Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty stoked about this powered frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damn it, $521 for TO or $495 for Hans...not sweating the $20 but not sure who to go with...

At the end of the day, I bet either one will be fine (probably come out of the same factory, haha!!).

I just put the Hansshow kick-sensor in one of our MY's and it works great. Everything seemed well-made (the harness was OEM quality).

OTOH, I've appreciated TO's responsiveness so I went with them. Maybe they hustled me, haha!! We'll soon see!!

was there concerns that it wouldn't? I also updated to 40.8 and no issues with the kick sensor. it just fakes a button press so it shouldn't be affected by software updates right?

I'm not aware of any concerns with the lick sensor and updates...I was responding to another poster who asked about it.

Maybe they thought I have the power frunk already?? IIRC, there was anb issue with the Hansshow power frunk after a Tesla update, but it was quickly fixed with a Hansshow firmware update.

I'm not aware of any concerns with the lick sensor.

lick sensor.jpg

Just heard from Tesla Offer

They are coming out with a Mark 4 version of the power frunk in 2-3 weeks, and asked me if I wanted to wait until then.

According to them, the difference between the Mark 3 and 4 is that with the MK3, it's possible for something to block the frunk from closing, but the system won't report out to the car that it isn't latched correctly. The MK4 fixes that.

Of course, I told them I'd be happy to wait for the MK4, haha!!

Reactions: helvio
Just heard from Tesla Offer

They are coming out with a Mark 4 version of the power frunk in 2-3 weeks, and asked me if I wanted to wait until then.

According to them, the difference between the Mark 3 and 4 is that with the MK3, it's possible for something to block the frunk from closing, but the system won't report out to the car that it isn't latched correctly. The MK4 fixes that.

Of course, I told them I'd be happy to wait for the MK4, haha!!
Same here, I will have to install it myself so it will give me better time to prepare LOL

Slightly off-topic, but what are you doing with the frunk so frequently that you need an automatic one? I have the car for 2 months now and the only time I've opened the frunk was to put a maxpider mat in it.
I suspect for most it's less about frequency of use and more ease of use. As it is today you have to touch a dirty hood to close it. Or if it's clean, you make it dirty with your handprints. Then there's the possibility of damage. Mine came pre-damaged right out of the factory, and when I took it to the service center they said they see tons of them and keep a list and fix them in big batches.

When the frunk was bigger like in my Model S it was a bigger deal, but it would still be nice to be able to use it more regularly without worry.

Slightly off-topic, but what are you doing with the frunk so frequently that you need an automatic one? I have the car for 2 months now and the only time I've opened the frunk was to put a maxpider mat in it.

What @Gizmotoy said...I never use the Frunk because either:

- It’s clean, and I don’t want my greasy mitts leaving palm prints or,
- It’s dirty, and I don’t want to grind dust into the paint and,
- It’s fragile, and it’s freaky watching it warp when I’m closing it haha!!

Because of all of the above, like you, I opened the frunk to put my maxpider mat in, and I open it when I wash the car to dry/dust underneath (when I can use a microfiber cloth to close it) and that’s it haha!!

I have a real use case, I do food delivery with my Tesla, doordash, GrubHub, that kind of stuff. I dislike the smell inside the cabin, so I do use the frunk quite a lot. I’d like to use more, but I’m afraid and it’s not super convenient to close it, I end up wasting time and am always scared to damage it. I feel like having it automated would make my life easier!

Reactions: BadWolf