TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Preventing forum posts from becoming 'news'

Discussion in 'Model S' started by stevezzzz, Feb 23, 2013.

1. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks---most recently in the NY Times piece published yesterday---I've given some thought as to how I might be able to continue participating on this forum without having my musings cherry-picked by lazy journalists, without my consent.

The new sig block below is my first attempt. It may not stop anybody, but it gives me a leg to stand on if I complain to the publishers.

2. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I like it! I have yet to be quoted (which probably speaks more to the efforts of my posts than anything else), but still...

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm stealing it. Thanks.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You could also try making your sentences more complicated such that if they quote you they will have to quote incomplete sentences. For example...

Since the NYT is such trash these days, I'm glad I don't have to rely on them to get information about trivial quibbles with the Tesla implementation of the Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I took the liberty of adding a slight addendum.

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Like it, perhaps you should specifically call out Jalopnik also. Perhaps by adding "And Jalopnik, which just doesn't have a clue."

6. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Oh, geez. I feel a new meme coming on...:wink::biggrin:

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

To my knowledge, so far Jalopnik has only done the (rough) equivalent of Broder's post. They haven't done a Sullivan article or a post-settled "quote collection" article. I take far more issue with the latter two, than I do with Broder's original post. A reporter can make a mistake in many ways, but the editorial staff are supposed to have the role of "getting things right, eventually". For the NYT, clearly they fail in both reporting and editorial.

8. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I think everyone should change their user name to be something that is inappropriate or suggestive. That would solve it (and drive Doug nuts).

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

While tempted to add something about Jalopik and New York Times (before this latest thing, I wouldn't have thought I'd ever make those two organizations equivalents), I just used the generic one from Bonnie.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

What did your username used to be?

Ah, kroneal. I don't think changing your username will help. Just adds to confusion from people who have been following things here.

11. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

That won't cover you... been through this before, they can paraphrase and quote sources, if you don't want the info out there, don't post it on the internet....

12. bonnie

I think most of us are aware that it won't cover our posts from a legal perspective. But it certainly gives a little more weight to a response, saying 'my post made it clear I was to be contacted first'. It removes any doubt about intent.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. "Who is this Beavis guy? And how does he have 402 posts?"

14. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

Busted. Of course, my suggestion to change user name is really not meant to be serious. I would like the NYT to quote Beavis, though. The only way to keep from being quoted is not to post anything or to watch your language so that it is more positive.

15. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Can I be ButtHead?

16. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I will allow it.

17. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

This is an annoying development. The reality is now we cannot speak openly about the car for fear that some ass-hat fancies himself a journalist will misrepresent the information. I don't know how many of the "quotes" in that article were from before Tesla published the logs from the test car that, IMHO, clearly show Mr. Broder to be either incompetent or a liar. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's simply not very bright, btw.

Oh, and if anyone from the NYT reads this, you should know I'm deeply disappointed in your newspaper. Have the stones to come out and say when you've screwed up. In the mean time I'll be reading the Washington Post.

Oh, and you can damn well quote this post if you'd like.

18. BryanW

BryanW R#664, Model S#1526

Perhaps TMC can make Steve(many)z's sig the default sig on the forum. Or, make a pull down option with Steve's, then Bonnie and Brianman's modifications.

- - - Updated - - -

So, it appears changing one's sig is a future post only change. Is there a way to back add it to prior posts?

19. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

TMC should put a thing on the front page indicating that posts on the forum are considered to be off the record and shall not be quoted without the express written consent of the member. Include the line that by accessing the forum, the viewer is consenting to the above-listed restrictions.

20. bonnie

All my old posts show the updated signature.