Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventative eMMC Repair - options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded eMMC chip and reinstalled MCU to my car, it works not correct, no 3G connectivity, no temperature and navigation display on drive screen and there is a remind: software update required, contact Tesla service
Sounds like you should go back to whomever did the upgrade for you and get some support. You shouldn't have any issues after reinstalling it.

I upgraded eMMC chip and reinstalled MCU to my car, it works not correct, no 3G connectivity, no temperature and navigation display on drive screen and there is a remind: software update required, contact Tesla service

According the the logs the IC seems to be having trouble updating, somehow this car has the IC updated while the MCU and rest of the car did not update during a failed update after the upgraded Tegra board was placed back in car. The IC will not show complety correct information till the software matches the car. This should be resolved with a replacement IC.

It appears the user data copied over was not corrected successfully as it happens when original chip is very worn. We have had similar issues happen sometimes with the 3G issues and some of the listed symptoms that get resolved with several factory restores listed in post Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Please let us know if the factory reset and replacement IC resolves. Your welcome to send down the IC for additional testing.

Message @TonyT He's in OC and can do exactly what you are asking for.
Great posting! Hey, I have an unresponsive screen that Tesla has remotely diagnosed as a failed 'daughter' board. They are going to replace this board for free on my '16 Mod X. I cannot get a straight answer from them re: is this going to be prevent the chip failure killing so many MMCs. Do you know if the poorly speced chip is on the 'daughter' board rather than the 'mother' board. Tx for taking time to reply. All best, MM

Great posting! Hey, I have an unresponsive screen that Tesla has remotely diagnosed as a failed 'daughter' board. They are going to replace this board for free on my '16 Mod X. I cannot get a straight answer from them re: is this going to be prevent the chip failure killing so many MMCs. Do you know if the poorly speced chip is on the 'daughter' board rather than the 'mother' board. Tx for taking time to reply. All best, MM
It's not going to prevent emmc failure, it already happened. ;) The emmc chip failure is the almost certain reason why they will replace the daughterboard (which has the emmc chip soldered on it).

1st post here!. TonyT/EVFixMe did my Emmc chip recently. Great all around service! Very helpful to get me back up and running. You will need to disassemble your dash/MCU, not that difficult if you have some mechanical skills. Take your time, watch the Y0uTube vids and you can do it! I did the LTE board swap at the same time. Overall a 6 outa 10 for difficulty, Hope to recoup some of the cost as this happened right before the announcement the Tesla is now covering this repair.
Kaveman
BTW: Don't worry too much when you pull the dash pads, makes awful noises...

Reactions: TonyT
If you're still under 100k Tesla will replace the daughter board that has the eMMC, and from what I understand they are doubling the eMMC capacity to prevent this happening for many yrs to come. If you are over 100k, @TonyT will knock it out for you in no time.

Reactions: TonyT
As I have posted elsewhere, last week I booked my car in with the SC and had the daughterboard replaced as a preventative measure for $313. Initially they contacted me and tried to upgrade me to the MCU2, I declined and they went ahead with the work.

As I have posted elsewhere, last week I booked my car in with the SC and had the daughterboard replaced as a preventative measure for $313. Initially they contacted me and tried to upgrade me to the MCU2, I declined and they went ahead with the work.

Last WEEK! WTH! I have been waiting 8 weeks and they have not even shipped the part!

Which Service Center?

Hello all, I am fairly new to this and even though there is now a recall for the MCU blackout, there are also people who cant get it fixed now and I am also playing around to see how to replace the chip mainly to get some insight into electric vehicles. I want to replace the 8GB to a 64GB. Does the new chip need to be repartitioned into larger partitions? IN example the third partition is 128MB. would making it 1GB or else be necessary?