Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
There are some definite trends with early battery packs failing in earlier Model S vehicles... from day 1 builds up to about Q4'2014 and some even Q1'2015... and any cars that have had Tesla-refurbished packs installed.

The issues are all pretty much the same thing in one form or another, almost always related to moisture ingress into the battery pack via deteriorated side rail vents (which are supposed to be sealed one-way vents for safety purposes). Secondary would be moisture related rust and corrosion of the top-front of the battery pack cover due to years of standing water on top of the battery pack from the air-conditioning condensate drain line design on earlier cars which drain directly on top of the battery pack.

I figured I'd do a quick thread on this, as 057 currently has over twenty customer vehicles in the shop (yes, our shop is > 30,000 sqft), all of them with essentially the same battery issue, all out of OEM warranty, and these folks have very few options at their disposal.

First, I want to point out that I don't think Tesla is under any obligation to do anything about this. I don't think they did anything wrong, and I don't think they're going to do anything about it. I'm not sure they should do anything about it either, as they've already improved the design and this isn't really an issue on newer vehicles.

That said, I can see a huge percentage of early S vehicle being affected by this problem. Tesla already "fixed" one variant of this with the brick 6 emulation for when the sense wire on a single module is damaged (99% of the time by corrosion from moisture). Details in a writeup I did a while back here.

On our end at 057, we're refurbishing these batteries when possible, and replacing them when not. Replacements have to be newer than the problem era in order to make sense, which makes it pricier, especially since we can't just go to Tesla and buy a battery pack. We've been updating the side vents on older pack chassis, and have even been doing full transplants of hardware from older an chassis into a newer one in order to mitigate these issues for our customers.

We've already done some proactive service like this for some customers, which we're going to start offering at as low of a price as possible to our customers as a scheduled service option... although right this second we don't have the manpower to do so and officially pull the trigger on this. We're pretty swamped already (not a bad problem to have for us, but I digress...)

Where I think Tesla is doing something wrong is that they don't seem to always correct the underlying issue on their refurbished batteries that they sell to customers. Despite usually offering some kind of warranty on their somewhat expensive refurbished replacements, it doesn't make sense to me to not always correct the original issue since even with a warranty it would suck to have the downtime yet again. So you could get one of these refurbished replacements and end up in the same boat a few years later.

Not 100% sure what the best solution is for this, but here's where I'm at:

Right now, we're doing testing of some custom-made parts to be able to retrofit into these older battery packs to prevent the moisture ingress issue and better seal the pack for the long term. As part of the service we'll test for existing moisture ingress, use some custom equipment to remove any moisture from the battery pack, and give the customer an estimated idea of what we expect the long term health of their battery might be afterwards. We eventually hope to offer this as a preventative maintenance service to customers as a one-day service (scheduled in advance, of course) for < $1k, possibly by the end of the year. In my opinion, this is going to be an essential service for these vehicles once we've got it streamlined.

Depending on the level of moisture measured, we'll also offer the option of a full rebuild of the battery pack. This would be a longer process and a bit more expensive, but we would then inspect and test all of the 100+ sense connections within the battery, update other components as needed (contactors, fuse, etc), and basically do a full refurbishment on the battery pack. While we're not going to in any way require customers to go this route, the issue is that the ultrasonic welds Tesla uses on the sense connections are pretty sensitive to moisture and can fail unexpectedly even after we remove internal moisture and correct the underlying ingress issues. Once above a certain amount of moisture, which we believe we have sufficient data to have honed in on, that failure is pretty much imminent, even if it can be delayed.

Anyway, just wanted to get some feedback on this. We've gotten a lot of direct customer feedback thus far on this and pretty much everyone thinks it's an excellent plan, but figured I'd throw it out here and get some thoughts on interest and such before we really start dumping resources into making this happen.

and any cars that have had Tesla-refurbished packs installed.
I was going to ask if it was really an issue for all refurbished packs, but then you went and answered it for me: ;)
Where I think Tesla is doing something wrong is that they don't seem to always correct the underlying issue on their refurbished batteries that they sell to customers.

Anyway, just wanted to get some feedback on this.
I think this is a great idea, and the under $1k price point seems reasonable. Now if you could just provide tools/training/parts for other shops located around the country so that people don't have to make it all the way to the East coast to take advantage of this. (I'm sure there are plenty of shops that would be interested in being able to provide this preventative maintenance service, even if they couldn't provide the full refurbishment service.)

