Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty piss poor service so far at the Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a suggestion, not a demand :)
BTW, just got back from the Keys last weekend. Love that place. Sorry if I came across too strong in my earlier reply.
I certainly would qualify as a Tesla fanboy, although mostly from a performance and tech perspective. Once you drive one you understand.

I guess I should have adjusted, and brought attention to the part where I am demanded to go buy a Toyota if I want a reliable vehicle. By a member who, by the way, does not know me, and is definitely not the bossame. :D

Thank you for filling in the context. It helps.

I don't know if there is an unbiased source of information on what percentages of Tesla's come with problems.
Happy people don't say as much as unhappy people. 100 people crash in a Ford no one cares, 1 Tesla crashes it's national news.

With that said, a couple things stand out:

1 - At the end of the day it's worth the hassle. It's a driving experience people cannot find anywhere else. I have a wife who thought it would be absolutely crazy to spend more than $50K on a vehicle. After a month of owning the Model X that cost substantially more, she said it was worth every penny.

2 - Tesla tries to make it right. I've had a few issues, very minor but Tesla took care of me each and every time. I don't expect the typical owner to be treated better/worse than what I got.

3 - Despite any and all issues, consumers keep coming back. My next two cars are going to be Tesla's and I can't see getting another manufacturer. Consumer Reports sentiment seems to echo my belief.

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

--
Even as a 'fanboy' I don't think I am willing to put up with any more or any less than the next consumer. I just know from my research and personal ownership that challenges are par for the course.

I hope and expect for Tesla to continue improving but for right now, it is what it is.

I don't know how damaged or issue ridden my Model 3 is going to be (could be totally fine).

What I DO KNOW for sure, is that my car can't come fast enough.

Lastly, it is a spectrum here.
Some people would volunteer their family to be the 1st human cargo on a Falcon rocket.
Some people don't even OWN a Tesla but make it their life's work to poo on Tesla cars and their owners.

Can't judge the car from those two extremes. :)

Reactions: X Fan
I think most of us on here are all fans of Tesla to varying degrees. Having owned my M3 for approximately 2 weeks, I really can say its a great car and a provides a driving experience like no other. It's not without its issues, however, and I believe discussing them openly can help make Tesla better.

When I read the OPs experience, I had to cringe a little because, given the hype of the M3 and the years long wait, I'm sure OP was excited to finally receive the car - like anyone would be. To have it fail on day one was no doubt disappointing and to have little to no update from the service center is a bit like pouring salt on the wound. This isn't a case where the car was driven extensively and broke down, it appeared to be faulty on delivery. While I'm sure the loaner provided by the SC is very nice, by all reasonable measures, OP has not received the product he ordered. Holding Tesla accountable is not a blind criticism of the company as some have suggested.

Hope OP gets his M3 back soon.

Tesla needs to do some guerilla marketing and get the general public to lower their expectations. DW and I are normally pretty anal. We don't own Tesla stock, aren't fanboys, etc. Just heard people rave about them and thought it made sense. However, I've got friends who own a bunch of them, and showed us the tons of issues on their S and X cars and basically warned us to "not expect perfection" on a Tesla. Psychologically, it really helped us to not get as annoyed when we see minor things. Especially as it's replacing a Japan built Lexus, which basically has some of the best build quality out on the market.

I just left my local dealer, but there's an old guy in there blowing up, demanding a "senior manager", because he just got a text saying they had issues drafting his paperwork and won't be able to see him for another 1.5 to 2.5 hours. Not telling him to come another day like lots of people have gotten, just a couple of hours. Regular, non-Tesla fanboys aren't gonna give Tesla that might slack when the cars are in the E-class/5 series price range. The implicit customer service expectation is raised at that price level. As the old guy shouted, Tesla really needs to try and avoid turning off people on their very first interaction with the company.

I know Elon doesn't like to admit issues often, but now that they're hitting the non-fanboy market, they really need to adjust expectations from the general public. I'm on a couple of FB groups too and there are quite a few rant posts because, honestly, Tesla is really dropping the ball in many areas with the Model 3 ramp up. I knew Tesla is having issues with paperwork today based on the tons of posts I saw already, but most people aren't on the forums or FB groups.

Reactions: kablammyman
I can understand where the OP is coming from....

I took delivery back on 7/12..... I had a few issues which (with the Delivery Person) photographed and documented the issues.
1.) Scratches on the Driver side Headlight Lens
2.) Passenger side Headlight wasn't seated properly and was misaligned...
3.) Both headlights with large overbite ratio to the front bumper
4.) Cracked rear tail light (driver side)
5.) Hood misaligned (sits far to passengers side leaving no gap on that side/Large gap on Driver side.... Also it sits to far back leaving large gap in front allowing debris to enter the frunk area).

