Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventative eMMC Repair - options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toni does a great job. I had mine replaced with him. Great guy! If someone isn't comfortable opening up their entire dash, taking out the MCU and the board, I can help you with that (west coast). I'll come to you, and bring the chip to Toni and then came back to you and put everything back together.
I have done a lot of repairs on my own and other people's Model S, if you need help with other things I might be able to help.

It's possible to proactively retrieve the critical data from the MCU before it fails without the risk of desoldering the eMMC.

It requires MCU removal and disassembly, however. And some familiarity with Linux.

tried to contact you but somehow I cannot PM...could you please give me a shout and PM me instead? Thanks for all your help in the community. Cheers Anton

Toni does a great job. I had mine replaced with him. Great guy! If someone isn't comfortable opening up their entire dash, taking out the MCU and the board, I can help you with that (west coast). I'll come to you, and bring the chip to Toni and then came back to you and put everything back together.
I have done a lot of repairs on my own and other people's Model S, if you need help with other things I might be able to help.

If you still are doing this, I would be greatly helped! I’m left with this issue at a charger in a parking garage that won’t fit a tow truck. Tesla refuses to send out mobile technicians.

If there’s anyone who can do this in the Bay Area, I’m in South Bay in great need of help.

Thank you I’m advance.

Yes I definitely wouldn’t touch it while under warranty....what’s the point?
I believe the point is to avoid driving an unreliable car. If your emmc is dying, your car becomes a ticking time bomb. Would you like to go on a cross country trip knowing that your emmc is on its last legs? Even if it's under warranty, if it dies in the middle of your trip it will cost you way more in the trip interruption costs that the preventative emmc swap. Imaging being stuck 1,500 miles from home and having the option to tow the car the last 1,500 miles, or pay to live in a hotel somewhere for up to a month while waiting for a free MCU replacement, or you can fly home, then return to pick up the car, or have it shipped once it's fixed - all costs not part of warranty coverage. When my MCU started dying, I would not take my car anywhere past about 60 miles away from home, never wanted to have it die on me with almost empty battery either, as it could prevent your car from charging.

There is also one more hidden benefit of preventative replacement under warranty, if your MCU cannot be recovered, just it back together and have it repaired by Tesla under warranty - they have ways to regenerate keys if needed.