumper and right fender that had a paint chip but they clear coated over it any way. Guess I was lucky because that proved it was that way at delivery and not on my drive home. It'll shorten this but my car was at the SC from Aug 5th till Aug 17th when I picked it up at 5:40 pm with no one present, I dropped off their loaner, put FOB in the night drop box and got into my car and drove home. They fixed everything except one interior item that they are still waiting on the part but was assured a Ranger will be dispatched when it arrives. The touchless pick up wasn't without drama but that's for another day when I can talk about it without getting emotional or being labled as a spoiled self-absorbed, self centered cry baby that needs to grow up.

What did I learn, if you expect ANY level of communication found even calling your local Wal-Mart or Ford/GM dealer - DON'T. So I have my car back, I just rolled over 300 miles on it and so far I can't find ANYTHING else to complain about and we love driving it. So three weeks of ownership, Tesla had it for two of the three weeks. But at last I can start installing my accessories that were piling up in may garage.

• Funny
Reactions: wws and CyberGus