Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my first black screen without cause yesterday. I hadn't driven the car in a few days, and it was accessible via the app until yesterday morning. I went out to it a few minutes before I had to leave to reset it as I knew it was locked up. The dash came up, but the MCU was dead. I double thumbed it, and it took a really long time to show something besides a black screen, but it did eventually. It is a 2013 with 53K miles on it. Does the dash lighting up, but the MCU match the usual failure mode here?

On a positive note for me, it is still under CPO warranty until April 2021 so I am not going to be taking direct action but I am very interested in this thread because I may need to do this down the road for myself or others.

I had my first black screen without cause yesterday. I hadn't driven the car in a few days, and it was accessible via the app until yesterday morning. I went out to it a few minutes before I had to leave to reset it as I knew it was locked up. The dash came up, but the MCU was dead. I double thumbed it, and it took a really long time to show something besides a black screen, but it did eventually. It is a 2013 with 53K miles on it. Does the dash lighting up, but the MCU match the usual failure mode here?

On a positive note for me, it is still under CPO warranty until April 2021 so I am not going to be taking direct action but I am very interested in this thread because I may need to do this down the road for myself or others.

Keep you eye on it. Hopefully it gets replaced in warranty. If not, I would replace the day after expiration and not wait a minute longer.

I think I found an additional symptom. My TPMS system has starting letting me know that I have "new" sensors daily. I have not changed anything with my wheels. I suspect the info is being written on failing block(s). Will see if this issue disappears after I replace my chip sometime in the future.

Ok, so i'm just waiting for my extended warranty to expire to do this preemptive emmc swap.

Does anyone have a simple but clear "how to" (preferably with some pics) take out and properly disconnect the MCU?
If you do, or know where i can get one, please let me know. (through pm if, for some reason, you don't want to post it here)

Ok, so i'm just waiting for my extended warranty to expire to do this preemptive emmc swap.

Does anyone have a simple but clear "how to" (preferably with some pics) take out and properly disconnect the MCU?
If you do, or know where i can get one, please let me know. (through pm if, for some reason, you don't want to post it here)

send me your email I have a doc with details, and reference links.

Interesting news... Elon Musk: Tesla MCU computer upgrade going to be $2,000, but don't recommend it - Electrek

upload_2019-12-19_21-53-47.png

This thread was helpful for me...
Early Model S MCU Removal- Helpful tips not in the Shop Manual

This one too, but it’s sort of an after the fact review.

Be sure to pull the MCU fuse, depending on vehicle age it will be in the frunk fuse box, or the passenger kick panel.

Oh, and btw, TonyT does excellent work. Looks like the chip has been there from day one—my tegra board with 64G chip
F1E322E5-5E36-4EE2-87CB-502426293EC0.jpeg F5F2B850-B8EA-4D70-992C-233F09AA0A17.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread was helpful for me...
Early Model S MCU Removal- Helpful tips not in the Shop Manual

This one too, but it’s sort of an after the fact review.

Be sure to pull the MCU fuse, depending on vehicle age it will be in the frunk fuse box, or the passenger kick panel.

Oh, and btw, TonyT does excellent work. Looks like the chip has been there from day one—my tegra board with 64G chip
View attachment 490507 View attachment 490508

Thank you!

Mine is a Nov. 2014 S85.
Do you know where is the MCU fuse located on this one?

Yeah, if i where on the west coast of the US i would send it to Tony, but i am in Europe.

I'm still in the weird position of needing to wait for my warranty to expire before doing any preemptive eMMC replacement. Sort of kind-of hoping for the eMMC to get fried before then so Tesla can replace it on their dime, but that would be way more of an inconvenience than just taking it down the road to @wk057 in Hickory for a swap out.

Heyyyy... maybe he'll stumble upon another 90 kWh battery and I can upgrade to a P90DL while I'm in the shop... Now I really want the eMMC/MCU to last past my warranty so I have an excuse to be in Jason's shop...

Elon goes from saying -- "you can upgrade hardware" in 2018... To "hopefully able to upgrade" in a few months. I wouldn't get too excited...

The way I read his latest quote is that in a few months he hopes they can update people that bought FSD to HW3. I don't read that as updating MCU1 to MCU2. (Unless it ends up being necessary for the HW3 upgrade, which is unlikely.)

I had my December 2916 MCU2/AP2 car in for the annual maintenance. When I dropped it off, I asked about my eMMC and they said that it still looked healthy. When I picked it up a few hours ago I asked what percentage was left. I was told that I still had 81% left. I have 25,600 miles on the car so my guess is I should get at least another 75,000 miles if I am lucky.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Target and Shateam
hi
I am trying to write the backup of the old emmc to the new emmc.
I have already saved all the emmc content.
Can someone tell me how to dump the image to the new emmc?
I've tried it with sudo dd if = / media / sda2 / backuptesla.img of = dev / sde it seems to record but it doesn't work on the car.
Do we have to do something before we dump the backup?

hi
I am trying to write the backup of the old emmc to the new emmc.
I have already saved all the emmc content.
Can someone tell me how to dump the image to the new emmc?
I've tried it with sudo dd if = / media / sda2 / backuptesla.img of = dev / sde it seems to record but it doesn't work on the car.
Do we have to do something before we dump the backup?
No, that should be it.

Do a full dd of the disk and not partition by partition. That should be sufficient.