The issues are all pretty much the same thing in one form or another, almost always related to moisture ingress into the battery pack via deteriorated side rail vents
This is something I've been wondering about. I live in a desert. We rarely get rain, so the car doesn't get a lot of moisture exposure (although I guess going through car washes counts) Do you have a general idea of regions where most of these moisture damaged cars are from? Is it not as prevalent in cars from very dry climates that don't have to drive in rain much? I'm a VIN under 32K, but with a lot less water exposure than many in the country, I wonder if I might be better off for a while longer.

Would it be possible to diagnose a moisture issue without opening/removing the pack? Are there specific BMS error codes that are indicating this issue? Or would certain patterns in the brick voltages indicate this issue?

I'm getting the BMS_U029 error and according to the ScanMyTesla data, brick 13 is consistently lagging behind 0.02V compared to the other 95 bricks.
0.02V seems to be a very small issue just to justify the error/reduced battery capacity, but now I'm thinking it is only a symptom of the actual issue which might be moisture/corrosion in my pack.

My pack was replaced not even 2 years/16K miles before the error started showing up and the error has been coming and going for the past 6 months and is only persistent since this month. If moisture would be inside my pack, that would mean that they gave me a refurbished pack with the old vents? It doesn't seem reasonable to expect corrosion on the top of the battery pack to become an issue in just 2 years.

The data we have doesn't seem to show any pattern or particular locations that would be excluded, but I don't think we have enough data points to make any definitive determination there. I can note that we have a car from Phoenix, AZ at the moment, and another from San Diego. Seem like dry areas. Both have a moisture ingress issue.

So, who knows.

There's no way to check for this without removing the pack, unfortunately, unless it's already failed.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Jason, I have a 2013 model S P85 here and the pack was replaced by Tesla in 2021 w/ a refurbished unit at a cost of $14k. Is it possible to extend the A/C drain line away from the pack on these so we don't get standing water ingress on top of the original? I don't know if there is any further information posted on the forums here, but that would seem to be a priority for most owners if it can be done cost effectively to extend the life of these packs. I would assume the vent ingress issue is related to the model year of the pack... I don't know if you can give us any way to determine the date of the refurbed packs whether they do or do not have this problem by a visual inspection underneath the car. There is a user on the forums here (loganheinrich)
w/ 353k+ original miles on this model S 85 - it's a 2014 model so I don't know if it falls within the VIN range affected or not. He is still on his original battery (has around 225 mi or range) and has about 250k on the current large rear drive unit - it was replaced sometime around 2016-2017. If all model s cars had this kind of reliability, we would all pay a premium for them - even 10 years used.

We've already done some proactive service like this for some customers, which we're going to start offering at as low of a price as possible to our customers as a scheduled service option... although right this second we don't have the manpower to do so and officially pull the trigger on this. We're pretty swamped already (not a bad problem to have for us, but I digress...)

Right now, we're doing testing of some custom-made parts to be able to retrofit into these older battery packs to prevent the moisture ingress issue and better seal the pack for the long term. As part of the service we'll test for existing moisture ingress, use some custom equipment to remove any moisture from the battery pack, and give the customer an estimated idea of what we expect the long term health of their battery might be afterwards. We eventually hope to offer this as a preventative maintenance service to customers as a one-day service (scheduled in advance, of course) for < $1k, possibly by the end of the year. In my opinion, this is going to be an essential service for these vehicles once we've got it streamlined.

Depending on the level of moisture measured, we'll also offer the option of a full rebuild of the battery pack. This would be a longer process and a bit more expensive, but we would then inspect and test all of the 100+ sense connections within the battery, update other components as needed (contactors, fuse, etc), and basically do a full refurbishment on the battery pack.
Sign me up :) I have already had this discussion with one of your employees: Preventative maintenance is the name of the game when it comes to automobiles.

"Hi Jason/Crew,

My thoughts:

I am happy with the battery I have, with 200,000 km it still shows 221 miles of range, the performance and extra range of a 90 is negligible, what I really want is reliability. I thought upgrading to a freshly viewed pack would yield that. But if my existing pack were to be inspected? Are you guys able to inspect the pack to suggest its reliability in the near future? I think I read the most probably issue for failure of a pack is its BM board. Perhaps spot some corrosion issues preventively?

Warranty is up this December."

wk057: "Though we do not offer a service of preemptive inspections, you may consider signing up for our extended warranty service plan that will offer a monitoring device to flag any issues with the battery. Just a thought."

