Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prevent Auto-Presenting Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the auto-presenting doors feature on. I normally love it and works great. However I was wondering what I could do to prevent the door from opening if necessary. This is what happened yesterday. Parked in a lot and got out. When I returned, a car had parked pretty close to mine. I'd guess there were less than 20 inches between us. As I walked to the driver's side, the door popped open and I lunged to try to hold the door from hitting the car next to me. My reflexes were too slow evidently and it connected slightly with the plastic molding around the wheel well of the adjacent car (it was angled parking...that's why their tire and my door were in proximity).

Fortunately no damage to either vehicle! I am just trying to figure out what I could do in a similar situation. Looking back, I should have given the key to my wife and walked to the door and then told her to approach. But that's a hack! Any ideas?

I have the auto-presenting doors feature on. I normally love it and works great. However I was wondering what I could do to prevent the door from opening if necessary. This is what happened yesterday. Parked in a lot and got out. When I returned, a car had parked pretty close to mine. I'd guess there were less than 20 inches between us. As I walked to the driver's side, the door popped open and I lunged to try to hold the door from hitting the car next to me. My reflexes were too slow evidently and it connected slightly with the plastic molding around the wheel well of the adjacent car (it was angled parking...that's why their tire and my door were in proximity).

Fortunately no damage to either vehicle! I am just trying to figure out what I could do in a similar situation. Looking back, I should have given the key to my wife and walked to the door and then told her to approach. But that's a hack! Any ideas?

Approach from the front?

Reactions: loganintx
Sorry no ideas but wanted to share that I have my auto presenting door feature disabled. I have tried enabling it a few times but the door behavior has made disable it. It seems to detect an obstacle only after hitting it. Also I am worried about moving obstacles (kids, bikers etc.)

Hoping for a better functionality with the future SW updates.

@dwebb66 - because there was a wall in front of our cars that wouldn't have worked...although that's a good idea.

@sukhi - i had it disabled originally, but i've come to enjoy it. i think you are ok with hitting things randomly since it really only pops a couple inches to begin with. the full open doesn't happen unless you get pretty close. but i agree with you that some SW updates could improve this. i'm just thinking they don't have door sensors other than impact so they can't measure distance in inches.

I have it on most of the time, really love it for getting in the car with hands full of Starbucks stuff.

I turn it off when I'm someplace where I'm going to be incidentally walking past the car a lot (like at a radio control contest) with no intention of using the car.