Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty stoked about this powered frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm definitely planning to buy a Hansshow auto frunk and will have it installed by someone with experienced. I love the idea of the frunk but I too do not like to put my bare hands on the frunk lid in order to close it properly. Tesla should have done the auto frunk for the refresh, not a power trunk.

For the TO folks, I just got an email with updated firmware (along with flashing instructions) for the MK4.

Nice to see they are pushing updates vs. having to discover them on my own.

I’ve got two kits to install this weekend. Like always, the second one will go a lot faster than the first, haha!!

Make sure you update it before closing the first time. I installed the first one yesterday evening. Followed the instructions including latch test and pushing the button to close. Closed perfectly and then would not open.

After trying multiple things (one of which resulted in a paint chip on my frunk despite using bubble wrap and being extremely careful) I was finally able to get it open when TO came on line. I had already pulled the wheel liners on both sides searching for a mechanical release after reading that is what Tesla Service did for M3 when they had latch actuator problems. When TO asked me to push the control unit button twice to reset the latch motor I was able to reach up over the frame (between the frame and the hood) and manage to get a hold of the box and fish it back to the wheel well (barely enough wire length.) Once I pushed the button twice the latch finally released.

Even after that, the auto frunk would not behave properly until it was flashed. Then it instantly started working as it should after initialization. TO indicated that there was a bug in the firmware the box shipped with.

• Informative
Reactions: jf64k
Same here. Nothing happens with the emergency cord. I guess we'll have to ping Hansshow and see what they say.

You put the file on a micro sd card (they say 32gb or less, I partitioned a 128 to 32gb) rename the file to update.yst and pop it in the control box when it is active (red light flashing.) The red light will flash fast while flashing new firmware and then go solid. Took like 10 seconds on mine. Then eject the card.

Make sure you update it before closing the first time. I installed the first one yesterday evening. Followed the instructions including latch test and pushing the button to close. Closed perfectly and then would not open.

After trying multiple things (one of which resulted in a paint chip on my frunk despite using bubble wrap and being extremely careful) I was finally able to get it open when TO came on line. I had already pulled the wheel liners on both sides searching for a mechanical release after reading that is what Tesla Service did for M3 when they had latch actuator problems. When TO asked me to push the control unit button twice to reset the latch motor I was able to reach up over the frame (between the frame and the hood) and manage to get a hold of the box and fish it back to the wheel well (barely enough wire length.) Once I pushed the button twice the latch finally released.

Even after that, the auto frunk would not behave properly until it was flashed. Then it instantly started working as it should after initialization. TO indicated that there was a bug in the firmware the box shipped with.

Thanks for the tip!! I'll be sure to have my microSD ready, haha!!

Would you mind elaborating on this? I installed the Hanshow rear hatch kick sensor. The results are outstanding -- great for the $80 or $90. However, my installation was difficult, especially chasing the wire through the rubber connector between the hatch and the body. How much easier is this install?

The only annoying thing with this power frunk installation is reaching down to remove the stock struts. The installation videos in youtube covers pretty much everything you need to know. there is no difficult wire fishing, no need to remove/replace trim panels. The frunk tub comes out with just 5 bolts. Just be sure to mark the location of the latch so you can put it back *exactly* where it used to be.

The only annoying thing with this power frunk installation is reaching down to remove the stock struts. The installation videos in youtube covers pretty much everything you need to know. there is no difficult wire fishing, no need to remove/replace trim panels. The frunk tub comes out with just 5 bolts. Just be sure to mark the location of the latch so you can put it back *exactly* where it used to be.
Completely agree. The trunk kick sensor was a much bigger PITA! I easily spent 4+ hours in my garage doing the work. Fishing the wire through was tough, even with the guiding rod. But after it's all said and done, it's by far the most bang for your buck! :D

Another tip that made things go faster with the second set I installed. Remove the bottom ball bolt with the original strut still attached using an open-end wrench (after popping the top socket off.) Plenty of room to rotate the wrench and the bolt turns very easily after loosened. It was much more difficult trying to get the pick I was using under the socket spring clip.

Reactions: HeyEph and ACAG
Just got done installing my first of two Tesla Offer kits. Very straight forward install. Like others have said, hardest part was removing the driver side strut. I’d say about three hours all in, and that was taking my time since this was the first install.

Super-nice OEM quality wiring harness. Very well made. I like that the control box if weather tight. Makes finding a place for it a breeze. Struts felt solid. Nice quality rubber boots. Everything looked brand new.

HUGE shoutout to @Zoso for the tip about removing the lower strut bolts with the struts attached. A long pattern 13mm open end wrench worked perfectly. Saved all kinds of time!!

The only snag I had was when I first closed the frunk it wouldn’t cinch down, unless I lightly pushed on it. Took a look and the latch was JUST a little too far to one side. A quick adjustment and all is well.

I’m impressed with how quiet it is...the install videos made it sound loud on open/close. I don’t know if there’s been some improvement or what, but when standing next to the MY, the hatch and frunk sound identical when moving. Nice!!

The frunk opens/closes from the app, the screen, and the fob. You can set the open/close speed from “2” to “6”. Factory default is “4”. I tried 6 and like it. It wasn’t a huge difference in speed, but why wait around any more than you have to, haha!!

Of course, the second install will go faster!!

Just got done installing my first of two Tesla Offer kits. Very straight forward install. Like others have said, hardest part was removing the driver side strut. I’d say about three hours all in, and that was taking my time since this was the first install.

Super-nice OEM quality wiring harness. Very well made. I like that the control box if weather tight. Makes finding a place for it a breeze. Struts felt solid. Nice quality rubber boots. Everything looked brand new.

HUGE shoutout to @Zoso for the tip about removing the lower strut bolts with the struts attached. A long pattern 13mm open end wrench worked perfectly. Saved all kinds of time!!

The only snag I had was when I first closed the frunk it wouldn’t cinch down, unless I lightly pushed on it. Took a look and the latch was JUST a little too far to one side. A quick adjustment and all is well.

I’m impressed with how quiet it is...the install videos made it sound loud on open/close. I don’t know if there’s been some improvement or what, but when standing next to the MY, the hatch and frunk sound identical when moving. Nice!!

The frunk opens/closes from the app, the screen, and the fob. You can set the open/close speed from “2” to “6”. Factory default is “4”. I tried 6 and like it. It wasn’t a huge difference in speed, but why wait around any more than you have to, haha!!

Of course, the second install will go faster!!

Nice to hear all positive and congrats on the install and tips. I should get my TO set tomorrow so will be installing probably tomorrow. LOL. Is there any firmware/software upgrade to do before activating or simply install out of the box?

Nice to hear all positive and congrats on the install and tips. I should get my TO set tomorrow so will be installing probably tomorrow. LOL. Is there any firmware/software upgrade to do before activating or simply install out of the box?
Update the firmware. The first kit I installed closed during the initialization and wouldn't open due to the firmware that shipped with the unit being buggy.

Update the firmware. The first kit I installed closed during the initialization and wouldn't open due to the firmware that shipped with the unit being buggy.

What @Zoso said...I got an email from TO with the updated firmware and followed the simple instructions. The flashing took all of 10 seconds.

It's possible of course that your set already has the new firmware...you might want to reach out to TO to verify. They are very responsive on WhatsApp. If so, it would save you a step.

Seems I've read that these powered Frunks tend to show issues after longer periods of time, not initially. (To be honest, cant recall which brand if that matters).Anyone had one of these on for say, several months? If so, any issues with latching/adjustments going out of whack?