Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty stoked about this powered frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like these kits continue to evolve (version 4?) and have small issues that still pop up (based on posts in this thread). I may wait for version 6 or so

Only difference between version 3 and 4 was a latching sensor to make sure the hood loop is seated in the latch before pulling down. There were also inconsistencies in the manufacturing on Tesla's part. My two MYs are identical build and less than 50 apart for VIN and the lower threaded mounting points were off from each other about an inch from car to car.

Also, similar to other posters, our hood is now misaligned about 1/8” toward the passenger side and 1/8” lower on the passenger side as well. It seems like when I was tightening the mounting plate that it wasn’t very flush to any of the sides and might be slightly lower than the driver side.
The misalignment was much more severe (>1/4”) before I put the Frunk tub back in, so I may play with the bump stops to see if that helps. We have a SC appointment in a couple of weeks as the last resort to have the hood repositioned, hoping I don’t have to pay for that!
Did you mark the latch location prior to removing it?

Only difference between version 3 and 4 was a latching sensor to make sure the hood loop is seated in the latch before pulling down. There were also inconsistencies in the manufacturing on Tesla's part. My two MYs are identical build and less than 50 apart for VIN and the lower threaded mounting points were off from each other about an inch from car to car.

Zoso - my vin is 1142 and I am having that issue with the mounting points at least on my driver's side, is your VIN in that range of mine?

Slightly off-topic, but what are you doing with the frunk so frequently that you need an automatic one? I have the car for 2 months now and the only time I've opened the frunk was to put a maxpider mat in it.
I keep all the “in case of emergency...” items in the frunk. Those scenarios are generally unscheduled, so the material should be in the car. Dirty hands are nearly guaranteed. Also, one needs to open and/or close the frunk while holding stuff.
  • Tow hook.
  • Jack adapters.
  • Air pump.
  • Mobile Connector and its adapters.
  • Adapters I built using appliance pigtails.
  • Work gloves.
  • A few tools.
Thus, seriously considering this.

• Informative
Reactions: FredMertz
Did you mark the latch location prior to removing it?
No, unlike the Model 3 Frunk latch, there isn’t much lateral wiggle room and very little up & down movement for the Model Y, so it didn’t necessarily need marking. Also, because the height of the hood relative to the quarter panels was affected, it really seems to point to the struts, or more likely the positioning of the mounts as they weren’t a good fit to the contour of the inside metal frame. The mounts have a strange shape which would suggest the design was intentional, but it just didn’t fit the surrounding metal very well. I even double checked the picture in the install doc as well as the Tesla Raj video to make sure I had it oriented correctly. Did anyone else notice that the mounts weren’t very flush to the metal even though the screw was going in correctly/smoothly?

There is quite a bit of lateral and vertical play in the front latch when the bolts are loose. You need to close the frunk to the point when the loop is right by the catch, stoop down and verify it is at the center of the catch. Once the frunk is closed, it's obvious if the vertical adjustment needs correction.

There is quite a bit of lateral and vertical play in the front latch when the bolts are loose. You need to close the frunk to the point when the loop is right by the catch, stoop down and verify it is at the center of the catch. Once the frunk is closed, it's obvious if the vertical adjustment needs correction.
Yes, I’m very familiar with aligning the hook with the latch as I installed both the Trunk & Frunk openers in our Model 3 last summer.
In the case of the hood misalignment on our Y, the soft close is working correctly and the front of the hood where the hook and latch are are both flush in height and centered. It’s the sides of the hood closer to the corners that are misaligned after the install, which seem to suggest that the mounting might be the cause.

No, unlike the Model 3 Frunk latch, there isn’t much lateral wiggle room and very little up & down movement for the Model Y, so it didn’t necessarily need marking. Also, because the height of the hood relative to the quarter panels was affected, it really seems to point to the struts, or more likely the positioning of the mounts as they weren’t a good fit to the contour of the inside metal frame. The mounts have a strange shape which would suggest the design was intentional, but it just didn’t fit the surrounding metal very well. I even double checked the picture in the install doc as well as the Tesla Raj video to make sure I had it oriented correctly. Did anyone else notice that the mounts weren’t very flush to the metal even though the screw was going in correctly/smoothly?

with regards to your question about the mounts not being flush, I was told by support (Smart Tesla) that you should be aware of "extra" seam sealer that could be preventing the mount from sitting flush.

Just completed the installation of the latest update (2021.4.6) and noticed the frunk button is no longer working. I can still open/close the frunk via Tesla app and onboard screen. I've reached out to Raymond @ TeslaOffer, pending response. This is on for TeslaOffer's Model Y frunk Mark 4.0.

Wondering if others are experiencing the same.

Just completed the installation of the latest update (2021.4.6) and noticed the frunk button is no longer working. I can still open/close the frunk via Tesla app and onboard screen. I've reached out to Raymond @ TeslaOffer, pending response. This is on for TeslaOffer's Model Y frunk Mark 4.0.

Wondering if others are experiencing the same.

On 2021.4.6, all are working fine - app, screen, frunk emergency button.

Tesla Offer Auto Frunk 4.0 installed 1 month ago or so.

Can anyone point me where I can find the latest software for the Tesla Offer MK4? I can't find it on their website.

My emergency button randomly stopped working as well but I have not tried unplugging (running software from factory in 12/2020).

The site mentions "software update will be provided by Tech Support if needed"

Have you tried re-initializing the main module - basically STEP 8 of the install guide. Double tapping the black botton of the control module will also lock the latch vs manually pushing down to lock the latch...then follow Step 8.

I've had Latch sensor error that won't go away after following Step 8...last thing I did was to unplug the power connection (from battery) and let the Y go on deep sleep overnight...and reconnect reinitialize the TO module the next morning and all was well.

R, K3R0P1 :cool:

Electric Frunk (Mark 3.0)

Last edited:
Hi it's me again... so it turns out the emergency button is no longer working. I've tried unplug and plug the emergency button, nada. I've tried reinitializing follow STEP 8, no luck. I've unplugged the power connection (from battery) and will let the car go to sleep overnight. Will reconnect, reinitialize tomorrow morning... stay tuned!