Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty loud rattling from outside when it's hot / AC is on - front wheel well / frunk area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Community,

I have quite a loud rattling sound coming from the front wheel well / frunk area that seems to be AC / heat pump related. It occurs mostly when it is hot outside and/or the AC is producing cool air. I also get the rattle one or two times quite often when I open the driver door, seems like when the climate control or something else starts up.

It gets loud enough to where I can hear it inside the car with the windows up, even though the sound clearly emanates from the outside.

I did some searching and found plenty of AC blower and loud heat pump reports, but nothing that rattles quite like this. I plan to setup a service appointment but was curious if anyone else has come across this one?

Thanks.

Does it sound similar to this video? If so, its the air conditioning compressor destroying itself.
Thanks for the link. It's possible, but it sounds somewhat different to me. My rattle is intermittent seeming to depend on 1) how hot it is outside 2) how warm the car/battery is (e.g. from driving up a grade) 3) possibly the a/c being on. I'll try switching the AC compressor on/off when it occurs to see if this has an affect.

Tesla service app already responded with an estimate to "Replace Refrigerant P/T Sensors" to resolve the issue, some searching led me to find SB-21-18-002 from March. Interesting that they propose this fix already before they even take a look, maybe they are just that good!

Does anyone know what other compressors might live just behind the front bumper? I turned off the power to the climate control and the noise continued for a bit.

Maybe the AC compressor keeps pumping for a bit? Is the battery cooling pump in the same place?