Was told that they would make it right.... I understood that they were quite busy with new deliveries and waited to hear from someone.

1 week goes by.... I stop by on the 7th day and ask to talk to someone.... They attempt to look up my issues for a status to only find nothing in the file.... no comments.... no photos......

They apologize and we discuss the issues that I mention above.... I'm told they will get on it and I will hear from them with in 24 hrs....

So, it's been another week since this last meeting.... No email..... No call.... NADA....

So tomorrow, I will make the trip down there and politely ask what is going on.... No I am pretty shocked of the lack of consideration here...

I could maybe understand if I had raise holy H**L over the issues..... But that hasn't been the case...

Now, with the update last week on 24.8, I have A/C issues.... Which add's to the list...

To add insult to injury.... I have had to cancel 2 separate appointments to get the car PPF'd and ceramic coated....

No communication is just poor service... period.... No excuses...

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
I live in Salt lake, the service center has always done a good job updating me at least once a day, (all but one time) I think it depends on your location and or the advisor, but agree there seems to be a need of process improvements.

I can understand where the OP is coming from....

I took delivery back on 7/12..... I had a few issues which (with the Delivery Person) photographed and documented the issues.
1.) Scratches on the Driver side Headlight Lens
2.) Passenger side Headlight wasn't seated properly and was misaligned...
3.) Both headlights with large overbite ratio to the front bumper
4.) Cracked rear tail light (driver side)
5.) Hood misaligned (sits far to passengers side leaving no gap on that side/Large gap on Driver side.... Also it sits to far back leaving large gap in front allowing debris to enter the frunk area).

Was told that they would make it right.... I understood that they were quite busy with new deliveries and waited to hear from someone.

1 week goes by.... I stop by on the 7th day and ask to talk to someone.... They attempt to look up my issues for a status to only find nothing in the file.... no comments.... no photos......

They apologize and we discuss the issues that I mention above.... I'm told they will get on it and I will hear from them with in 24 hrs....

So, it's been another week since this last meeting.... No email..... No call.... NADA....

So tomorrow, I will make the trip down there and politely ask what is going on.... No I am pretty shocked of the lack of consideration here...

I could maybe understand if I had raise holy H**L over the issues..... But that hasn't been the case...

Now, with the update last week on 24.8, I have A/C issues.... Which add's to the list...

To add insult to injury.... I have had to cancel 2 separate appointments to get the car PPF'd and ceramic coated....

No communication is just poor service... period.... No excuses...

Do you regret your Model 3 purchase and wish you got a different car instead?

Thanks all for your support and well wishes. Being the OP, I just wanted to say I didn't mean to create such a firestorm.

Tesla does monitor these forums and tries to make things right. I did get feedback today from the SC that they are waiting on a part. No ETA on when that is expected but they probably have no idea.

The loaner I got is only an old 2013 model s 85, which has no AP and doesn't connect to the app (since a loaner) or have the range of an Model 3 but at least is a good intro to Tesla. I hope it is not spoiling me for the Model 3.

Unfortunately this is the downside of Tesla. Their SCs are so flooded especially after Model 3 came out. Many new owners bring in their cars because they've came from ICE cars and have different expectations.

What different expectations?? Whatever happened to: less moving parts! Less that can go wrong! No oil changes, less brake use, less visits for service or maintenance!

*shrug*

Thanks all for your support and well wishes. Being the OP, I just wanted to say I didn't mean to create such a firestorm.

Tesla does monitor these forums and tries to make things right. I did get feedback today from the SC that they are waiting on a part. No ETA on when that is expected but they probably have no idea.

The loaner I got is only an old 2013 model s 85, which has no AP and doesn't connect to the app (since a loaner) or have the range of an Model 3 but at least is a good intro to Tesla. I hope it is not spoiling me for the Model 3.

Interesting enough, Tesla also reached out to me and indicated that they were still were waiting on a part (drive stalk / Aug delivery date) but the tail light was in stock.... Also asked me to drop by to look at the alignment issues...

As for the AC and EAP.... They are aware of it and hope to have a firmware fix soon...

I picked up my car on Wednesday (July 25). So they had it almost two weeks. They ended up ordering a new "body control" module and installing it. It seems to work fine now. I don't think the delay was too bad since they had to order a part. My only complaint was that no update on cause of problem or remedy until about 11 days after dropping it off.