Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventative eMMC Repair - options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

I have a Nov 2017 MS and being now 2 years into the 4 year life span of my eMMC, I'd like to just repair it now instead of getting stranded and paying Tesla crazy money for another MCU.

I've separately messaged wk057 and ingineer but never received a response. Is someone able to recommend anyone else that does these repairs?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone

I have a Nov 2017 MS and being now 2 years into the 4 year life span of my eMMC, I'd like to just repair it now instead of getting stranded and paying Tesla crazy money for another MCU.

I've separately messaged wk057 and ingineer but never received a response. Is someone able to recommend anyone else that does these repairs?

Thanks!

Hi, you can bring/send your car up, send me the Terga, or I can even have someone come to SD and do this at your house for an extra charge. Turn around is about 1 week. PM me for more details. Helped a few forum members already.

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

Does anything do this in the Northeast

WK057 does in the East. Very few people offer this in the world currently. The process is not totally safe for everyone to attempt. Killing the eMMC before the data is recovered leaves a really nice bricked mcu needing to be replaced by Tesla. Not doing this right can kill the eMMC prematurely. At this point in time I suggest you work with someone who does this and has a solid process.

If someone sends us a Terga that cant be recovered fully, we offer additional solutions or we don't charge anything other then the shipping back.

You do know, right? that Elon says they are working on an upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU2? They are having trouble. He says its not easy. (The guy that is building a rocket to Mars says it isn't easy.) He says it will cost about $2,000. About. No idea when. Even when, it could take years to get through the cars that are out there in the fleet already.

https://ww.electrek.co/2018/03/27/tesla-mcu-retrofits-new-software-update-elon-musk/

Last edited:
WK057 does in the East. Very few people offer this in the world currently. The process is not totally safe for everyone to attempt. Killing the eMMC before the data is recovered leaves a really nice bricked mcu needing to be replaced by Tesla. Not doing this right can kill the eMMC prematurely. At this point in time I suggest you work with someone who does this and has a solid process.

If someone sends us a Terga that cant be recovered fully, we offer additional solutions or we don't charge anything other then the shipping back.
It's possible to proactively retrieve the critical data from the MCU before it fails without the risk of desoldering the eMMC.

It requires MCU removal and disassembly, however. And some familiarity with Linux.

ingineer used to do it in SFO area, but heard he recently has not been responding so I didn't include him on the list. But my info is hear say, and I have not contacted him. Nor do I currently have any reason to.
I saw a posting on TMC from ingineer. He lost his lease on the property that he had been in since forever. He had to move. He even talked about it was going to take a while to get set back up. I guess he is not setup yet.

You do know, right? that Elon says they are working on an upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU2? They are having trouble. He says its not easy. (The guy that is building a rocket to Mars says it isn't easy.) He says it will cost about $2,000. About. No idea when. Even when, it could take years to get through the cars that are out there in the fleet already.

https://ww.electrek.co/2018/03/27/tesla-mcu-retrofits-new-software-update-elon-musk/

Im assuming this is the tweet you’re referring to?

Elon Musk on Twitter

If so, that’s regarding AP2.0 -> FSD APE upgrade, not MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. From work by @verygreen, the latter sounds relatively straightforward.