The data we have doesn't seem to show any pattern or particular locations that would be excluded, but I don't think we have enough data points to make any definitive determination there. I can note that we have a car from Phoenix, AZ at the moment, and another from San Diego. Seem like dry areas. Both have a moisture ingress issue.

So, who knows.

There's no way to check for this without removing the pack, unfortunately, unless it's already failed.
Thanks for the reply! If a pack has already failed, what would be the indications of moisture being the issue that would be visible without removing the pack?

Reactions: richrootes
It would be good to know when the air-conditioning condensate drain line was redesigned on earlier cars to keep the moisture away from the top of the battery pack.
Around the same time as the updates to the pack.

Is it possible to extend the A/C drain line away from the pack on these so we don't get standing water ingress on top of the original? I don't know if there is any further information posted on the forums here, but that would seem to be a priority for most owners if it can be done cost effectively to extend the life of these packs.
Yes, but the problem is that it's too little too late for cars that already have moisture ingress issues. It would be part of the preventative maintenance setup we're working on, but it's not likely to help if there's already an issue.
I would assume the vent ingress issue is related to the model year of the pack... I don't know if you can give us any way to determine the date of the refurbed packs whether they do or do not have this problem by a visual inspection underneath the car. There is a user on the forums here (loganheinrich)
w/ 353k+ original miles on this model S 85 - it's a 2014 model so I don't know if it falls within the VIN range affected or not. He is still on his original battery (has around 225 mi or range) and has about 250k on the current large rear drive unit - it was replaced sometime around 2016-2017. If all model s cars had this kind of reliability, we would all pay a premium for them - even 10 years used.
The refurb packs are completely hit or miss. I've seen some refurbished wonderfully, and others with even never dates done horribly.

Sign me up :) I have already had this discussion with one of your employees: Preventative maintenance is the name of the game when it comes to automobiles.
It's not something we're officially offering as of yet.

If a pack has already failed, what would be the indications of moisture being the issue that would be visible without removing the pack?
We'd be able to pull logs and query the pack for diagnostic data to look for signs at that point and be pretty sure one way or another what the issue is. Only definitive way is still a physical inspection, however.

• Helpful
Reactions: Splitert
I have a Dec 2014 car (VIN 62xxx) with a replaced battery pack (replaced with new in 2021). Assuming my car has the A/C condensate line problem of draining on top of the battery pack, is there anything improved about the design of the 2021 pack (1014116-00-B) that would protect it from moisture ingress?

Around the same time as the updates to the pack.

Yes, but the problem is that it's too little too late for cars that already have moisture ingress issues. It would be part of the preventative maintenance setup we're working on, but it's not likely to help if there's already an issue.

The refurb packs are completely hit or miss. I've seen some refurbished wonderfully, and others with even never dates done horribly.

It's not something we're officially offering as of yet.

We'd be able to pull logs and query the pack for diagnostic data to look for signs at that point and be pretty sure one way or another what the issue is. Only definitive way is still a physical inspection, however.
I ended up extending the a/c condenser drain line on my model s today. Most PIA part of the job was removing some of the carpet to get access to the tub extension that needs to come out to reach the A/C drain line and re-installing that carpet w/ a screwdriver. Since my current pack only has less than 10k miles on it, I felt it was worth the effort for less than $50 bucks worth of parts to provide a good drain path away from the battery - it might end up saving me another $14-20k down the road - probably the least expensive upgrade I could do to the car with the biggest payoff. The drain now comes out near where the front passenger control arm attaches to the frame and it's 3-4" away from the rack and pinion. I ended up using pex adapters with pex line and nothing is conductive on my setup - so no risk of shorting anything. I will have to contact Tesla and see if I can get an ID on the pack to determine if it has the better vent setup.

Last edited:
Pictures of the AC drain line extension installation - e.g. DIY HV Battery Saver Project

Attachments

• 20220918_184454.jpg
    20220918_184454.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 5,132
  • 20220918_184502.jpg
    20220918_184502.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 20220918_202442.jpg
    20220918_202442.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 622
Cool!

Judging by the color of the front hump that is a very old battery pack. I've only seen that color casing on some of the earliest packs. I'd bet this doesn't have updated anything except maybe contactors and fuse.

Tesla's not going to know or tell you if it has updated vents... in fact, the people at the service centers don't seem to have a clue what is done to refurbish them once they're sent off for it.