Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

Vendor Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014)

2016 90D -- still on the older style B2B used car warranty (until june).

The car was sagging overnight; they threw parts at it until they'd replaced the compressor, the central valve block, and both rear springs.

I wouldn't have put up with such madness if it were on my dime -- each of these is a 500+ dollar replacement.

I think the real problem with the air spring system (which I quite like) is that often times, even if there is some reasonable diagnostic process, it isn't followed and what follows is a hideously expensive game of part swapping that can cost quite a lot of money.

You should buy them some cookies to say thank you. You're going to have an almost new air suspension all the way around! I kind of wonder if the local guys don't do that as a sort of gift to their customers. Maybe a way to get around lord Elon's decrees.

Or, they could just be to busy to have time to properly look into things; throw parts at it until the problem goes away!

You should buy them some cookies to say thank you. You're going to have an almost new air suspension all the way around! I kind of wonder if the local guys don't do that as a sort of gift to their customers. Maybe a way to get around lord Elon's decrees.

Or, they could just be to busy to have time to properly look into things; throw parts at it until the problem goes away!
Working in the industrial automation field I can tell you pneumatic issues can be notoriously hard to track down. If you have one leak you probably have more…

Ex first gen allroad owner. I'm certainly happy they replaced all those parts, and I know what they cost new. Still, pretty time consuming to repair correctly without just downloading a whole new suspension, and I know if I keep the car for as long as I think I'll be keeping it I'll be spending a pile of money on repairing it at some point or other.

Ex first gen allroad owner. I'm certainly happy they replaced all those parts, and I know what they cost new. Still, pretty time consuming to repair correctly without just downloading a whole new suspension, and I know if I keep the car for as long as I think I'll be keeping it I'll be spending a pile of money on repairing it at some point or other.

So far I am about 7500 in maintenance costs if you include MCU2 and two sets of tires. Not bad but I don’t have air suspension.

Put my AC + coolant overflow drain tube in. Should have done the coolant reservoir overflow before filling up coolant post LDU rebuild. Some collant got dumped on the battery seam. The reservoir doesn't like being at MAX for some reason, seems to want puke some back out haha.

This was a bigger PITA than I thought. Mainly because of the poor working angle with many obstructions while pressing your knees on the hexgon tube floor (put the carpet with tunnel end folded up to save your knees)
  • Got a 1/2" elbow (Napa, they brought out a little bag from back store room) and 3 feet (was just enough, maybe buy 4 feet to be safe) 1/2" ID heater hose.
  • ziptied instead of clamp as the tunnel insert pushed all the way up against the drain tube to bolt it along the bottom. Don't use AC much in the Pacific Northwest so skipped searching for the rare hose that would fit over outside of current drain and inside of the 1/2" drain tube extension.
  • Cut 1" off the bottom of current drain tube so elbow doesn't become the lowest point.
  • Routed extension tube to just behind the control arm bolt head
For coolant overflow drain tube, 3 feet of 1/4" rubber tube fits (also ziptied) and routed to exit between the wheel liner and the side of chassis (battery chassis I think)

IMG_3035.jpeg IMG_3039.jpeg IMG_3037.jpeg IMG_3036.jpeg IMG_3038.jpeg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC